Need a cheap bass for recording

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
I have a 2 weeks leave from work coming up and we're not going on hols so I have decided to spend the time getting more familiar with Logic Pro X, my barely used HX Stomp and record some music, just some basic guitar. bass. drums tracks. I will use my elec guitars through HX Stomp or via the cab clone on my Mesa Boogie, use the Drummer function in Logic but need a bass to record through the HX Stomp to complete the tracks.

I love Fender Precision bases but not looking to spend much at all just for a bass that will be used barely at all and sit in my wardrobe for 95% of the time.

What can I get for £100-150 that will give a decent P-Bass type tone for some recording?

I've seen the Squier mini P-Bass is £139 and there Ibanez GR180 is not much more at £159. That's about the limit, not really looking to spend much more than that.

What would you recommend?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Squier Jag SS is very cheap and versatile for recording 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Any second hand 'distributor brand' P-Bass copy (Stagg, Westfield etc) for about £75-£100, and some decent strings.

It's actually quite hard to make a truly bad P-Bass :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    ICBM said:
    Any second hand 'distributor brand' P-Bass copy (Stagg, Westfield etc) for about £75-£100, and some decent strings.

It's actually quite hard to make a truly bad P-Bass :).
    Ok ta. I'll have on the 'Bay see what's around

• duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    Bought one of these last year for messing around with at home with Reaper. Am very happy with it.

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/tmb100_1p_04.html
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The Basses £ section is awash with affordable/functional budget bass guitars. 

The Squier Mini is fun but not really good enough for serious work.

The Ibanez Soundgear GSR or its Cort Action equivalent would do. 

Yamaha RBX and Attitude Plus are worth a look.

Be seeing you.
    The Basses £ section is awash with affordable/functional budget bass guitars. 

The Squier Mini is fun but not really good enough for serious work.

The Ibanez Soundgear GSR or its Cort Action equivalent would do. 

Yamaha RBX and Attitude Plus are worth a look.

I'll have a look.

The Harley Benton P-Bass is £90 form Thomann

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    The Ibanez Talman basses get a lot of love.

Used Vintage basses - as a brand they lose a lot of money but the basses compare really well to the better Squiers so there are bargains to be had.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    The Harley Benton P-Bass is £90 form Thomann
    £1 more than the kit version.  :)
    Be seeing you.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    A Westone Thunder is going to be the best bass you'll get for that sort of money.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've had a HB bass and it was very good considering the price. 
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    edited July 2020
    I have something perfect that was £400 but it's a J-style at £150
    This Cort Action PJ looks like it will do the job at £189, I like the satin walnut body, looks classier than a glossy thick finish. It has that horrible Jazz bass bridge pickup which will be firmly turned off if I do get one!

https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?ca_id=103040&it_id=182&page=3

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    edited July 2020
    If you can find one second hand, the discontinued Indonesian made Squier P Bass Special is very good.  It has a PJ configuration but you don't have to use the bridge pick up.

Or as @prowla said above, a Westone Thunder.  The Westone's have quite wide necks though, and can be heavy.  If you don't mind that, they may be the best basses you will get in your price range.

As a guitarist, the 32" scale Westone Concord might be a bit easier to play, so that might be worth a look as well.

It has that horrible Jazz bass bridge pickup which will be firmly turned off if I do get one!
    Why buy a bass with a weak-sounding buzz generator that you’ll never use? ;)

The purpose of the Jazz bridge pickup is to cancel the noise from the real pickup, but when the real pickup is a P-type then it actually adds it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    Toontrack ezbass? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
    ICBM said:

It has that horrible Jazz bass bridge pickup which will be firmly turned off if I do get one!
    Why buy a bass with a weak-sounding buzz generator that you’ll never use?

The purpose of the Jazz bridge pickup is to cancel the noise from the real pickup, but when the real pickup is a P-type then it actually adds it...
    But what If I get an urge to adjust the strap so the bass in under my chin and prance around plink plunking and slapping slightly odd and inappropriate chord voicings with a nasally obnoxious tone from the Jazz bass bridge pickup...like...Jaco Pasteurized? 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RandallFlagg said:

But what If I get an urge to adjust the strap so the bass in under my chin and prance around plink plunking and slapping slightly odd and inappropriate chord voicings with a nasally obnoxious tone from the Jazz bass bridge pickup...like...Jaco Pasteurized? 
    Ah. Well in that case you need to replace the buzz generator with a Duncan Hot Jazz Stack, those aren't too bad... better-sounding and noise-cancelling.

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    also worth noting that if you have a decent compressor and EQ pedal in your arsenal they work well on basses for solid recording tones too and amp in anox pedals also substitute for a bass amp. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    ICBM said:

Why buy a bass with a weak-sounding buzz generator that you’ll never use?

Jaco plays plunk plink not plink plunk  :#