5E3 Vs 5F1

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
The main differences in clean tone only folks and why you prefer one over the other

studio/recording and home use
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    5E3 has a tone control, so it works with more guitars/guitar pickups

5E3 has more "bounce" which makes it more fun to play

5E3 slays a champ in just about every way, except at being a champ

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    5F1 cleans

5E3 cleans

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    5F1 with 8" speaker vs. 5E3 with 12" - I'd take the 5E3.

But if you're comparing both circuits with a 12" speaker, I prefer the 5F1... I think it's the negative feedback. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't really get on with amps without it, once they get pushed hard. I even prefer AC30s clean to overdriven.

I don't like the tone control on a 5E3 really, it goes from not quite right to still not quite right without passing through right, for me.

The 5E3 has more clean headroom though, even than a 5F1 with a 12".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    ICBM said:
    I think it's the negative feedback. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't really get on with amps without it, once they get pushed hard. 
    What are you thoughts on the 5e3 Rob Robinette mod? Does adding negative feedback make a 5e3 work for you (despite it making it NOT exactly a 5e3)? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    If you have a Helix they have models of both.

That Julian Lage clip was great.

Does he have a 12" speaker in his?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    merlin said:

What are you thoughts on the 5e3 Rob Robinette mod? Does adding negative feedback make a 5e3 work for you (despite it making it NOT exactly a 5e3)? 
    I've never tried it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15923
    John i remember asking you about running an extension cab with the 5E3 (1x12 c90 8 ohm) alongside the deluxe's own internal speaker and you replying it would be OK..........is that still an OK at gig volumes and for a couple of hours at a time and does it shorten power tube life at all?

@ICBM

Thanks man  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    John i remember asking you about running an extension cab with the 5E3 (1x12 c90 8 ohm) alongside the deluxe's own internal speaker and you replying it would be OK..........is that still an OK at gig volumes and for a couple of hours at a time and does it shorten power tube life at all?
    Yes and yes.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:
    5F1 cleans

5E3 cleans

Thats some great playing vs some ok-ish demo playing
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    RiftAmps said:
    5F1 cleans

5E3 cleans

Thats some great playing vs some ok-ish demo playing
    I wonder how many amps that Julian Lage has sold with this video. It couldn’t be a better video to demonstrate that amp. Sensational playing
    ICBM said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Yes and yes.

reduce power tube lives significantly John? ^

and is there not a Gizmo in this day and age ( a wee black plug in box) that sorts the ohms problem for us?

tae be or not tae be
    Probably not significantly - these amps run them quite hot anyway, so they don't have the longest life expectancy even with a matching load.

Yes, you can get a matching transformer if you really want to - I've never bothered normally though, unless it's something really incompatible like a 4-ohm amp and a 16-ohm cab. Impedance matching isn't usually as critical as popular wisdom would have you believe...

Leo Fender was well aware that musicians just plug things in and go!

thanks John  :)
    tae be or not tae be