Oil Finish on Poplar

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Just getting over the fear of it is a really big thing. At least it was for me. Once you dig in and start it gets easier. There's plenty of good advice and support to be had on here if goes in a direction you didn't quite intend, but you may and up loving it, quirks and all, because it becomes yours in a way that an off the peg guitar can never be.

Good luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hoopshoops Frets: 223
    I sprayed a poplar body in satin lacquer a little while ago, it was very easy to work with. One coat, denib then another coat and done. I'm in two minds about the colour/s but the lacquer definitely improved it. 

It depends on your piece of wood (and yours is much more even in colour) but I do think poplar is more suited to a solid colour finish.

That's amazing - I love that!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    jaymenon said:
    So the back of that guitar is Poplar @TTony ?

and a black stain winds up giving you a chocolatey colour?

also, would that be crimson’s penetrating finishing oil, or the high build finishing oil? I think the latter is slightly thinner...
    No, it's Idigbo (Korina alike). 

It's "chocolatey" because  I like chocolate.  If you wanted a deeper and more consistent black, you'd apply a couple more coats of the stain.

I think I used the penetrating oil on that one.  But I've got both, so could have been either!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom