Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Zoe Ball's pay rise wtf

What's Hot
Can someone explain to me why in the current economic situation, with people being made redundant due to Covid-19 and lockdown, why Zoe Ball deserves a £990K pay rise so that she now earns £1.4 million for hosting a radio show? Fiona Bruce has had a £195K rise just for hosting Question Time which means she'll be well over a million with the Antiques Roadshow. Both seem pretty underwhelming to me.

I can see why Graham Norton is paid so much - his show also makes money for the BBC but nobody outside the UK listens to R2 or watches QT.

Rant over.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They're laundering cash through their OnlyFans pages.

Bye!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1430
    Presuambly to reduce the gap between male and female pay packets at the BBC.  It won't be for their 'talent' or revenue generating potential.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Lineker has signed a new contract. Next year his salary will drop by £400k. They'll both be on roughly the same money.

Equality innit.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Surely Alan Shearer is the issue, works once a week saying 'they need to shoot more' etc for nearly £400k - and he's already  wealthy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    I think once you've started listening to R2, you have given up.....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Dodge said:
    Presuambly to reduce the gap between male and female pay packets at the BBC.  It won't be for their 'talent' or revenue generating potential.

Just daft though. She's on the radio and yes she's added listeners but a cynic like me will say that's more to do with lockdown. Lineker at least fronts a lot of sports shows on TV. It's got to be easier to speak into a mic in a studio and play a few records than it is to front a TV show. Plus what about all the other radio presenters? Lauren Laverne is 'only' being paid £399K.

I'm sounding like the Emperor now ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Market forces.

Just about every BBC presenter could go to ITV and earn twice as much. 

Also most BBC programs are produced by independent production companies and the stars earn waaaay more than that.

It's always the radio presenters on the list because they are usually the only ones who are directly employed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Fretwired said:
    Dodge said:

Just daft though. She's on the radio and yes she's added listeners but a cynic like me will say that's more to do with lockdown. Lineker at least fronts a lot of sports shows on TV. It's got to be easier to speak into a mic in a studio and play a few records than it is to front a TV show. Plus what about all the other radio presenters? Lauren Laverne is 'only' being paid £399K.

I'm sounding like the Emperor now ... :-)
    TBH, I think Ball has a much more difficult job. Lineker has the same conversations every week. 

"So, lots to talk about. What do we make of that penalty decision..." 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Market forces.

Good luck to them. Then the next one in line can have a go at presenting. In his early days on R5, it may even have as far back as R2, Lineker stank the place out, he's been trained and others can be similarly trained. 

Get the really good broadcasters like Mark Chapman and Ellie Oldroyd to do it. 

How many people record MOTD and fast forward through the endless and often pointless analysis? A shorter, more direct and less flabby programme would be great.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited September 2020
    Those 2 bints are worth every penny of my licence fee, if I could, I would pay more.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Presumably her negotiation stance was ‘ at least I’m not Sara Cox’ at which point they just threw the money at her. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I used to find Steve Wright annoying until I started listening to Zoe Ball...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    edited September 2020

How many people record MOTD and fast forward through the endless and often pointless analysis? A shorter, more direct and less flabby programme would be great.
    Exactly. The 'expert pundits' are often an absolute joke. All the decent ones go to Sky for more wedge. It's an old boys club and nobody's interested. I'd be much happier with a Trans World Sport-style format with a simple, unobtrusive voiceover. No need for a studio, presenters or pundits on a highlights show.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Market forces. 
    ...and expensive agents.
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    Lebarque said:

Exactly. The 'expert pundits' are often an absolute joke. All the decent ones go to Sky for more wedge. It's an old boys club and nobody's interested. I'd be much happier with a Trans World Sport-style format with a simple, unobtrusive voiceover. No need for a studio, presenters or pundits on a highlights show.

I suspect BBC Sports will probably go before very long.
    They aren't going to have the budget for negotiating rights once the online platforms get involved.

The main problem is the requirement for the "Crown Jewels" which have to be free to air.

They could probably do a deal with a commercial broadcaster, but the current government may just scrap the legislation.
  • Market forces.

This is true, but the BBC are publicly funded, why not just let them go and replace them from people within?
    Are the public really demanding these highly paid already famous people?  Most people would be happy with relative unknowns as long as they are good at their job.

You have to wonder why on a publicly funded platform we pay radio DJ's 10x what we pay the PM.
    That said, it does explain Boris.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Market forces.

This is true, but the BBC are publicly funded, why not just let them go and replace them from people within?
    Are the public really demanding these highly paid already famous people?  Most people would be happy with relative unknowns as long as they are good at their job.

You have to wonder why on a publicly funded platform we pay radio DJ's 10x what we pay the PM.
    That said, it does explain Boris.....

That does happen to an extent as people often start on the BBC and then move to Sky, ITV etc.

People want personalities, that's why films have the faces of the stars and their names in big letters.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Snap said:
    I think once you've started listening to R2, you have given up.....
    Apart from Pop Master. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited September 2020

When you put it like that, we should be paying those DJs a hell of a lot more.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s like footballers , I don’t like football  but if they are good  at it people will pay  top whack for them , like someone on here said recently about Robbie Williams playing someone’s birthday party for what was it ? A million ?  

Plus  I guess the tax on the high income will go into the coffers ,  all those footballers paying tax and those bbc presenters , plus the millions of everyday joes , it all helps .