what cheap chinese made gems have you found

What's Hot

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I've an Eno Octaver which is so unbelievably poor, it actually sounds awesome in a kind of fuzzy Octavia kind of way. Cuts the volume level though
    Poor? I bought mine when I was told it had the same chip as the Pearl Octaver I foolishly sold over ten years ago. It's glitchy and that's the charm. If I wanted something more accurate I'd have the OC3 or POG.

It's not the octaving I like the pedal for, but that I was looking a different kind of overdrive sound and ended up dialing in +1 and -1 to taste. 

I made a rerecording of the song I used the Pearl on and the Eno does sound the same!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    American Sound pedal. Incredibly good and versatile. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    edited June 2020
    Behringer fuzz and wah, mosky spring reverb, sp booster ... need I go on?
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    Mosky Mini Spring Reverb. Amazing value for money. I'm on the lookout for a cheap mini Distortion pedal if any one has any recommendations. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    And the Vitoos iso4 to power them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
    The Demon Tubescreamer. It's better than a real 808!
  • the_butlerthe_butler Frets: 107
    Boss & Yamaha
  • AornicAornic Frets: 474
    Bought a Mooer Black Secret off of AliExpress for 24 quid and have been comparing it to my RAT. Very close, much smaller.
  • grooviegroovie Frets: 15
    I have fond memories of a Joyo Ultimate Drive, which I believe is an OCD clone, but I wouldn't know about OCD (in a pedal) at least.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Mosky Black Rat . . . . Awesome !
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Vanson pickups.

I put a set of their '57 Alnico IIs in a MIK Epi Sheraton. Saying they were an improvement over the stock "waxbucker" pickups isn't much of a compliment, but they're solidly put together and sound nice. For less than £30 for a pair they're a great way to upgrade a guitar without breaking the bank.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1698
    edited August 2020
    This my Keiper 109 lovely Les Paul sized jazzer hollowbody .Cant find a fault despite hard looking and who ever made it knew their stuff despite being very cheap .Sounds fine especially the neck pickup .I assume its Chinese  via  German dealer .It cost 60 notes from Gumtree

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is this Harry 7s sock account? :D 
    It might be... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12253
    I have both a Behringer Super Fuzz and Tremolo, both Boss clones and fantastic pedals for under £25 each
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    edited October 2020
    I have both a Behringer Super Fuzz and Tremolo, both Boss clones and fantastic pedals for under £25 each
    Behringer pedals are very nice, not even just for the price.  Plastic cases, but quality tone.
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    I'm following up my post from earlier in the year. 

I now have a modest collection of Chinese brand pedals given they cost not much more than a couple of bottles of Australian merlot where I am. 

Joyo American Sound - fantastic pedal.  Just awesome, from chimey cleans to midrange meltdown.  I'm going to get another.

Joyo British Sound - also pretty good but not as high gain as I expected. Needs a booster like the Mosky (below) to get into Def Leppard/Vai/Lukather/Satch territory.  I tend to use it as Marshall flavoured filter.

Joyo California Sound - sounds great into a desk but so very dark into an amp.  A bit flabby too - reminds me of knackered seventies Marshalls in some ways.  Best if the mids are cranked to breaking point (settings can get noisy and feedback in extreme settings though).  

Joyo Dyna Comp - fantastic compressor.  No colouring, this has actually taken over from an Effectrode PC2 on the clean chain on my board because it sounds cleaner and crisper. 

Mosky Silver Horse - It's like a tube screamers tube screamer.  Lots and lots of medium gain mids which makes it sound awful/or at least '80's alt rock' by itself.  However it's phenomenal as a boost pedal.  Turns some fairly vapid sounding drive pedals into screaming monsters.   Highly recommended for anyone looking for extra muscle from their existing gain stages.  It makes the Joyo British Sound phenomenal - Peavey JSX/nearly 5150 but it couldn't help the California Sound as much. 

Mooer Ocean Machine - great reverb delay.  Every performance related parameter has a knob so instant access.  Great quality.  No longer made apparently.  Mooer do some great stuff generally though.

Nux Chorus Core - I got it for tri-chorus but hmmm.  It's OK I guess, really needs an input/output level control in there somewhere as it tends to limit/boost to line level if it doesn't get a signal it likes.   

[This space for rent]

• A Harley Benton Mighty 5TH lunchbox tube head. We got some new JJ tubes for it and even at 1 watt it drives a 12 inch speaker fine and loud enough for us.

Are there better amps out there? Yes, most certainly.

But is this a good bang for the buck? Yes, absolutely.
  • Mooer PE100
  • Well, I got a bunch of Chinese pedals but now rarely use any of them as I have better stuff (eg had a Joyo American Sound as my Fender thing, but then got an Effectrode Blackbird and a Catalinbread 5f6). But, I will give props to the following:

NUX Tape Core - pretty good tape algorithm for the RE-201. Insanely good for the price. Still pedalboard-worthy. Pity the software is flaky as f*ck though. Think the new NUX 2-engine multi-delay (Duotime) has the same algorithm, but has the tape satuaration control from the software. That should be good.

Joyo Tremolo - If you want a solid simple tremolo that turns your volume up & down in a sine wave it does the trick. I have a Supro trem now so I don't use it anymore.

Mooer Elec-Lady - A pretty convincing EHX Electric Mistress clone.

Donner DP3 & DP4 isolated PSUs are actually pretty good. No noise - seems properly isolated. Watch out though - the cheaper ones are noisy as hell.

Have a bunch of other stuff but it's really not worth mentioning as it's pretty lacklustre.
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    One of my Joyo American Sound pedals (the older one) has started screaming, mainly a gain related thing.   I can only put this down to build quality and the components used.  Goodness knows which component it is but I'm a little disappointed.  The other one seems fine.  I ended up getting the California and British Sound pedals as well but they were disappointing too.  The California is way too dark for anything other than recording and it's noisy as hell with drive and voice turned up.  The British Sound is OK but it does get noisy at extreme settings as well.  The American Sound seems to be a diamond (albeit flawed) in a coal seam.

[This space for rent]