12" radius bridge with 9.5" neck?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
Is this OK? I come from a strat background where you can adjust each string individually, but I'm about to assemble a partscaster with a 9.5" radius neck and a tuneomatic bridge. I'm looking at Tonepros, but they only do 12" radius (do 9.5" TOM bridges even exist?). Slightly concerned about differing radii, but I've read that Dan Erlewine likes a flatter bridge than neck, and he knows what he's on about! Hmmm. Opinions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1276
    I have a 12" radius bridge on a 10" radius Rickenbacker and it is not an issue, though the guitar in question is a 12-string.

I know the J Mascis, Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore Jazzmasters all came with 12" adjustomatics with a 9.5" radius neck in the case of the JM, and a 7.5" radius neck in the case of the LR and TM ones. 

I've played the JM and the TM ones and didn't find the difference to be an issue.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:
    Is this OK? I come from a strat background where you can adjust each string individually, but I'm about to assemble a partscaster with a 9.5" radius neck and a tuneomatic bridge. I'm looking at Tonepros, but they only do 12" radius (do 9.5" TOM bridges even exist?). Slightly concerned about differing radii, but I've read that Dan Erlewine likes a flatter bridge than neck, and he knows what he's on about! Hmmm. Opinions?
    Yes, a touch flatter works well as you'll want the bass side slightly higher than the treble.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It should be absolutely perfect.

Dan Erlewine is right - the string height above the frets needs to rise as you go from the top E to the bottom E, so the bridge radius needs to be slightly larger than the fingerboard radius - I find about 25%-33% larger is ideal.

If you have the bridge radius matching the fingerboard, the middle strings will be too high.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Very interesting, thanks. I've always set up my strat with the action pretty much the same n on every string. Your learn something every day.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    ICBM said:
    It should be absolutely perfect.

Dan Erlewine is right - the string height above the frets needs to rise as you go from the top E to the bottom E, so the bridge radius needs to be slightly larger than the fingerboard radius - I find about 25%-33% larger is ideal.

If you have the bridge radius matching the fingerboard, the middle strings will be too high.
    Wouldn't that mean the action would be low on the high strings, high on the low strings and very low on the middle strings though? If a flatter bridge is better, why do Gibson's, for example, use 12" bridge with 12" fretboard?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Gibson Tune-o-Matic bridges are notorious for collapsing to some degree as they age. A partial flattening of the bridge saddle radius makes no detectable difference to the playability.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Lebarque said:

Wouldn't that mean the action would be low on the high strings, high on the low strings and very low on the middle strings though?
    Only if the bridge radius is much too flat.

Lebarque said:

If a flatter bridge is better, why do Gibson's, for example, use 12" bridge with 12" fretboard?
    Because they’re wrong :).

If you can adjust the saddle heights individually you will find that Dan Erlewine is right.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    @ICBM speaks the truth, Dan Erlewine is pretty much on the money with this. I have loads of guitars with similar 'flatter' bridge to neck radius equation and it works a treat.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway