London Plane DC Build

What's Hot

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    tFB Trader
     I use the stuff in the link below to remove any sticky mess left by type or sticky labels, It does not leave any residual whatsoever or stain the wood.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mykal-Sticky-Stuff-Remover-250ml/dp/B000TAT4GM/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Sticky+remover&qid=1593808877&sr=8-5

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    That looks very useful     I tried two types of binding tape - one cheap generic and one "luthier" and both left residue and strips of fibres which took a lot of scraping and shifting.  Thanks for the tip 

One of the best Melody Maker style guitars I have seen Steve - looks like its going to be a great guitar.  You're work is so neat and precise. 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7006
    edited July 2020 tFB Trader
    I fitted the neck yesterday and today I've grain filled the mahogany, ready for some lacquer in the week.

I might re-carve the heel first though to take away some of the thickness there...
    tFB Trader
    I sprayed a sealer coat of clear lacquer and the London plane has taken on a lovely golden hue.

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    oh yes ....very nice top indeed !    Love that contrast with the B/W binding. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Ruddy marvellous !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2607
    tFB Trader
    Ohh yeah.. Thats the stuff  :+1:   Never get sick of looking at that grain..  Nice work.  We need a whole body shot now.. Thats just a tease :)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1479
    That clear coat has really made the wood pop.  It looks great and I bet it's a great contrast to the tortoiseshell binding.
    tFB Trader
    Thanks everyone.
    Rabs said:
    Ohh yeah.. Thats the stuff  :+1:   Never get sick of looking at that grain..  Nice work.  We need a whole body shot now.. Thats just a tease :)
     I will once it's looking a bit more even. I've flatted the first coat back and will get another on tomorrow, maybe some colour on the back and sides too. I'm not going to colour the top at all.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    That looks real class Steve - beautiful work.

Am I right in thinking that the neck tenon doesn't go far into the body - ie not as far as the neck p'up cavity?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    That looks real class Steve - beautiful work.

Am I right in thinking that the neck tenon doesn't go far into the body - ie not as far as the neck p'up cavity?
    Thanks, and yes that's right it runs a few mm short of the fretboard end.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    It's a beautiful wood, isn't it :)  Great job too @SteveRobinson  ;
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    I've got the top routed now, it's having mini humbuckers, in Firebird style surrounds.

Steve, how did you cut the slot for the switch?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    @Roland ;I used a trick someone (I forget who sorry) mentioned on here. I drilled pilot holes for the screw positions and screwed down a Tele control plate. I drilled lots of 2mm holes close together inside the control plate slot then moving the drill bit side to side joined the holes. Then I removed the control plate, tidied the slot using a small flat file and drilled out the fixing holes with a 3.6mm bit.

I'd previously always used a Dremel and the StewMac router base; this method is less prone to errors and produced just as good a result.

Where the switch locates inside the cavity I've thinned the top to about 3mm with a pass of a 1/2" bit. It's probably a bit longer than it needed to be. I originally cut the Les Paul style cavity intending a different control layout so was a bit constrained by it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks Steve. That’s very helpful. I’ve previously drilled end holes for the slot and connected them with a Stanley knife and metal edge. It’s OK when the switch is parallel with the grain, but more risky when it’s cross grain or at an angle. My Klein build has a cross grain slot, and the wood doesn’t cut cleanly, even with a sharp blade. I’ll try multiple holes.
    This build is excellent. A marvellous advertisement for your work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    I've got the top routed now, it's having mini humbuckers, in Firebird style surrounds.

those torty pickup rings look good!
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    those torty pickup rings look good!
    Thank you for the Etsy tip @WezV! ;

I'm as yet undecided whether to use them and  think I'll use them and no pickguard or use gold rings and a torty guard. Both would be tortoise overkill I think. I'll see what it looks like when I start to assemble.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    depends on pickup covers i think.  

I think torty rings and a small black bevelled 5-ply guard would look rather good with the colour the top is going.  I'm not sure it really needs a guard though

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    Roland said:
    @Roland ;I used a trick someone (I forget who sorry) mentioned on here. I drilled pilot holes for the screw positions and screwed down a Tele control plate. I drilled lots of 2mm holes close together inside the control plate slot then moving the drill bit side to side joined the holes. Then I removed the control plate, tidied the slot using a small flat file and drilled out the fixing holes with a 3.6mm bit.

I'm pinching that trick too!

I'd planned on the Dremel router approach - and have done that before - but your approach sounds safer and is clearly neater.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.