Mixing for backing tracks

So since we started rehearsing again after lockdown 1.0 we're playing everything to a click. For most of our material there's just the click going to our ears but for some newer stuff weve got random synths, impacts, sfx and stuff.

I was wondering how you approach mixing backing tracks for live use? Ideally I want to present to the venue as 2 channels, a click and a monot backing track. Given that it will be reproduced on a PA rather than monitors or phones is there any strategies I should use when mixing the backing elements?
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    Stereo BT track and mono click for me for venues but to be honest for click you need a self contained solution. If you rely on FOH to provide click in ears you cab be  playing with fire ... especially at venues with older analog desk, no proper mix recall, multi bands etc .. Got burned a few times on that !

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:
    Stereo BT track and mono click for me for venues but to be honest for click you need a self contained solution. If you rely on FOH to provide click in ears you cab be  playing with fire ... especially at venues with older analog desk, no proper mix recall, multi bands etc .. Got burned a few times on that !

We do have enough for 16 ins and outs on our PA rig but i figured 2 tracks would make it as simple as possible for the venue 

Only down side with running everything off our PA is we would also need to mic the guitars and whatnot, which we do at practice but I guess the house engineer would want to mic them for FoH too.

:)

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • If it were me, I wouldn't rely on anything coming back from the PA. I'd have something on stage that deals with all monitoring before any signals even hit the FOH. Especially at the sort of shit-holes we end up playing in! :)

Bye!

• If it were me, I wouldn't rely on anything coming back from the PA. I'd have something on stage that deals with all monitoring before any signals even hit the FOH. Especially at the sort of shit-holes we end up playing in! :)

We totally could do that, its how we run rehearsals but it does take a while to setup. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