Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Famous Artists You Have Played With Or Supported

What's Hot
CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
Thought this might throw up some interesting stories considering the abundance of talent on the forum. Couple of years ago we had the pleasure of being on the line up for a local music venue which was headlined by Tom Hingley. Had a great night and he was a good guy, approachable and open but also well behaved so no crazy stories other than a top night.

So who have you supported or played with and as a side note any stories more interesting than mine? Punch ups, gang bangs, girlfriend stealing, riots...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I supported Showaddywaddy once and also Roots Manuva

That's about as big of a gap as I can imagine :)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2034
    I supported Showaddywaddy once and also Roots Manuva

That's about as big of a gap as I can imagine :)
    Bonus points for musical diversity  :)
  • Completely bottom of the bill to Motörhead and The Climax Blues Band ( no idea why they were even on the same bill as each other)at a biker festival.  

We played a custom car festival once on the same bill as Steve Gibbons but he turned up early and played support to us. So early we hadn’t turned up and I missed his set. Top of the bill were King Pleasure who did actually turn up at the right time.  

It’s no Showaddywaddy but I think that’s it. Oh, also were meant to play support to the Wurzels at a private event but that was cancelled. I have seen them live and very good they are. 

There will be more impressive answers than mine ( I hope). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    My mate sings in a fairly top-end covers band. They were booked for a 70th birthday party of this uber-rich guy in North Yorkshire as support for his main act.................Robbie Williams.

Cost about a million quid to hire him for a 45 minute set apparently (Robbie, not my mate).

Mate had to sign up to a non-disclosure agreement about Robbie as he had a clause in his contract that if any press turned up, he wouldn't have to play but would still be paid in full.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Left the stage late afternoon at a Wiltshire festival once and found Bucks Fizz and Go West waiting in the wings.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Back when they were still the originals about 40 years ago we played on a cross chanel ferry with The Ivy league,
    about 20 years later while playing a function a young Neil Conti from Prefab Sprout jumped up and started playing percussion.
    Most of the other famous people I've worked with have been while providing production servoces so I wasn't on the same bill.

Hattigol said:
    My mate sings in a fairly top-end covers band. They were booked for a 70th birthday party of this uber-rich guy in North Yorkshire as support for his main act.................Robbie Williams.

Cost about a million quid to hire him for a 45 minute set apparently (Robbie, not my mate).

Mate had to sign up to a non-disclosure agreement about Robbie as he had a clause in his contract that if any press turned up, he wouldn't have to play but would still be paid in full.
    Wow whatever your thoughts on him are, a million quid for a 45 min set!!! You got to hand it to him there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Left the stage late afternoon at a Wiltshire festival once and found Bucks Fizz and Go West waiting in the wings.....
    I saw Go West at a festival a few years ago, they took a couple of numbers to warm up but he's still in good voice.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    CMW335 said:
    Hattigol said:

Wow whatever your thoughts on him are, a million quid for a 45 min set!!! You got to hand it to him there
    Nice work if you can get it.

Brilliantly organised too apparently. Not one of the guests knew he was going to be there - my mate, who is the singer in the band. wasn't even allowed to tell the other bandmates who it was until 2 hours before.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    CMW335 said:
    Hattigol said:

I suppose with a one-off gig you don’t have the economy of scale that goes with a big tour, so the overheads are proportionally greater.  Even so, £1 million...

Hope the birthday boy got his money’s worth.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I saw Go West at a festival a few years ago, they took a couple of numbers to warm up but he's still in good voice.  

I knew him slightly for a period because, in my early 20's, I was in a band and good mates with the guy that later went on to produce Go West's first album. As I've mentioned before, it got me a visit to the studio during the recording of the first album and the opportunity to see Alan Murphy and Pino Palladino in action.

Many years before Go West, he was looking to put a rock band together and, because my mate wasn't available, I went along to a rehearsal with him in a freezing cold Nissen hut. I didn't eventually come to anything. An incredibly humble and nice guy. Years later, after Go West had taken off, I remember bumping in to him (at a Jeff Beck gig IIRC) and he apologised to me about that rehearsal, whereas I felt it was an honour to have had the opportunity to play with him. I think the last time I saw him was at my mate's dad's funeral a few years back, and chatting to him about guitarists.

An amazing talent.

It's not a competition.
    Left the stage late afternoon at a Wiltshire festival once and found Bucks Fizz and Go West waiting in the wings.....

I knew him slightly for a period because, in my early 20's, I was in a band and good mates with the guy that later went on to produce Go West's first album. As I've mentioned before, it got me a visit to the studio during the recording of the first album and the opportunity to see Alan Murphy and Pino Palladino in action.

Many years before Go West, he was looking to put a rock band together and, because my mate wasn't available, I went along to a rehearsal with him in a freezing cold Nissen hut. I didn't eventually come to anything. An incredibly humble and nice guy. Years later, after Go West had taken off, I remember bumping in to him (at a Jeff Beck gig IIRC) and he apologised to me about that rehearsal, whereas I felt it was an honour to have had the opportunity to play with him. I think the last time I saw him was at my mate's dad's funeral a few years back, and chatting to him about guitarists.

An amazing talent.

Their big hit song was ruined for me when a mate pointed out to me that he actually sings 'We Close Our W-eyes'.

Sorry. That's probably now done it for you lot too....

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Doctor and the Medics.

Birthday bash gig for Rob at Robannas studios in Birmingham. I was playing bass in an AC/DC tribute (I was standing in as their bass player had just had a baby, or was ill, or something like that). 

We were hurriedly getting our kit off stage so I don’t remember them playing “Spirit in the Sky”,  but I’m sure they did (possibly more than once). 

Doctor and the Medics.

Birthday bash gig for Rob at Robannas studios in Birmingham. I was playing bass in an AC/DC tribute (I was standing in as their bass player had just had a baby, or was ill, or something like that). 

We were hurriedly getting our kit off stage so I don’t remember them playing “Spirit in the Sky”,  but I’m sure they did (possibly more than once). 

Reminds me of a holiday in Magaluf when Chesney Hawkes was playing in a club. We left and returned during his set 3 times and each time on return he was playing I Am The One & Only. He finished with a cover of American Pie but must have played Am The One & Only 3 times at least
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited September 2020
    Supported Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell version), twice and they were very nice to us

I was in The Vapor Corporation (TVC), which was Dave Fenton from The Vapors next band project and once played Ace's 'How Long' at a work music industry do with Rob Davis of Mud/Kylie's 'Can't get you outta my head'  fame
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Played with Glenn Tilbrook and also been part of a jam that including (rather frighteningly) Jonathan 'Sugarfoot Moffet' and Reeves Gabrels.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    edited September 2020
    I've had Edison Lighthouse open for me and my old band. They played Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) as the first AND last songs. We weren't too taken by them TBH!

Also had a jam with Jon from JettBlack, Paul Gilbert and also Nita Strauss.

And here's one coming up - in July I'll be sharing a stage and playing with Paul Gilbert (again), George Lynch, Bumblefoot and Eric Gales in New York :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Years ago, I played in an INXS tribute. It got quite popular around the time that Michael Hutchins died so we played some good venues. 

there was a period where we were on the same circuit as Uria Heep. 

Never actually crossed paths with them but several times they played either the day before, or the day after us.. 
  • Both my bands have supported Blaze Bayley a few times (five in total, I think). He's a nice chap, just don't mention Iron Maiden, because his face takes on the look of a haunted, broken man to the extent that even I felt guilty, and I wasn't the one who mentioned them...
    <space for hire>
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 228
    edited September 2020
    I have supported a few over the years - we were mostly pissed in the early days so cant remember a thing.

Sigue Sigue Sputnik
    Space
    Martin Metcalfe( goodbye mr mackenzie )
    Next up is the Meteors if we ever get gigs again.