Revv D20

What's Hot

Comments

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Update on this - took the amp to rehearsal yesterday.... I absolutely love it. I usually use a Blackstar HT20 MKii with a matching 2x12, but I used the D20 into a Palmer 1x12 and then DI’d to the desk using the 4x12 with a 121 and a 57 in the cab sim, with a hint of reverb. It’s a revelation for me! The amp was on the crunch setting with a hint of breakup which cleaned up using the volume on the Suhr, and overdrive came from my Lightspeed, Vertex Steel String, and a J Rockett GTO. Every tone I need, and so easy to get!

I’m completely sold with this - the Blackstar is going up for sale shortly. A slight re-jig of the pedal board to incorporate a couple more pedals, and I’m done.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Something coming in the post for me next week, hope I get it before Wednesday for band rehearsal...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine's at home waiting for me, can't wait to try it out later...
  • So finally fired it up through headphones then to a PA cab, not used a guitar cab yet. Quickly realised I’ll need to get my head around MIDI  again, haven’t used it in years. Couldn’t work it out on Helix but AX8 was straight forward. 

As has been said before, being a valve amp there is literally no digital artefact in the tone. The feel is faultless as well. What I’m most excited about is using the virtual power valves for overdrive, it’s superb. The character of EL84s and EL34s etc really comes through.

Rehearsing on Monday so need to start making patches over the weekend...

@firepaulmusic - Glad you’re enjoying it so far. I was blown away with it when I cranked it at first rehearsal - had a DI to the PA using the stock Revv 4x12 cab emulation, and it just sat in the mix of the band so well. I now run a Victory V40 and D20 together and it just sounds mint. 
  • PC_Dave said:
    @firepaulmusic - Glad you’re enjoying it so far. I was blown away with it when I cranked it at first rehearsal - had a DI to the PA using the stock Revv 4x12 cab emulation, and it just sat in the mix of the band so well. I now run a Victory V40 and D20 together and it just sounds mint. 
    I’m thinking that the power amp emulations will be my main go to for live stuff. Although the pedal emulations on the AX8 are brilliant so will be looking a 4-cable method as well. Looking forward to actually hearing it as a valve amp though my 1x12 Marshall cab...
  • pedalopedalo Frets: 178
    I’ve just got one of these. Sounds great so far through my Orange 2x12 open back Cab. I want to reserve that for my rockerverb though so thinking of picking up a 1x12 that will pair well with the D20 - any recommendations?

A couple of noob questions:

can any changes that you make with the 6 virtual cab selector change or the pre/post button affect the sound that comes out of the real cab? I think the answer is no but just checking!

does the switch on the cab need to be pressed in to mute the cabinet in order for the headphones to work? 

Thanks!
    @pedalo ;

Great choice getting the D20.

I’ve got a Palmer 1x12 with a Celestion G12 creamback and it sounds really good.

You’re correct, the physical cab output isn’t changed by the Two Notes out.

Haven’t tried the headphone out whilst connected to a cab - I know that it defaults to cab sim automatically if you switch it on with no cab connected regardless of the switch position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    PC_Dave said:
    @pedalo ;

Great choice getting the D20.

I’ve got a Palmer 1x12 with a Celestion G12 creamback and it sounds really good.

You’re correct, the physical cab output isn’t changed by the Two Notes out.

Haven’t tried the headphone out whilst connected to a cab - I know that it defaults to cab sim automatically if you switch it on with no cab connected regardless of the switch position.
    Thanks for answering all my questions so quickly :)

I’ll take a look at the Palmer. 

It only arrived yesterday so gonna spend most of the day playing around with it. Will go try the headphones now. 

Good that it does that automatically. I did read that if you have a speaker cable in the D20 but not actually connected to the speaker at the other end then that is the one thing that could ruin the amp so I’ll have to watch out for that. 
    Eugh it’s so good through headphones. Think I’ll sell my Kemper.
    pedalo said:
    Eugh it’s so good through headphones. Think I’ll sell my Kemper.
    It really is. The one thing that sold it for me big time was the ability to get great sounds immediately, with zero faff - all using the "stock" cab sims. I haven't delved into buying any IR's for it yet, but I can only imagine how good it will be with them.

When I play live, I have it going through the PA using the stock 4x12 with the 57 and 121 with a touch of reverb. It sounds huge, and doesn't detract from the sound behind me. Sits in the mix with the band very well indeed.
    edited April 2021
    Yes I totally agree - I get bogged down with Kemper options and it never really sounds quite how I want it to. I’ve thrown money after it with a power amp and a Kabinet and still rarely use 

• westwest Frets: 994
    chaps ... have you tried any drive pedals with your D20s yet ? if so whats good ?
    edited April 2021
    I’m going to dig out my Broadcast this weekend as it sounded underwhelming with my Rockerverb but sounded amazing with a Princeton i briefly had. 

i found this around 7.00 its being used with a revv g3 drive sounds pretty good ...

@west I've got a Greer Lightspeed, Jackson Audio Broken Arrow, Revv G2 and a JRD GTO and they all sound really, really good. The drives from the HX Stomp sound extremely good as well. I find that if I have the amp set with the gain knob pulled out, so the "crunch" setting, it lights up with pedals.
    @PC_Dave ; thanks dude ...
    edited November 2021
    Chaps all ... i bought KD's G20 , so far its fantastic ! just as an amp through my mesa 1x12 widebody cab with black shadow 90 its so rich and dynamic and no worries for me re; the clean channel very shimmery great with the wide switch ( would never turn it off )  theres way too much gain for my purposes but the knob goes both ways lol ...  put my neunaber reverb and el capistan through the fx loop and looper and an rc boost on the clean channel .
    ive DL the 2 notes software  and can see it interacting and changing the cabs when i turn the control on the amp but , when i went to do a factory reset it wouldnt allow me as a guest to do this, anyone know if you are able to re-register in your own name ...

anyway its mega so far ... it looks a bit like a toy but its far from that ...! i only wish id had one of these in my session heyday ... 
  • So I managed to get hold of a 2nd G20 (I should never have sold the first one!!). Anyway this new one is behaving a bit strange. 

Basically I have the amp hooked up to my Mac via USB and the Two Notes app open.

The Input level meter in the Two notes app on the left hand side is lighting up to the first yellow light on the level meter. This is without anything being plugged into the amp input. So the amp is registering a pretty strong level without anything being plugged into it. If I plug a guitar into it with all the faders set to unity in the app, the amp is clipping badly. I can't remember my first amp ever doing this at the same settings.

There is nothing engaged in the app (EQ, Reverb, Modelled Power amp, reverb) other than the cab.

Strangely the level drops to 0 on the input meter when I engage the pre/post switch on the amp or when I activate the modelled power amp in the software. 

Another issue is I can't get this amp to respond to any midi commands. I've got the amp set to omni mode and it just won't register any commands coming in. I've tried 3 different midi switchers and various cables.

I've sent a message to Revv support just awaiting their reply.

Has anyone came across anything like this with their D20 or G20?