Another "which new DAW" question / workflow based

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    That Waveform comment was meant for the OP @MooseAboot ;
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3124
    Jalapeno said:
    That Waveform comment was meant for the OP @MooseAboot ;
    ;)
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Reaper is a madman. It can do anything to do with audio that you would ever want to do, but it's quite tricky to get your head around and is so customizeable that you'll waste half your life doing that side of things. So I'd suggest other hosts before that one.
    It's only mad if you are a tweaker and fiddler. If you stick to recording and mixing it'll be a quick learning curve.

I don't worry about skins and stuff.

I started routing midi drums to other tracks and converting guitar parts to keyboards after and stuff after a few hundred hours.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Bill_S said:
    Snap said:
    How can you have a DAW that doesn't support VSTs? Does this mean you can't use a VST in it? That seems utterly pointless.
    Especially when you can get full loaded DAWs like Cakewalk, that will do whatever you like, for free.
    You pay your money (unless it’s free of course)and make a choice. For me, Studio One Pro is worth every penny. I used Cakewalk’s Sonar for 10 years, and have the free fully featured version now, but never use it. 
    Yeah, but, no VSTs?

I have used Cakewalk for donkey's, going back to the mid 90s. Started with Cubase, then gradually moved over toe Cakewalk. I had the last paid version, full monty, before it went free. The latest version is unbelievably well featured, and for free!
    I have had a few issues with Cakewalk though. It's been glitchy and some of the midi routing can go weird but they seemed to have ironed most of that out with the latest versions. Its' not perfect, and if I were starting again with something that costs money I would probably go down the Cubase/Studio 1 route, but for a free DAW Cakewalk is outstanding and IMO leaves Reaper standing.
  • Bill_SBill_S Frets: 103
    Snap said:
    Bill_S said:
    Snap said:
    How can you have a DAW that doesn't support VSTs? Does this mean you can't use a VST in it? That seems utterly pointless.
    Especially when you can get full loaded DAWs like Cakewalk, that will do whatever you like, for free.
    You pay your money (unless it’s free of course)and make a choice. For me, Studio One Pro is worth every penny. I used Cakewalk’s Sonar for 10 years, and have the free fully featured version now, but never use it. 
    Yeah, but, no VSTs?

I have used Cakewalk for donkey's, going back to the mid 90s. Started with Cubase, then gradually moved over toe Cakewalk. I had the last paid version, full monty, before it went free. The latest version is unbelievably well featured, and for free!
    I have had a few issues with Cakewalk though. It's been glitchy and some of the midi routing can go weird but they seemed to have ironed most of that out with the latest versions. Its' not perfect, and if I were starting again with something that costs money I would probably go down the Cubase/Studio 1 route, but for a free DAW Cakewalk is outstanding and IMO leaves Reaper standing.
    It’s good to hear Cakewalk is more stable now. When I was forced to swap DAWs when Sonar went belly up three years ago I moved to Studio One Pro, and within about a week, I was wishing I’d done it years before. The single biggest thing was that SO just worked. It basically never crashed, and that was a whole new experience for me. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    That is good to know @Bill_S re Studio One. I do wonder if a change of DAW would be a good idea. Change is a good as a rest etc.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Reaper is a madman. It can do anything to do with audio that you would ever want to do, but it's quite tricky to get your head around and is so customizeable that you'll waste half your life doing that side of things. So I'd suggest other hosts before that one.
    It's only mad if you are a tweaker and fiddler. If you stick to recording and mixing it'll be a quick learning curve.

I don't worry about skins and stuff.

I started routing midi drums to other tracks and converting guitar parts to keyboards after and stuff after a few hundred hours.
    Sounds like a support group

After 10 hours I had recorded a song for my band with midi drums and synths
    After 100 hours I had setup dynamic colour coding so any track with bass in the name turns purple etc.
    After 200 hours I had setup a complex set of folder tracks and sends to cope with any conceivable combination of instruments and saved as atemplate
    After 300 hours I mastered automation items.
    After 500 hours I had installed the SWS extensions and integrated them into my workflow

Before I knew it I was renting cheap motel rooms so I could get away from my family for long enough to write customer JS plugins and scripts to accomplish tasks that consumed at most a few minutes of my time per month.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom