Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ws yr MILF (MostInspiringLow-costFender)

What's Hot
Two different Classic Vibe Jazz Basses & the CV tele with the neck p90.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    No man! It was my last two purchases. Classic Vibe Jaguar and a Fender Player Series Mustang Bass. Hope that clears things up.
  • Pawnshop 51, they sold them off at Mexican prices
    Made in Japan
    top notch neck
    Stupid bridge pickup and switching, had to fix that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    When was there a Fender range called Classic Vibe?
  • Does Squier count? If so I'll go with Contemporary Active Strat...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    edited September 2020
    Squier Affinity Starcaster. Looks incredible, light, easy to play with great neck, decent pickups. Every time I pick it up I feel inspired to play weird and wonderful stuff, as well as going back to old barre chords which I rarely play. It's a joy. 

Plus, LOOK AT IT. 

MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummy said:
    Fender Squire, loads of them on ebay.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Super champ x 2 is an awesome amp for not much. 

I recently bought a classic vibe jaguar which is brilliant fun. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    Fender Modern Player Jaguar - P90s, lightweight, nice neck. Great alternative to a Les Paul. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Apparently the stupid cheap Bullet Mustang is meant to be great.
  • joetele said:
    Squier Affinity Starcaster. Looks incredible, light, easy to play with great neck, decent pickups. Every time I pick it up I feel inspired to play weird and wonderful stuff, as well as going back to old barre chords which I rarely play. It's a joy. 

Plus, LOOK AT IT. 

For the longest time I wanted a warmth starcaster but the price was out of reach. 

I do wish it wasn't a ToM bridge, but not sure what I'd put in its place... 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    For Sale  Guitar and Bass Repair  Rising Sun Guitars  Kensington MD
    Maybe cheating a bit now, as they are not that cheap, but they were an early entry level Squier of the day - Made in Japan H2 circa 1982/83 - Some actually have a made in the USA tag, although I'm not sure any where actually built in the USA - Mine says MIJ but I'm pretty certain the neck is a USA built Tele neck - It was believed that the H2 and its related cousins did use up many old USA parts, shipped to Japan and assembled accordingly - Bottom line is my is a very credible guitar, but the days are gone when you could pick them up for £300, let alone £200
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

Mine was a Squier Strat which started off looking like the one below - red, black headstock, 24.75" scale, single humbucker, volume control.  I think it cost £149 new in 1986.

It became the test-bed for a lot of DIY experiments.

First thing I did was change the tuners.  I knocked a big chip out of the face of the headstock removing the ferrules, so I filled it and resprayed the headstock red to match the body before fitting black Schaller tuners.

I replaced the bridge with a black Kahler fulcrum unit, then a black Kahler Flyer.  I routed the body for a neck humbucker and middle single-coil, resprayed it black, fitted a 25.5" ESP maple neck which meant relocating the bridge for the longer scale length - it ended up with a Kahler fixed bridge, recessed into the body.  I moved the jack to the side.  I filed away the neck heel and replaced the neck plate with recessed washers, in an early attempt at an Ibanez-style contoured heel...

The original bridge got transferred to another partscaster - in another experiment, I filed away the back of the trem block to allow more movement.

I still have both the neck and body, maybe even the original pickup and tuners.  It now has a WD neck with a Wilkinson roller nut and although it's been many years since I did any guitar DIY it ended up as my pickup-testing guitar.

Fender Squier ST-331 1984 Dakota Red Single Humbucker Route  Reverb

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    In the mid-80s, as a present to myself for passing some accountancy exams, I bought a Squier Bullet HSS Strat, I think it was an E7, from the Soho Soundhouse in Soho Square. There were a few cracks on the body so it was only £65.

It was a bargain. It turned out that the humbucker had the wiring for a coil tap that was never wired up, so in went a mini-switch to control it. I got some fine tuners for the bridge and a locking nut and I was in whammy heaven.
  • I've never had a Squire, but I've got two lower range Fenders: The Jim Adkins JA-90 thinline tele with SD P90s and an MIM SR Black Paisley Tele. Both picked up in sales both under £350 new and I really love playing them.

• joetele said:

Plus, LOOK AT IT. 

I really liek that, but is the neck really that short, or is it just the angle of the photo?
  • Apparently the stupid cheap Bullet Mustang is meant to be great.
    It's not great out of the box, but it's easily fixed! I'd played a few in shops before buying one, and all of them suffered from basic/rough setups and scratchy frets.

If I wasn't happy to fix that myself I'd have likely held out for a Vintage Modified/Classic Vibe or similar instead, but it really didn't take a lot of effort to fix it up into a very playable and fun guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    thegummy said:
    Fender Squire, loads of them on ebay.
    Lol great answer.

I'm going to start using corporate ownership hierarchies to pretend I have a Microsoft Tamagotchi and Dior custard creams.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine was a Squier VM Jaguar Bass SS that I had in New Zealand. Had some neck dive and the J-pup was weak sauce, but strung with La Bella flats it played like a dream, and the P-pup was excellent for vintage 60s sounds. I had the black one and put a custom red-tort guard on it, and it looked like sex on a stick.

I see the guy from Royal Blood used to play them, so Fender made him a Custom Shop one with a Fender decal - quite interesting, given as the model debuted as a Squier. I wonder if we'll see a standard Mexican Fender line at some point.

I have a MiJ Mustang Bass now which is objectively better, but has a dull colour scheme and doesn't get me excited.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Stuck 11’s on this and it’s very good fun, sounds great.

https://i.imgur.com/33vQf5R.jpg

• dindude said:
    Stuck 11’s on this and it’s very good fun, sounds great.

https://i.imgur.com/33vQf5R.jpg

Awesome colour