2020 Fretboard Virtual Running Club

What's Hot

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    yeah got in touch with support on the off chance too as apparently the motor is a lifetime warranty but given non-essential business staffing at the moment Im guessing it might be out of action for a while. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    It's a walk for me today! Had a few days off while my legs recovered and I think they're nearly ready to start training on again! I really don't want to end up with shin splints this early on while the motivation is good!
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    edited July 2020
    @Rich210 ;; make sure you stretch out calves and front of shin after each run . Also the shorten stride/up cadence can help.

Most people stretch calves but not front of shin (tibialis anterior) which can get tight (shin splints). I do this this stretch since is also gives a stretch to quads too (bonus). Just sitting on ankles really.

But can also do standing up

Icing for 15-20 mins regular will help get inflamation down.

Hope it heals up soon.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    Also any tips on pacing? Most of the time I jsut whack it on 10 k/hr and forget about it unless im going for a PB.Im worried im going to knacker myself too quickly without that artificial pacing
    Yep, treadmills do rather control the pacing for you. Suggest that you start out a bit slower for first 1-2 km or 10mins (i.e. keep it easier than you think) and then increase slightly each 5 mins until you find a happy pace. Breathing rate is a good indicator. Also the body is usually in an oxygen debt at beginning of the run so a tad slower allows you to get a better idea of what's happening after 10 mins or so.  It's a useful skill to be able to pace.

When I started running I used to rely on pace on the watch. Always slowing down, speeding up and never settling. I had a half marathon coming up and decided to run it based on effort. So I practiced for a couple of weeks with 3 levels of effort. Easy below pace, hard but can hold for an hour and really hard. I tied these into watch so had an idea of what those paces were. On half marathon day I ran every mile within 5 seconds of each other and the last mile the fastest.  So the easy/faster element was subtle but enough to give a comfortable race.

Ruuning on roads is more consistent. If you run off road then pace doesn't really work due to the terrain, hills etc. Hence effort is a better indicator.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    mcsdan said:
    @Rich210 ;; make sure you stretch out calves and front of shin after each run . Also the shorten stride/up cadence can help.

Most people stretch calves but not front of shin (tibialis anterior) which can get tight (shin splints). I do this this stretch since is also gives a stretch to quads too (bonus). Just sitting on ankles really.

But can also do standing up

Icing for 15-20 mins regular will help get inflamation down.

Hope it heals up soon.

Cheers for this man! I went for a long walk yesterday and it flared back up again! I'll do these exercises and ice them off
    No worries, hope it heals up quickly. Biggest issue with running is avoiding injury.
    after work run. 4.8 miles. Got caught in the rain on the way back although I was sweating buckets anyway!

1.9 mile warmup jog

1mile  hill repeats = 2 sets of 3 reps (6) 30 second hill repeats up a very steep hill at about 9/10 effort. 2min jog back to recover. Extra 2 min recovery between sets

1.9 miles cool down jog back

Good quality session and 2 x 3 was just about right. Will increase from 30s to 45s next week to keep heart rate up just a tad longer/higher.
    4.4 miles this morning including warm up, 10 mins at tempo pace and cool down. First tempo run for a while so pace was a little difficult to judge but first few always are. Building the tempo duration over next couple of weeks so will increase to 15 mins next week then 20 mins.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    Been at the office for approx 70 hours this week, and still supporting our new app launch today with pubs re opening. So I’ve written off this week completely and try to reset for next week
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Nice runs @mcsdan, I did 2 x 5k and a 5.5 miler in the week, a 5.5 today then a 6 tomorrow for this weeks training and they've all gone fine.

I need to increase the strength in my right knee though as moves horizontally too much or it feels like it so i need to start mixing some strength stuff in too.
    check out glute exercises. Often they are weak and can't control the knee. Hence why squats/deadlifts are good for runners.

good set of runs @king85. I've got long run tomorrow to finish this week off.

nice one @joneve. Keeping the country running in a different sense :)
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    A nice hour doing my boxer’s plod around the park. Few people around. Nice cooling breeze. Spot of rain. Good all round. 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Iamnobody said:
    Deadman said:
    Not a bad week. 5k is down to 25 minutes now. I'm going to run in the rain later, anyone else like getting wet?
    Nice work. I don’t mind a wet run, also like a night time one. I’d just got to ~ 26min with my 5k before my knee went. 

2 months rest and I’m 4 post-injury runs in but taking it steady at around 30 min now. I think pushing myself and looking for an improvement every time I left the house contributed to fucking my knee up. That and not stretching/warming up...
    Taking it steady didn’t work. This week I’ve PB’d my 5k and 10ks. Back to taking it steady now though as I want to remain injury free. 

I think I’m going to settle on a couple of longer runs each week (7.5-10k) separated by 3/4 days proper warm up and warm downs, freeze gel & elevation after and see if I can keep that going for a month or two. 

