Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Famous Artists You Have Played With Or Supported

What's Hot

Comments

• yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    ESBlonde said:
    Back when they were still the originals about 40 years ago we played on a cross chanel ferry with The Ivy league,
    about 20 years later while playing a function a young Neil Conti from Prefab Sprout jumped up and started playing percussion. 
    I used to play five-a-side with Neil Conti on Sunday nights. We knew he was a drummer but were mostly a bit foggy about the details. Until one weekend he couldn't make the match – because he was playing with David Bowie at Live Aid.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited September 2020
    Doctor and the Medics.

We were hurriedly getting our kit off stage so I don’t remember them playing “Spirit in the Sky”,  but I’m sure they did (possibly more than once). 

Nowadays they play it at a much faster pace. I played it with their bassist last year.

In my younger days I shared a stage with John Otway. Outside of that there are people who I don’t think merit the “famous” label, and a few who do but can’t be mentioned.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

I played a festival in MK, followed fairly soon after (I think there was one band between us) by Eddie and the Hotrods and then The Blockheads.

We also played a couple of gigs in Tring supporting Nevile Staple (The Specials) and Ranking Roger (The Beat).

Another band did a festival immediately followed by Miles Hunt (The Wonder Stuff).

That band was aslo followed at The Cavern by a 60s hippie band who took about an hour to set up (mostly because they all seemed to be seriously stoned) but I can't remember who they were, so I guess that doesn't count, but it does allow me to mention playing The Cavern ;)

No thrilling stories, I'm afraid, but they were all very nice folk.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    edited September 2020
    Left the stage late afternoon at a Wiltshire festival once and found Bucks Fizz and Go West waiting in the wings.....
    I got propositioned once by Cheryl from Bucks Fizz. She phoned me out of the blue when I was on the way to football in the car so my mates also heard it. It dawned on me halfway through the call that a mate of mine (bit part actor) had recently mentioned her in passing so I put 2 and 2 together and realised he’d put her up to it.  She played along and sounded like a right laugh tbf :-)
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    I used to go regularly to a jam night at the Maverick in Amblecote (in the Black Country) , one of the tracks I always played (badly) was “Rock n’ Roll’.
    Used to go every week.. regular..always..never missed..
    ..except the week Robert Plant turned up to have a go...
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Have also ‘jammed‘(Wouldn’t get off stage) with Steve Gibbons and Trevor Burton on separate occasions ...Must 
    say they were both crap..kept playing different chords to me and out of time and giving ME looks as if to say ‘who are you and What the fuck you doing’..which to be fair Steve actually said..
    Still I enjoyed it..you gotta love lager
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1 said:
    I used to go regularly to a jam night at the Maverick in Amblecote (in the Black Country) , one of the tracks I always played (badly) was “Rock n’ Roll’.
    The Maverick ( many, many years ago) 

https://i.imgur.com/al4vuyM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cQfR6H4.jpg

A friend of mine played guitar in a covers band and one of the songs they did was Rock’n’roll but the singer insisted on some weird key so they didn’t really play it properly at all. They did a wedding and one of the guests was Robert Plant who got up for a sing. So my friend ( who is a very decent guitarist) had the honour of playing Rock’n’roll completely wrong behind Robert Plant.

I have played with ( singer, pianist) Mike Sanchez at a wedding. I know he’s not a household name but his credits include Bill Wyman and Jeff Beck. Actually the wedding of the guy in the fleece in the colour photo, his wife was Mike’s hairdresser. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited September 2020
    I remember doing some festival or other with Jaxx - Camp Bestival or Hyde Park maybe; we were lounging around back of stage in the evening sunshine drinking G&Ts, when we suddenly noticed it was Sinead O’Connor out on stage before us, so we went out to the front and watched - she was bloody awesome - and when they came off we had a lovely chat and drink before our set. They were so nice, she and her band mates, the Papenfus brothers and Brooke Taylor. That was a lovely day. Shame I look like such a dork. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was a tech/stage manager for a few years and ended up playing festivals filling in at short notice etc. Been on stage with tony Hadley, billy ocean, nick kershaw, buzzcocks, Dr and medics and the blow monkeys. Had some amazing fun times travelling far and wide and could’ve gone up to next level but I love being at home so gave up about 5 years ago. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Left the stage late afternoon at a Wiltshire festival once and found Bucks Fizz and Go West waiting in the wings.....
    I meant to hit ‘quotes not lol   I wouldn’t have minded bumping into Cheryl baker in the day , oh yeah .  Go West are quite good, I’m currently learning a bit in ‘don’t look down’ would like to do a cover of it . 
  • Holy cow , yesssssss
    Left the stage late afternoon at a Wiltshire festival once and found Bucks Fizz and Go West waiting in the wings.....
    I got propositioned once by Cheryl from Bucks Fizz. She phoned me out of the blue when I was on the way to football in the car so my mates also heard it. It dawned on me halfway through the call that a mate of mine (bit part actor) had recently mentioned her in passing so I put 2 and 2 together and realised he’d put her up to it.  She played along and sounded like a right laugh 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4080
    edited September 2020
    Kebabkid said:
    Supported Wishbone Ash (Andy Powell version), twice an they were very nice to us

