Mono Acoustic guitar gig-bag - who's using one?

What's Hot
I have a Mono M80 gig-bag for one of my basses and very good it is to. I'm seriously tempted to get one for my smallish bodied Atkin AA acoustic. Who's using one and what do you think of it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    I have one with my Larrivée parlour inside. It works a treat and has been to many countries with me with no problems. Always safe and well protected. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got the OM/classical sized one and the two guitars I own that are supposed to fit inside (one at a time, mind...) fit very well and are properly protected when I'm using to walk around, for open mics, etc. It's quality kit, IMHO. Expensive, but still only 7% of the value of the guitar inside it. 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 431
    I think that the OM/Classical size M80 should be a good fit, unfortunately everyone I've tried so far are out of stock. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    The only thing that would worry me about putting something nice like an Atkin in a Mono would be the risk of crushing pressure on the top.  I don't think any gigbag would be able to protect against that.

@merlin have you ever had to check your Larrivee in the luggage hold in the Mono, or do you always take it in the cabin with you?
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6595
    Trude said:
    @merlin have you ever had to check your Larrivee in the luggage hold in the Mono, or do you always take it in the cabin with you?
    I have only ever put it in the overhead. I would never have a guitar in the hold, unless it were in a proper flight case. 
    I don't see this type of gig bag as a fool-proof replacement for a flight case, just a good lighter and less bulky alternative to, let's say a Hiscox case.

TBH I wouldn't put all of my trust in any hard case to protect a cherished instrument from the rigorous care and attentions of the worldwide baggage handling community.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    JCA2550 said:
    I don't see this type of gig bag as a fool-proof replacement for a flight case, just a good lighter and less bulky alternative to, let's say a Hiscox case.

TBH I wouldn't put all of my trust in any hard case to protect a cherished instrument from the rigorous care and attentions of the worldwide baggage handling community.
    This.

Used Hiscox cases for flights and they've been great.

IMHO Mono are the ultimate gig bags, but they're still just gig bags

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Jalapeno said:

IMHO Mono are the ultimate gig bags, but they're still just gig bags
    Also this, much as I love the convenience of them, and use them for all my electric instruments.

I don't have a bag for my proper acoustics yet - I don't play them outside the house/studio enough to justify it really - but I probably will get a Mono if I need to and I'm travelling by car or public transport.

For me there is still a big psychological difference between putting an electric guitar or bass - no matter how valuable - and a two grand acoustic into a gig bag even as good as a Mono. And my bass is probably worth more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I noticed that Amazon had these back in stock, so I ordered one which turned up yesterday. It's an ideal fit  for 3 of my small bodied acoustics (obviously not all at the same time) and the build quality and features are really well thought out and executed.

Useful heads up, although these aren't inexpensive Amazon was £149 delivered for the OM/Classical sized vs £179 - £189 elsewhere, so if you're after one it's worth knowing.