Sofas

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
We've had our DFS sofas now for just over 5 years and they have frankly been shit. They have sagged and been tightened four or five times and now there's the top metal spring poking through part of it. We spent about £1500 on them for a four seater, three seater and a foot stool but in honesty, they are shit.

Any suggestions where to get some new ones from? Id hate to spent another £1500 on sofas, so if finance is available, that be better. Hit me up with some recommendations
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16008
    A good sofa should be a long term investment and it will be expensive ;like a good bed .
    Buy the best and most expensive that you can ;that way you only cry once .
    We had the same very expensive sofas for almost 30 years .They were exceptional but originally cost a fortune because they were Ligne Roset ( think £7000) I sold them for £1200 after 30 years .
     Made the mistake of buying DFS.....their most expensive range ......complete shit .....sagged , frayed, broken within 18 months .
    Never again.........cheap Chinese made rubbish .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    we bought our sofa 2nd hand from a house clearance auction about 20 years ago now, it's still going strong. Mrs f patched the covers a few years back, and I've had to do a bodge repair to a broken spring my side, but I hope it'll see me out. No idea of the make or brand, not even sure how I'd find out. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10228

We've got a four seat leather sofa and a four seat fabric one in our living room, both bought from DFS around twenty years ago. Both still in perfect nick, other than the odd scratch from one of our cats. I can only assume the quality was a lot better back then. I wouldn't buy one from there nowadays though, there's a couple of places locally to me who deal in high quality furniture who I'd rather give my business to. I'm really gassing for a quality Chesterfield at some point. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18376
    Can you not just wait until DFS has a sale?
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    We did that before, Id never go back to DFS again. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Go super cheap (ikea, Argos etc ) and replace every three or four years.  
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've actually had an Argos sofa for about 20 years.

I also have a really expensive multi York sofa which my kids have completely destroyed by jumping on it.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    We have an MandS one that's lasted okay although the accompanying chair not so well. We've also one we had from SofaSofa in the backroom that has lasted well although doesn't get as much use. 
    DFS are over priced, just rely on people needing finance. Although I have been to their factory and it wasn't in China.

[SofaSofa, made in Wales, start relatively low in price and there's a good range of fabrics and customisations.]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    We've got two three seater fabric ones from Next. Had them five years, no sagging, robust (even with kids using them as trampolines). £1200 for the pair IIRC. 
  • westfordwestford Frets: 553
    We’ve had our Argos sofas for 14 years. They could do with being replaced now, but have lasted longer than we expected.
    I still have the ikea sofa we bought over 20 years ago, nearly as good as the day we bought it. That is mostly cos it's so unbelievably uncomfortable you can't sit in it for more than 5 mins so it never gets used except as an occasional cat bed, but still, going strong after 20+ years. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Usually if you want good quality and a fair price there will be a company on an industrial unit not too far from you that makes sofas for shops to sell that will happily sell to you direct, in a style and colour you like for a good price.
  • steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    edited October 2020
    Sofa Sofa factory shop is in Crumlin.  Thomas Lloyd in Treorchy.  Both not too far from you.
    Bought 3 chairs and 3-seater from TL 20 years or so ago, still like new today.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Leekes.
  • We wanted a 4 seat sofa a few years back, and couldn't find one at a sensible price. Then we found Nabru who create flat back, modular sofas that just slot together. This means they can deliver on a single crate. Ours cost £500 and we like it, though it's not premium quality it has kept it's shape and is comfy enough. You can buy multiple sets of covers too. Really neat idea.

Similarly, there's a company called Swyft who make a more stylish design but is more expensive.
  • Inherited a multiyork one a few years a go, it had been recovered once and still looked brand new. It was just too big for our new place and we didn't want to spend too much so went with Next. It was just over/under a grand and has been going well for just over a year now. Still looks like new. 

I am careful to plump/swap the cushions once a week. 
    Inherited a multiyork one a few years a go, it had been recovered once and still looked brand new. It was just too big for our new place and we didn't want to spend too much so went with Next. It was just over/under a grand and has been going well for just over a year now. Still looks like new. 

I am careful to plump/swap the cushions once a week. 
    yeah, we all like to plump the cushions whenever we can.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    edited October 2020
    We bought multiyork sofas in 1987, two for £1600.  We've had two sets of new covers made - not cheap -  a few new cushions along the way and we're just about to get them reupholstered at a cost of £1000 each.

So, when they're completed in a couple of months time, I reckon on a cost of about £6000 ish all in for nearly 34 years of comfortable and classy sitting plus they will then be good for another 10 years at least without maintenance.

Sofasofa offer a reasonable alternative, with the loose covers and the ability to replace cushions as and when needed.  For example---

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited October 2020
    There’s a fantastic cheap welsh company that makes them onsite. We got our leather ones there 20 years ago, they’ll outlive us that’s for sure - let me find it. 

Edit: Oh! It’s sofasofa! We got the Malmo 3 seater and chair. Love ‘em. 

rlw said:
    We bought multiyork sofas in 1987, two for £1600.  We've had two sets of new covers made - not cheap -  a few new cushions along the way and we're just about to get them reupholstered at a cost of £1000 each.

So, when they're completed in a couple of months time, I reckon on a cost of about £6000 ish all in for nearly 34 years of comfortable and classy sitting plus they will then be good for another 10 years at least without maintenance.

Sofasofa offer a reasonable alternative, with the loose covers and the ability to replace cushions as and when needed.  For example---

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Interesting experiences with DFS. 

We bought a 3 and a 2 seater sofa about 25 years ago, and they lasted really well, all through our kids' teenage years. 

When we wanted new ones about 6 years ago, we went back to DFS.  Big mistake.  Quality has gone right down.

We'll be looking again soon, and they won't be on our list.