Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Zoe Ball's pay rise wtf

What's Hot

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    edited September 2020

Plus  I guess the tax on the high income will go into the coffers ,  all those footballers paying tax and those bbc presenters , plus the millions of everyday joes , it all helps .

That depends whether or not Jimmy Carr has introduced them to his accountant...
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Iamnobody said:

Plus  I guess the tax on the high income will go into the coffers ,  all those footballers paying tax and those bbc presenters , plus the millions of everyday joes , it all helps .

That depends whether or not Jimmy Carr has introduced them to his accountant...
    Footballers certainly pay a lot of tax, they get most of their wages through PAYE.  Of course they also have endorsement deals etc which allow for a bit of creative tax plannning...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited September 2020

This is true, but the BBC are publicly funded, why not just let them go and replace them from people within?
    Are the public really demanding these highly paid already famous people?  Most people would be happy with relative unknowns as long as they are good at their job.

You have to wonder why on a publicly funded platform we pay radio DJ's 10x what we pay the PM.
    That said, it does explain Boris.....

I agree .. Boris and JRM don't need the money and the peanuts we pay our politicians means people with real talent do something else.

You only have to look at YouTube to see some really creative and engaging presenters running their own channels. Hire some of them. BBC pay is going through the roof at a time when programs are being cut. More Mrs Brown's boys anyone?

I don't think Zoe Ball is worth £1 million and neither is Lineker. And what happened to diversity? The top paid people at the BBC are middle-aged and white.

Edit:

Apparently Zoe Ball has 900,000 fewer listeners than Chris Evans whom she replaced. So that's an £1 for every listener she lost ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lebarque said:

How many people record MOTD and fast forward through the endless and often pointless analysis? A shorter, more direct and less flabby programme would be great.
    Exactly. The 'expert pundits' are often an absolute joke. All the decent ones go to Sky for more wedge. It's an old boys club and nobody's interested. I'd be much happier with a Trans World Sport-style format with a simple, unobtrusive voiceover. No need for a studio, presenters or pundits on a highlights show.
    @lebarque I didn't know you were into trans.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Lebarque said:

How many people record MOTD and fast forward through the endless and often pointless analysis? A shorter, more direct and less flabby programme would be great.
    Exactly. The 'expert pundits' are often an absolute joke. All the decent ones go to Sky for more wedge. It's an old boys club and nobody's interested. I'd be much happier with a Trans World Sport-style format with a simple, unobtrusive voiceover. No need for a studio, presenters or pundits on a highlights show.
    @lebarque I didn't know you were into trans.
    I'm full of mystery and surprises, as you know.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think if the presenters could all get twice the amount of money on itv then they should be allowed to do so - they wouldn't all be able to as itv is not endlessly rich so then they would have to return with their tails between their legs and accept the lesser offer from the BBC.

I don't see why they are that essential anyway - people watch match of the day for the football not for the talking (which is hopelessly biased and bland anyway)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • I really don’t see how this can be sustained. 
    My kids don’t watch much regular TV, they stream everything. 
    Surely terrestrial TV is doomed, and the fat salaries with them. 
  • It’s like footballers , I don’t like football  but if they are good  at it people will pay  top whack for them , like someone on here said recently about Robbie Williams playing someone’s birthday party for what was it ? A million ?  

Footballers don’t play for a publicly funded entity, they play for clubs who’s membership is optional. Plus the skills required for a top level footballer are not easily replaced.

To replace a DJ you just need somebody who can talk and is irritating.  There’s a few people with those qualifications in my house, but nobody I’d put up front for United  ;)

I’m not against high profile personalities getting played a lot, I just think the BBC shouldn’t be paying over a million a year for somebody who could do the job well and offer a lot better value.  No doubt it’s a lot more complicated than that though.....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    I really don’t see how this can be sustained. 
    My kids don’t watch much regular TV, they stream everything. 
    Surely terrestrial TV is doomed, and the fat salaries with them. 

Nope

The average age of a linear TV viewer is now 60 and getting older every year.

BAME viewing is tiny.

A growing number of people don't need a TV licence.

Content creation is sloshing with silicon valley money.

