Great ‘All rounder’ speakers

What's Hot
I play Les Pauls into a 50w plexi style amp. I play mainly classic rock / blues rock style stuff but at one end of the scale I drift into slightly heavier classic rock like Clutch and Black Stone Cherry and at the other end some Motown, soul and even John Mayer pop.

Just wondering what would be a good ‘all rounder’ speaker to pair with my Les Paul and plexi setup to cover the classic rock stuff but be able to branch out a little into the other styles I mentioned. My initial thought was a Greenback but would welcome some advice!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    G12-65's or Creambacks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    G12-65's or Creambacks.
    THIS!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    Creamback G12M-65s are tighter and more even-sounding than Greenbacks and don't tend to fart out at the bottom end when pushed hard, and have much greater power handling.

I would also consider G12H-30s, Classic Lead 80s or Creamback G12H-75s - they're clearer and with a bit more bottom end than the M-type speakers, so very versatile if you need clean sounds as well.

Or even one of each - the Creamback G12M-65/G12H-75 combination is superb in a 2x12".

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    Yeah. Creambacks. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Another Creambacks +1 here. Love the H75, and it pairs really nicely with a V30 for a very full sounding cab. I haven't tried the M65 yet, but I'm not a huge fan of Greenbacks, they're too raspy and farty yet thin on the low end.
  • eminence CV-75 Eminence Govner
  • I have g12h30 8 ohm and an eninence legend 1218  also 8ohm I'm selling if you're interested.
  • G12-80 / Classic Lead 80. I like the old 444 cone G12-80's if you can find a set of those.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    TTBZ said:
    Another Creambacks +1 here. Love the H75, and it pairs really nicely with a V30 for a very full sounding cab. I haven't tried the M65 yet, but I'm not a huge fan of Greenbacks, they're too raspy and farty yet thin on the low end.
    The G12M-65 fixes those problems, while remaining quite like the Greenback in terms of overall voicing. It's slightly darker, tighter at the bottom end and just a bit more 'solid' sounding overall, but still has the warm midrange and slightly fuzzy top-end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• I would also vote for the CL80 and Creambacks. Both are excellent speakers and it just depends on your preference.

I've also been hugely impressed by the Neo Creambacks. Apart from the obvious weight saving, they're quite neutral sounding and responsive. Definitely worth trying if you can.
  • Another creamback voter here, I bloody love my Zilla with one in  <3
  • HugoHugo Frets: 4
    How about a Alnico cream for a nice vintage flavor? 
  • Ceramic - creamback g12m / creamback neo 
    Alnico - Cream (I prefer this to the Gold)