Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Fender "Amp in a box" pedal

What's Hot
SnazzyGeezerSnazzyGeezer Frets: 38
Whats the best Fender 'amp in box' pedal
youve played, or heard
And is the there one that does the Tweed and Silverface in one enclosure.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Crazy Tube Circuits Falcon...
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Effectrode Blackbird 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    I was going to suggest the Effectrode Tube Drive. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Tech 21 Blonde is decent.
    AMT F1 is pretty good. 

I didn't like the Wampler ones. 

The main problem with all of them is they lack clean headroom and clip much easier than a real amp.
  • NeuroneNeurone Frets: 31
    Iridium deserves a mention.
    Trading feedback here
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Expensive - Effectrode Blackbird

Cheap(ish) - Boss FDR-1

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    edited August 2020
    I had a BOSS FDR-1 pedal. I found that it could be driven into nasty digital clipping very easily. (The BOSS VF-1 half rack was the same.) Active pickups may have been to blame. I sold the pedal.
    Be seeing you.
  • I'll probably be in the minority, but I've never liked any of the Fendery amp in a box pedals Ive tried. The Joyo American sound I was disappointed with the headroom in, and it sounded very farty with gain - which to me was the whole point of it. The Boss FDR-1 was good so long as it was used only for its reverb capability. 

Admittedly, I've not extensively tried any others, but these two were enough to put me off. I got the chance to dial up a Princeton and a Deville in the last 12 months, and it's a sound that simply can not be replicated.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    My modified DIY Catalinbread Formula No.5 clone.
    :-)
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6626
    Catalinbread 5F6 and Lovepedal Les Lius are the only two I've ever liked 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    edited August 2020
    I had a BOSS FDR-1 pedal. I found that it could be driven into nasty digital clipping very easily. (The BOSS SE-50 half rack was the same.) Active pickups may have been to blame. I sold the pedal.
    Interesting... my one sounded great. It was the functionality that put me off it - no separate tremolo switching, no speaker-emulated output, and the knobs fiddly and in the wrong order/positions. I also sold it.

I have an SE-70 half-rack and that sounds great too - bought new in about 1992 and one of the few pieces of gear I’ll never sell.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    Anarchy Gold Class. Properly fantastic little preamp thing.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I'll probably be in the minority, but I've never liked any of the Fendery amp in a box pedals Ive tried. The Joyo American sound I was disappointed with the headroom in, and it sounded very farty with gain - which to me was the whole point of it. The Boss FDR-1 was good so long as it was used only for its reverb capability. 

Admittedly, I've not extensively tried any others, but these two were enough to put me off. I got the chance to dial up a Princeton and a Deville in the last 12 months, and it's a sound that simply can not be replicated.

The thing to be aware of with the American sound is it's designed to go into an FX return more than the front of an amp. It also has an always on speaker simulator which can be turned off on the tech21 it's cloned from.

As a straight overdrive pedal it's fairly terrible.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    I have a pre-legit Thorpy “Black ‘65” clone that does for all my Fendery needs especially when coupled with a Strymon Flint. 
  • I love the Lovepedal 65 reverb, but am selling mine as I’m clearing out all my pedals, need wood! 
  • Sorry, switchable reverb and amp sounds, great range of tones from the main and dirt knobs.
  • Lots of people swear by the joyo one , I think it’s called American sound . It’s a clone of the tech 21 
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    ICBM said:
    I had a BOSS FDR-1 pedal. I found that it could be driven into nasty digital clipping very easily. (The BOSS SE-50 half rack was the same.) Active pickups may have been to blame. I sold the pedal.
    Interesting... my one sounded great. It was the functionality that put me off it - no separate tremolo switching, no speaker-emulated output, and the knobs fiddly and in the wrong order/positions. I also sold it.

I have an SE-70 half-rack and that sounds great too - bought new in about 1992 and one of the few pieces of gear I’ll never sell.
    I like the SE-70 so much I bought two. It may not have some of the more modern effects such as shimmer reverb or backwards echo, but what it does it does brilliantly. Analogue front-end, too.

I won't be parting with mine either.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    Lots of people swear by the joyo one , I think it’s called American sound . It’s a clone of the tech 21 
    Not sure that I'd claim to swear by it, but I think it does a credible impersonation of Blackface and Champ style amps. I use a couple of pedals before and after it, straight into the power amp side of a Crate Powerblock and then directly into the cheapo 8" speaker of a Park/Marshall R15D and it actually sounds pretty good particularly at social distancing, i.e. from 'er indoors, volumes.

I tried a similar setup directly into a mixing board some years ago while I was looking for an standby amp solution for gigging,  and into my PC for recording and yep, there are better solutions around but considering I had all the kit mentioned anyway, it was a bargain and the inverted snob in me has really taken a shine to it  =)        
  • Crazy Tube Circuits Stardust Blackface for beautiful blackface tones. I miss mine