They are screwed.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Why doesn't the BBC go over to the Netflix model, people who like BBC content can pay a monthly subscription and log in and watch it. 
    Those of us with no interest in Zoe Ball, Eastenders and whatever other crap they make can spend our money elsewhere without being branded a licence dodging criminal 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    Why doesn't the BBC go over to the Netflix model, people who like BBC content can pay a monthly subscription and log in and watch it. 
    Those of us with no interest in Zoe Ball, Eastenders and whatever other crap they make can spend our money elsewhere without being branded a licence dodging criminal 

Because it would have to stop doing all the stuff that's not commercially viable like: local news and radio, Welsh and Gaelic services, radio 4, byte size, parliament, world service, etc and that's the real value it provides.

Then it would just become the strictly channel which  is not really the point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    Because they've become corrupt and greedy for that government teet.

And they wouldn't last 5 years subjected to proper market forces.

I haven't had a license for over a decade. And won't be in the future either.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve not had a tv license for years as I only watch it a little bit like cop shows off torrents 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Danny1969 said:

Because it would have to stop doing all the stuff that's not commercially viable like: local news and radio, Welsh and Gaelic services, radio 4, byte size, parliament, world service, etc and that's the real value it provides.

In fairness, you could do what countries like Denmark have done and strip that out and make it publically funded media.  Everything else is by subscription. You could argue that the BBC's back catalogue was funded by the taxpayer so why is most of it on Britbox which is a subscription service?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    tFB Trader
    Fretwired said:
    Danny1969 said:

In fairness, you could do what countries like Denmark have done and strip that out and make it publically funded media.  Everything else is by subscription. You could argue that the BBC's back catalogue was funded by the taxpayer so why is most of it on Britbox which is a subscription service?
    I think that's probably what will have to happen. 

Commercial exploitation of content subsidises creation of new content so it seems like a fairly sensible thing to do.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    Danny1969 said:
    I think eventually the BBC will have their hand forced to do exactly this. I'm surprised it hasn't already. It's high time their employees were tied to the BBC only or leave. How much money does Lineker get paid for his crisp adverts on top of his BBC salary. Other presenters, not necessarily BBC, present several programmes and are rarely off the screen. Why are they so greedy to have several tv presenting jobs. Boring for us but also why not give other presenters a chance to provide the public with a new face. It's the reason I don't watch a lot of terrestial TV anymore. It's the same people all the time and most of the time the conversation is of little consequence small talk chit chat and therefore stultifyingly boring. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    For the Beeb to go to a subscription based model will take a cultural change that will be strongly resisted.

Talk to senior Beeboids and you get the impression that they consider their organisation to be a central pillar of the nation -  if the Beeb falls, so will the UK.

Programmes about cooking, tat in people's attics and dancing don't quite support that theory, but they will be the last people to acknowledge it. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    scrumhalf said:
    For the Beeb to go to a subscription based model will take a cultural change that will be strongly resisted.

Talk to senior Beeboids and you get the impression that they consider their organisation to be a central pillar of the nation -  if the Beeb falls, so will the UK.

Programmes about cooking, tat in people's attics and dancing don't quite support that theory, but they will be the last people to acknowledge it. 
    They can resist only so far though. As soon as the consensus decides they aren't value for money and refuse to pay the licence fee they will have to either adapt to be a streaming service or fail. The BBC is a dinosaur living on borrowed time. Their business model is archaic. If the government pulled the plug on the TV licence tomorrow they wouldn't be in a position to survive because they haven't planned for that outcome. You register to use BBC iPlayer and that's so they can pick up on your licence obligation. It's not a forerunner to a paid streaming service. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Apart from Pop Master. 
    ONLY with Ken Bruce tho'.......... ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • When the BBC say things like "we believe Gary Lineker and Zoe Ball are personalities that our viewers and listeners respond to" its very easy to sit there and say 'nah, don't believe you'.

But here's the thing. Mrs Brown's Boys. I don't know a single person who admits to liking it. Not one. Literally not one. But its insanely successful. 7 million views on Christmas day successful. Its undeniably popular. 

Viewed in that context, I can entirely believe the Beeb when they say that the Linekers, Shearers, and Balls of the world pull in an audience. The public as a whole cannot be judged by your own personal anecdote. There's 60m+ of us. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom