(Jazz) Jens Larsen, II V I - You Need To Practice This For Solos

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ColdfingersColdfingers Frets: 33
    edited October 2020
    Cranky said:
    ^ I believe you, but I don't understand.  What is meant by "c shaped" and "e shaped" etc?  I thought you were referring to CAGED, but the series of descriptions starting at "D shaped C at the open position of the top 3 strings" lost me.  I tried it on the EAD strings and the GBE strings and wasn't able to make sense of it.

When I say C/D shape, I'm trying to describe how I see it/think of it - this might not necessarily be an approved method found in a book but it is how I see it!

Just play/finger an open position "C Maj" chord.

Now just play the top three (G B E) strings whilst holding that chord.

Playing the GBE strings in that order, the actual notes that you play are G (open string), C (first fret of B string), and E (open string).

So that's "G-C-E" that you've played (which is the second inversion).

If you now play at the 12th position, using the "C note) on the 13th fret of the B string, you have to play a "D shape".

Another way of looking at it is if you play an open position "D chord", now lower it by 2 frets so that the only note you're fretting is the "C" on the B string and you now have two fingers behind the nut.

Run through your caged chords in C, and play only the notes of the top 3 strings (GBE). it does get a little bit more complicated as you use 5th & 6th (A and low E) as you have to make an adjustment to make sure you have the triad (1-3-5) and not just a power chord.

Hope that helps!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    Ah yeah, I get you.  Always hard for us self-taught guys to explain things, being a little light on the lingo.

You might like this one from Paul Davids, then. 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    I'll say this again, you need to listen obsessively and love Jazz to play it well.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    edited October 2020
    GuyBoden said:
    I'll say this again, you need to listen obsessively and love Jazz to play it well.
    That’s true, but is that the whole picture? 

What about those of us who don’t have that the musical intuition to make sense of it all and get started?

I don’t consider myself a Jazz player, so perhaps disregard this. But despite the amount of listening I did and love I have for it, there were still so many things I transcribed etc that made no sense to me. They become licks or lines that just existed in isolation and my jazz playing was still crap no matter how much listening and playing I did. That’s not to say it’s any good now but hopefully you get my point. 

Learning the fretboard and having strategies like the ones in the original Jens Larsen vid were my ‘way in’ so to speak. Granted, just doing exercises doesn’t make anyone good at playing jazz either, but I think they are valuable for helping contextualise this stuff on the fretboard for those of us who found/find it a secret club. 

So what I’m trying to say is, I think the two go hand in hand smile 
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    I think there’s easy jazz and difficult jazz. You can get started with stuff like Autumn Leaves and then go on to Giant Steps et al. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom