Need a cheap bass for recording

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I agree with @crunchman about the weight of the Westone Thunder, but presumably you'd be sitting for recording.

OTOH, I have a Warwick RB 5-string I assembled from parts available for £250, but that's outside of budget.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    This Cort Action PJ ... has that horrible Jazz bass bridge pickup
    Truth be told, BOTH of those Powersound pickups are horrible. In the longer term, you will probably want to replace the electronics and the bridge.

This ... https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/171484/fs-ibanez-gsr200-80#latest ... minus its stock pickups and electronics, plus a serious P-type pickup and two pots would fit the bill. [No affiliation, BTW.] 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I picked up an Ibanez SR300 from Peach a while back.  It's got a variety of tone options and as it's got a relatively thin, slim neck, it's easy to play as a guitarist.  
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    This Cort Action PJ ... has that horrible Jazz bass bridge pickup
    Truth be told, BOTH of those Powersound pickups are horrible. In the longer term, you will probably want to replace the electronics and the bridge.

This ... https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/171484/fs-ibanez-gsr200-80#latest ... minus its stock pickups and electronics, plus a serious P-type pickup and two pots would fit the bill. [No affiliation, BTW.] 
    I can't be arsed with a 300 mile round trip though

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14410
    edited July 2020
    RandallFlagg said:
    I can't be arsed with a 300 mile round trip
    I know the feeling. I collected some items locally on behalf of somebody. This weekend will be the first opportunity in Wales to travel further than "locally" to meet him half way.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    The Ibanez sound gear series is great for the money.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I would go second hand P-bass copy (Squier, SX, and alike) and if new is a must then I'd check Harley Bentons offering.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5615
    I picked up a Squier Affinity PJ Bass a couple of years ago just for recording.

They're pretty good right off the peg but I fettled mine a bit, rolled the fingerboard edges and made a few other tweaks.  For the money I really can't complain.  It sounds good to my ears too.

Still can't play bass for toffee, though.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.