SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

PSA: 100w Vintage Modern going on ebay for pennies.

What's Hot
bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
Great amp. If I actually needed an amp and could be bothered to drive to Wales to get it I'd be all over it. Up to £200 with half an hour left:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    35,300 pennies to be precise ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
    Yeah it did jump up at the end! Still not a bad price for such a great amp.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    That at least gives some safety margin to factor in the inevitable repair bills...

It also didn't say if it came with the footswitch - that matters, because it's an almost unique type with one latching and one momentary switch. Not a well-designed amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• MichaelATMichaelAT Frets: 12
    ICBM said:
    That at least gives some safety margin to factor in the inevitable repair bills...

It also didn't say if it came with the footswitch - that matters, because it's an almost unique type with one latching and one momentary switch. Not a well-designed amp.
    Unfortunately...
    I really liked the sound. Cool amp as long as you don't try to use it as a channel switcher. I might pull the trigger again one day...
  • dubberdubber Frets: 34
    Anyone know what the G12C speakers are like in the 50W version?
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3297
    I had the combo. I wouldn't pay £200 for another
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

I know it's anecdotal, but I never had any problems with mine, and I used to run it full chat for quite long periods. What are the issues with them?
    edited July 2020
    MichaelAT said:
    ICBM said:

Unfortunately...
    I really liked the sound. Cool amp as long as you don't try to use it as a channel switcher. I might pull the trigger again one day...

Yes, I think Marshall made a booboo by allowing you to switch dynamic range from the footswitch, as that gave the impression that it was a channel switcher, when it wasn't.
    dubber said:

I presume they are the same as in other versions? Like a crunchier G12M. I've still got a Vintage Modern cab full of them you're welcome to buy for cheaps!

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about it?
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    bananaman said:
    MichaelAT said:
    ICBM said:

Unfortunately...

Yes, I think Marshall made a booboo by allowing you to switch dynami range from the footswitch, as that gave the impression that it was a channel switcher, when it wasn't.
    The dynamic range switch actually worked really well at proper gig volumes.  At quieter levels it gave an almost unusable volume boost.  Great sounding amps IMO, and mine never failed me either, not to say a few other may have done
  • FlattopFlattop Frets: 26
    bananaman said:
    MichaelAT said:
    ICBM said:

Unfortunately...

Yes, I think Marshall made a booboo by allowing you to switch dynami range from the footswitch, as that gave the impression that it was a channel switcher, when it wasn't.
    Agree, also what I found was when switching to high dynamic range, the treble was hard to tame, even with treble and presence at zero it was still too cutting for me
    What kind of volume settings? I found mine only delivered the goods above 4 on the Master. From there and up it was delicious.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    bananaman said:

I know it's anecdotal, but I never had any problems with mine, and I used to run it full chat for quite long periods. What are the issues with them?
    There are quite a lot, mostly down to build quality and undersized components. In particular the bias sensing resistors cause a lot of trouble, they burn out if a valve shorts and usually damage the PCB. Marshall increased the size after the initial run but didn’t go anywhere near far enough. This isn’t the only one though, there are many others rather than just one common fault.

It even extends to things like the power LED not having a reverse parallel diode so it often burns out - trivial in some ways, but just bad design. From a user point of view the Dynamic Range switching doesn’t work well, and the FX loop and reverb are poor... these aren’t rocket science to get right!

Marshall totally lost their way in the 90s and early 2000s - every amp they made from the JTM60 onwards has serious issues. Thankfully the JVMs and the new Vietnamese DSLs seem to be much improved.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robmac5150robmac5150 Frets: 173
    same. nothing but issues and it was brand new

• chrisjac2chrisjac2 Frets: 67
    I’ve got one and it’s been excellent. Couple of very loud gigs with no dramas. I did have the resistors changed at the last service after reading some of the comments from icbm (prevention better thank cure and all that) but it hasn’t missed a beat. At the end of the day I recon a all tube Marshall 100watt half stack for under £400. I will say the led has never worked!
  • woody_89woody_89 Frets: 123
    bananaman said:
    dubber said:

I presume they are the same as in other versions? Like a crunchier G12M. I've still got a Vintage Modern cab full of them you're welcome to buy for cheaps!
    Out of curiosity @bananaman, how cheaps is cheaps?!
    Out of curiosity @bananaman, how cheaps is cheaps?!
    £200. However I've been asked to reserve it by a member on here, and out of decency I'll give him some time to sort the money out and make arrangements to collect etc.