I’d love to run every day/every other day but my body tells me otherwise. My knee feels like it’s never far away from failing  :/

I’m also going to get my gait analysed again just to check the neutral shoes are correct for me.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    edited July 2020
    off road marathon today 26.21 miles. All self supported so carrying all the water(heavy) and full back pack. Plus navigating too. Some of the fields/paths were almost impasable with shoulder high weeds, grass and stingers. I'd like to think my legs got a bit of sun but I think they are red due to all the stings! Took it nice and easy since it is training and consistency pays off more.  I did this same route just over 2 years ago in March 2018 and was probably at my fittest then. However today's run was 25 min quicker despite carry the heavy back pack and having to fight through the terrain.  So pleased with direction of fitness atm.

Finishes week on 48.79 miles of running over 5 runs with a mix longer aerobic endurance runs, shorter faster one and some hill reps for strength.

Also lost another 2lbs in weight.

Good week.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Only did 2 runs this week. Nothing of note to report. My sandals' footbed can get a bit slippery in the wet, so fingers crossed for drizzle at most next week.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    Iamnobody said:
    Iamnobody said:
    Deadman said:
    Not a bad week. 5k is down to 25 minutes now. I'm going to run in the rain later, anyone else like getting wet?
    Nice work. I don’t mind a wet run, also like a night time one. I’d just got to ~ 26min with my 5k before my knee went. 

2 months rest and I’m 4 post-injury runs in but taking it steady at around 30 min now. I think pushing myself and looking for an improvement every time I left the house contributed to fucking my knee up. That and not stretching/warming up...
    Taking it steady didn’t work. This week I’ve PB’d my 5k and 10ks. Back to taking it steady now though as I want to remain injury free. 

I think I’m going to settle on a couple of longer runs each week (7.5-10k) separated by 3/4 days proper warm up and warm downs, freeze gel & elevation after and see if I can keep that going for a month or two. 

I’d love to run every day/every other day but my body tells me otherwise. My knee feels like it’s never far away from failing  :/

I’m also going to get my gait analysed again just to check the neutral shoes are correct for me.

Balancing out loads with running is something most runners struggle with. I used to coach many runners and the biggest issue was getting them to stay on plan and do the easy days easy and/or rest. The body adapts during the rest/recovery periods and gets stronger so needs the opportunity to do that.

Resting/recovery doesn't have to mean not doing anything. It could be a walk - helps strengthen ligaments/tendons etc, cyclining (road or mtb) helps to keep legs active and provides some aerobic development too, swimming - water supports bodyor easy running and keeping the pace/distance/heart rate down.  Likewise it can be having a few beers and playing your guitar.

Consistency pays off and if that means changing what/how you run so say one effort per week, one slower longer and one easy run then you'll get far better progess than going for PBs each time. It is very personal what wokrs and it does change over time. Well done on the PBs BTW :)

It is worth getting GAIT checked again and also in the trainers you use. Some neutral shoes are less neutral then others and support shoes (over pronation) vary quite a lot too. You'll often hear runners sticking to a certain brand of trainer - mostly due to that brands implementation or neutral, support etc is fairly consistent in their range.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Just 4 x 30 minute runs this week, been really busy and struggled to fit 'em in somewhat. Still maintaining 200 press ups a day though, I drop and do 25 in the strangest places sometimes.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    @Deadman 200 over the course of the day here and there, as opposed to 200 in one hit?! 

Otherwise you are Brian Jacques off Record Breakers, and I claim my free flexidisc of ‘Dedication’. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Redlester said:
    @Deadman 200 over the course of the day here and there, as opposed to 200 in one hit?! 

Otherwise you are Brian Jacques off Record Breakers, and I claim my free flexidisc of ‘Dedication’. 
    :lol: legend.

Nah, 200 spread out. 100 AM, 100 PM generally. 8 sets of 25 in fact. I partnered a guy who did 100 in 60 seconds once in a fitness test. And he had a few seconds left!
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    mcsdan said:
    off road marathon today 26.21 miles. All self supported so carrying all the water(heavy) and full back pack. Plus navigating too. Some of the fields/paths were almost impasable with shoulder high weeds, grass and stingers. I'd like to think my legs got a bit of sun but I think they are red due to all the stings! Took it nice and easy since it is training and consistency pays off more.  I did this same route just over 2 years ago in March 2018 and was probably at my fittest then. However today's run was 25 min quicker despite carry the heavy back pack and having to fight through the terrain.  So pleased with direction of fitness atm.

Finishes week on 48.79 miles of running over 5 runs with a mix longer aerobic endurance runs, shorter faster one and some hill reps for strength.

Also lost another 2lbs in weight.

Good week.

Just a cheeky solo marathon, no big deal =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom