Synthfest 5th October Sheffield

SnapSnap Frets: 6256

I am going to this wallet challenging do tomorrow.

Looks like it will be reet do in terms of all things electronic, including a few interesting seminars.

If I survive without plundering my bank account, I'll have done well. I am driving to it, so at least that will prevent me from any beer fuelled impulse purchases...…

Anyone else going?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Any joy?
    Be seeing you.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Perhaps driving wasn't @Snap 's best move, as instead of drunken bank account plundering, he's traded the car for some synth exoticness, and is now trying to hitchhike home like a penniless beggar?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256

ha ha!!

I got away lightly, only bought one thing, and that was still needless: Novation Launchkey Mini MkIII. To replace my MkII, which obviously has nothing wrong with it. ! I convinced myself if I bought a new one, I could give my old one to my daughter.

The event itself - quite good. Venue and facilities are first class. Loads of interesting stands/stalls, covering all the bases from software to vintage hardware. Some amazing (if baffling) modular setups on display too.

GAK had a stand and were doing show deals on (as far as I could tell) all their stock, whether physically there or not. My keyboard wasn't there, but got about 8% off and it posts out today.

Watched a good demo/talk by Teenage Engineering, about the OPZ. Nice bit of kit, expensive though.  

Highlight for me was a seminar on the Fairlight CMI. Really interesting. Steve Levine was talking and his stories were just fascinating.  That one seminar was worth the ticket price alone (£15).

I've looked at this event before, and not gone, but I'll go next year, enjoyed it. I could have stayed longer than the 2 1/2 hours I put in, I didn't realise there was another floor where people were performing for half hours at a time. Also A Guy Called Gerald was doing a talk at 5pm, but I had had enough before then, and couldn't be arsed to hang around. Actually, truth was, I  was hankering to go to the pub.

Saw some lovely old gear though, on a stall by Sound Gas. Yamaha CS, Minimoog, Space Echo, loads of stuff that took me back to being a kid in a band. Even a Roland SH101, which transported me immediately to being a 16 year old, convinced he was in the next big thing of a band. It was great. Plenty of stuff there that had passed through my hands, or through a mate's during the mid 80s. Very nostalgic.

Synth nerds though - wow, they are a mystical bunch. A bit like Morris dancers but armed with patch cables and oscillators.

• midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 100
    Noticed Synthfest 2020 was cancelled yesterday.
    I'd been to both the previous ones - agree seminars are usually worth the admittance fee - the rest gets a bit samey for me now.
    Lots of stalls on modular synths - amazed the demand for this is out there.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I'd been to both the previous ones - agree seminars are usually worth the admittance fee - the rest gets a bit samey for me now.

Modular is bigger than it has ever been- because they are better for certain types of sound design than a fixed architecture.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256

Shame, I would have gone, but I bet it's a bit tricky trying to organise something like this at the moment.
    Modular - I've started getting into this, virtually. It's a bit addictive tbh.