Revv D20

What's Hot
RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11805
Does anyone have a Revv D20?

I stumbled across this last week and it looks like a fantastic home playing amp.  On top of the 5w/20w switching, single channel with 2x6L6, it seems like an idea pedal platform + it has a Two Notes Torpedo built in, all for £1,000.  Has anyone demoed one or own one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    edited April 2020

I haven't tried one personally but was impressed with this demo although to be fair Paul makes a katana sound good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4066
    I've not, but this and the G20 look pretty interesting. I was toying with going down this route recently, but stuck with the Helix instead as it serves my purposes better for now at least, and benefits from having two of the Revv channel models available now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    I have been wondering about this amp too .... im so temped as im after a jack of alltrades that could be studio rec/ interface and IRs and  practice amp plus real amp through cab paired with carr rambler for wet / drey should i ever need it ... i think its actually 2 6v6s output .... id like to hear it just as an amp through a cab in person ... its roughly the same price as a used mesa v25 but you dont get the two notes stuff obvs ....  be great if anyone else could comment ...
  • westwest Frets: 994

• BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
    I just came across this. Looks great as a do it all amp, if you don't want to ho fully digital, but want all the benefits. 

Now the Captor X has come out, I guess you could give any amp this capability for not huge money. 
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 242
    I have one. Owned it since last Autumn - fantastic for home recording. I’ve used it live a few times as well and as long as the FOH guy gives you enough in the monitors it’s great. 

I use it primarily as a pedal platform, and the cleans are quite lush. Was debating this or a Kemper originally, and whilst they’re very different - both do direct out. 

The one thing about them - if you own a cabinet - the headroom and sounds are just amazing. The Two Notes is very, very good, but you lose a little headroom ‘feel’ for lack of a better way to put it. If you spend time with the software, you can find some amazing tones. 

Quarantine time has enabled a lot of home recording and the band is loving what i can get tracked easily. 

10/10 would recommend. 
  • Kent747 said:
    I have one. Owned it since last Autumn - fantastic for home recording. I’ve used it live a few times as well and as long as the FOH guy gives you enough in the monitors it’s great. 

I use it primarily as a pedal platform, and the cleans are quite lush. Was debating this or a Kemper originally, and whilst they’re very different - both do direct out. 

The one thing about them - if you own a cabinet - the headroom and sounds are just amazing. The Two Notes is very, very good, but you lose a little headroom ‘feel’ for lack of a better way to put it. If you spend time with the software, you can find some amazing tones. 

Quarantine time has enabled a lot of home recording and the band is loving what i can get tracked easily. 

10/10 would recommend. 
    Did you ever try the G20, wondering how different the clean channel is from the D20?
  • Kent747 said:

10/10 would recommend. 
    Did you ever try the G20, wondering how different the clean channel is from the D20?

My comments below relate to the direct output on both amps into my studio monitors. I haven't used the amps with a cab.

I've had both the G20 and D20. The clean channels are very different. The D20 Clean has more character and is a bit more dynamic and tweakable as you can activate a gain boost by pulling out the gain control. I actually preferred it with the gain boost activated with the gain around 10 oclock. It added a tiny bit of hair so it wasn't so sterile so when you dig in on a bridge humbucker you get light breakup, switch to a neck single coil and its chimy clean.

It's a lovely clean sound and is a great basis for adding pedals on top.

The G20 clean is a bit more sterile and very clean. You will struggle to any break up at all. With the wide switch activated you get a tiny tiny bit. The gain control is redundant on this channel on the G20, you only have the volume, the EQ and the wide switch.

It's fine as is as a clean channel and will get you through a gig in a pinch. Some people will like this style of clean and will be perfectly happy with it. For me I like a bit of hair as I can't stand very clean cleans, I find it too sterile for me. 

As a work around I'm using my G20 with a HX effects. Slamming the front end with the LA comp gets me enough break up to where I'm very happy with the clean channel. 

I actually traded my D20 for a G20 with a guy who works at Two Notes. We both agreed that the ultimate amp would be the D20 clean channel with the G20 dirty channel. I think it would be the ultimate gigging amp.

• firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    edited June 2020
    Kent747 said:

10/10 would recommend. 

My comments below relate to the direct output on both amps into my studio monitors. I haven't used the amps with a cab.

I've had both the G20 and D20. The clean channels are very different. The D20 Clean has more character and is a bit more dynamic and tweakable as you can activate a gain boost by pulling out the gain control. I actually preferred it with the gain boost activated with the gain around 10 oclock. It added a tiny bit of hair so it wasn't so sterile so when you dig in on a bridge humbucker you get light breakup, switch to a neck single coil and its chimy clean.

The G20 clean is a bit more sterile and very clean. You will struggle to any break up at all. With the wide switch activated you get a tiny tiny bit. The gain control is redundant on this channel on the G20, you only have the volume, the EQ and the wide switch.

It's fine as is as a clean channel and will get you through a gig in a pinch. Some people will like this style of clean and will be perfectly happy with it. For me I like a bit of hair as I can't stand very clean cleans, I find it too sterile for me. 

As a work around I'm using my G20 with a HX effects. Slamming the front end with the LA comp gets me enough break up to where I'm very happy with the clean channel. 

I actually traded my D20 for a G20 with a guy who works at Two Notes. We both agreed that the ultimate amp would be the D20 clean channel with the G20 dirty channel. I think it would be the ultimate gigging amp.

Thanks for that, it clears up a lot of my questions. So, D20 with a Revv G2 or G3 (or both) could be the ideal setup. 
  • Kent747 said:

10/10 would recommend. 

Thanks for that, it clears up a lot of my questions. So, D20 with a Revv G2 or G3 (or both) could be the ideal setup. 
    I had this exact setup with the D20. I had both the G2 and G3. The Revv pedals are good but not a patch on the G20 dirty channel. That’s why I was determined to make the G20 work for me with the clean channel.  
    Kent747 said:

10/10 would recommend. 
    I have not, but it appears others have an have given good assessments of the clean on D20. It also sounds phenomenal through a cabinet - which makes it super versatile. I wasn’t so sure on the 6V6 to begin with, but have come round. 
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I’m very keen on trying one. The only thing I’m not sold on is the lack of reverb. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    The two notes software has built in room reverbs if that's how you were primarily thinking of using it.
    TTBZ said:
    The two notes software has built in room reverbs if that's how you were primarily thinking of using it.
    Was more in the live situations that I’d prefer it
  • There is a Revv D20 on EBay starting price £750. Collection only from Reading, too far for me or I'd be after it...
    TTBZ said:
    This is the one area I don’t feel like holds up. Running a Subdecay Spring Theory in the FX works far better than the algorithms in the Torpedo. 
    There is a Revv D20 on EBay starting price £750. Collection only from Reading, too far for me or I'd be after it...
    Let's see what the postman brings on Tuesday :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    edited July 2020
    PC_Dave said:
    There is a Revv D20 on EBay starting price £750. Collection only from Reading, too far for me or I'd be after it...
    Let's see what the postman brings on Tuesday
    Looking forward to hearing what you think...I’m more or less sold on getting one, just need to move a couple of things on. It’s either the D20 or G20 but the sweeter clean/crunch sounds of the D20 are selling it for me at the moment.
    PC_Dave said:
    Let's see what the postman brings on Tuesday :)
    Looking forward to hearing what you think...
    Yeah me too - I don't usually take a punt on amps without trying them first, but i've been watching a lot of Shawn Tubbs videos and he gets some amazing sounds, so hopefully i'll get on with it.... Will update when it arrives tomorrow!
    Well, it arrived all in one piece (always a bonus!) First impressions are - it’s a strong, sturdy bit of kit. It sounds good with everything at noon, and the gain knob pushed in. I was using the 4 watt setting at home, and it’s got a lovely character to the clean sound - Fendery with a bit of a Vox-esque top end. Very little breakup throughout the volume range. 

Haven’t even gone done the Torpedo route yet, that’s for tomorrow.....