Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Fender "Amp in a box" pedal

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    I have the Flyrig 5 and the Sansamp section gives a good Fender sound.  I disagree that it needs to go into the effects loop, I think it also works well into the front of an amp - you can't switch off the amp sim on the Flyrig version. It does feel "stiff" compared to a valve amp but that's not necessarily a bad thing IMO.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    boss frv1 into the joyo/harley benton. sounds great DId for recording
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    Sorry to derail the thread a little bit I used to think it was harder to find a Fender in a box than say a Marshall but now I’m not sure. All the Marshall in a box pedals seem to be high gain type things based around one specific Marshall sound. I’ve not heard a convincing SLP plexi sound as it’s quite clean. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    AMT F1.
    More convincing than Tech 21.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    Lots of people swear by the joyo one , I think it’s called American sound . It’s a clone of the tech 21 
    You can pay a hell of a lot more and not get more for your money. It’s certainly way better than it has any right to be at the price and way better than just “good enough”...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280

The American Sound is very very cheap and very very good.
    It's so good my second guitarist stopped bringing in his Fender amp to rehearsals because he could just plug that in to any amp and sound like a good Fender amp through whatever they had at the studios. 

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    I have an american sound and did have a FDR1.  The American sound works great to make an amp sound more like either a tweed sounding amp or a blackface amp depending on how you set the voice control.  I only ever use in front of an amp and I really like it.  Too much gain doesn't really work unless set to maximum tweed.

The FDR1 I really liked, I only sold as I was using it as reverb and tremolo and the tremolo isn't brilliant.  The FDR modelling is good and can be used as a straight overdrive pedal and sounds really good driven.
  • Princeton Reverb. 

I mean, its a Fender amp, in a box...

On a serious note the Joyo one is great as per everyone else's comments. The Catalinbread 5F6 sounds really good, but mine broke. Twice. I don't know if I could recommend one of their pedals now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive been looking at loads of different pedals
    I like the wampler 57 and the catalinbread 5S6
    But they have too much gain,even with the gain dailed right back on the Wampler it still has a hair.
    if the gain could be reduced by 30-50% it would be great.
    Maybe theres a mod out there ?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2280
    Ive been looking at loads of different pedals
    But they have too much gain,even with the gain dailed right back on the Wampler it still has a hair.
    You can set the American Sound perfectly clean. Anything from there to filthy tweed. Dirty it gets mushy and noisy. But it it is at its best as a low gain pre-amp type shaper platform rather than a dirt pedal. 
  • Ive been looking at loads of different pedals
    I had a Wampler Black '65 clone that was so clean I thought it was broken at first! Might be worth trying. 
  • Being pedals rather than full front ends of amps, do any of these pedals (particularly more Bassman or tweed type pedals) respond well to being smacked with a boost (well, a compressor set as a boost) or do they mush out? I didn't get to try it when I had an American Sound as I moved it on pretty quickly due to not working with the amp I had at the time (also moved on)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3964
    I was tempted by the Mad Professor Super Black, sounds very good on the demos I’ve seen. Has the added bonus of a built in Sweet Honey Overdrive too.