Harley Benton 12 String £99

What's Hot
andypandyp Frets: 332
edited October 2020 in Acoustics
Hi folks.

I know nothing about acoustics really... or 12 strings. But, I’m kind of fascinated by them and happened to see this model on Thomann for £99.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbd20012bk_12stringwestern.htm

Are they worth a go or best avoided? It would really be an experiment but if it’s useless I’d rather not chuck £100 away.

I am not sure what the hell I’d play on it and I always find acoustics massive to play but I’m intrigued at the same time.

Any pointers or experience would be great. :)

Thanks.

Andy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9577
    Crikey. If you bought 12 tuners, a pickup system, and a set of strings you wouldn’t have much change left from £100. And they can sell you a whole guitar at a profit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Exactly. That’s why I’m not sure what to expect from it...

It seems to get decent reviews though.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1576
    edited October 2020
    My neighbour just bought a Harley Benton travel guitar last week for around The same price. It had sharp fret ends and the action was really high but now he’s fixed that it’s not bad at all! Especially considering how cheap it was. 
    That's kind of what I was expecting too, but like you say... for £99 that's acceptable and every guitar is going to need a tweak here and there I suppose.

I'm beginning to think it has to be worth a go.

• I'm pretty sure you'll get what you pay for. You ought to be able to pick up a solid-top 2nd hand for around that price (my Crafter MD-80 was £100 on Gumtree). There are a couple of Yamaha FG420s on Gumtree (sadly, not in your area).
    Aye. I think a wee bit more research on a used  option would be more worthwhile.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11878
    probably you'd need to spend £30-£40 on a setup whatever new guitar you bought
    sometimes that's been done for you with second hand guitars
  • Be careful with 12 strings. I paid a bit more for an avalon and that was a complete turkey.  
  • MudcrutchMudcrutch Frets: 323
    I bought the very same guitar for my son when we first went into lockdown.
    Have to say I was rather impressed by it.
    Its really nice to play and the SQ is excellent when used acoustically or plugged in.
    A few weeks later I bought the B&W Harley Benton rickenbacker lookalike 12 string which is also excellent.
    Interesting! Thanks. I’ve been looking at that Rick shaped one too and the £200ish acoustic.