I was in The Vapor Corporation (TVC), which was Dave Fenton from The Vapors next band project and once played Ace's 'How Long' at a work music industry do with Rob Davis of Mud/Kylie's 'Can't get you outta my head'  fame
    Rob Davis is a bit of a genius , didn’t he write that why does it feel so good’ as well by Sophie Ellis bextor , plus his dangly earnings were legendary
  • Not sure if this counts, but when Gary Numan was setting up his first ever tour, I went to audition for the guitarist spot at a townhouse in Shepherds Bush just off the Green. Gary sat in the corner of the room with a female friend and never said a word or acknowledged my presence. Billie Currie ran the audition and showed me how to play the Minimoog part for Down In The Park. 

I didn't get it and I wasn't surprised! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    edited September 2020
    Supported Rolf Harris in the 90s when he had a hit with stairway to heaven. 
    Oh supported Tony Hadley in the nineties too
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3098
    edited September 2020
    Tony Blackburn once called me a cheap act to book on national tv! 
    https://imgur.com/gallery/GVy6MPc

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • westwest Frets: 994
    Played live with Tony Martin , the alliance / Black sabbath great bloke, glen hughes was watching in the wings (no pressure )  had great compliments and a cool  chat about the hughes and thrall album . his girls legs were taller than me  ...

Recorded with Jackie Graham simply lovely , great big boob huggs called me chick ...

Mark stanway (magnum ) and his misses mo birch ( go west ub40 alex oneil ) recrded wrote , some great stories and sad phil lynnot tales ...

Apache indian sessions recording album real people ... seemed a nice enough chap i worked with his producer harjinda ... most lucrative thing i ever did, it was a shame it wasnt boomshakalak though ha ha ...

Pete goalby ... ( uriah heap ) very nice feller ,   sessions recording demos that went on to be the album man with a vision  with john parr ...

keith evans sax who along with mark stanway and mo birch were members of robert plants honeydrippers live work ...

Andy edwards drummer IQ / frost  robert plant / priory of brian /  ill fated writing recording project that ultimatly came to nothing ...

supported marino / lisa dominique at the marquee wardour street ... wankers ...

was penciled in for a track on annie lennox medusa album with steve lipson but it got scotched ... might have opend a few more doors but ...

loads more  ive forgot cant remember ... havnt done anything for a decade had enough ... its a shit busines lol ...

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    west said:
    and a cool  chat about the hughes and thrall album . his girls legs were taller than me  ...

As an aside here, that is a a fabulous album and probably not known to many :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Both my bands have supported Blaze Bayley a few times (five in total, I think). He's a nice chap, just don't mention Iron Maiden, because his face takes on the look of a haunted, broken man to the extent that even I felt guilty, and I wasn't the one who mentioned them...

My mom had a brain tumour and was in the next bed in the QE to his wife/manager who sadly didnt make it ... ;(  we had a few people in common ( his producer simon efemey was a former band mate of mine )  and he seemed a nice chap like you say, but it wasnt the best of circumstances ...
    PhilW1 said:
    The Maverick ( many, many years ago) 

https://i.imgur.com/al4vuyM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cQfR6H4.jpg

A friend of mine played guitar in a covers band and one of the songs they did was Rock’n’roll but the singer insisted on some weird key so they didn’t really play it properly at all. They did a wedding and one of the guests was Robert Plant who got up for a sing. So my friend ( who is a very decent guitarist) had the honour of playing Rock’n’roll completely wrong behind Robert Plant.

I have played with ( singer, pianist) Mike Sanchez at a wedding. I know he’s not a household name but his credits include Bill Wyman and Jeff Beck. Actually the wedding of the guy in the fleece in the colour photo, his wife was Mike’s hairdresser. 

The maverick is my local sometimes ...
  • In my old originals band, JTM (together in the mid-late 1990s), we played around the Mad-chester scene quite a lot. We ended up supporting The Salford Jets (Mike Sweeny was a bit of a prick...no surprised there for a well-known gobby DJ). We also ended up backing George Borowski who is the "Guitar George" from "Sultans of Swing". He was an absolute gent.

Prior to that, I was in a blues band ("Rude Mood", named after the SRV instrumental) and we supported the Hellecasters which was a side project formed by Will Ray, John Jorgenson (Desert Rose Band, and Elton John's backing band), and Jerry Donahue (Fairport Convention). I have never suffered from stage fright, but the imposter syndrome was in full swing that night. All of them came over and told me they enjoyed our set...I'm sure they were just being gentlemen, but it was very nice of them. It did help that I was playing a Tele at the time though.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom