Consensus Who album?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    Not a lot of love for Tommy? It's not my favourite at all either. It sounds under produced to me, like Beatles tracks before George Martin added strings, the production seems to drag the album down.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    This has reminded me to go relisten to Live at Leeds. Unfortunately it'll be a while as it's on the local lockdown shelf of my CD collection. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    ICBM said:

Yes, but it doesn’t have Won’t Get Fooled Again on it...
    Or Baba O’Riley and Behind Blue Eyes.

Or anything from Quadrophenia, which would be my pick for their best album overall, even though it also doesn’t have those.

Live At Leeds has the interminable version of My Generation which spoils it.
    Don’t talk wet, man. That version of MG is one of THE definitive rock performances. 

No other band gets close to that. 

Not to mention packing a whole host of classic guitar tones into 14 mins. 
  • Simples............Who’s Next.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    Who’s Next
    Tommy
    Quadrophenia
    Live at Leeds 

They're all the ones I've got.  Not a prolific band at all, when you look back.  Who's Next is the one for me.

The film The Kids Are Alright has some absolutely fantastic live performances from the 1970s.  Townshend likes to portray himself as the boring steady guy in a band full of lead players, but he was bloody amazing in those days.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Has to be Live At Leeds..... there’s a moment in Magic Bus (03:22) where the whole band creates the most incredible sonic boom... gives me the chills it’s so perfect.  

My favourite studio album is The Who By Numbers and as soundtracks go, Quadrophenia takes some beating. 

Empty Glass is another brilliant Who album that doesn’t feature any of the Who apart from Townshend, if you get my drift.  ;)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26873
    Philly_Q said:
    Who’s Next
    Tommy
    Quadrophenia
    Live at Leeds 

They're all the ones I've got.  Not a prolific band at all, when you look back.  Who's Next is the one for me.

The film The Kids Are Alright has some absolutely fantastic live performances from the 1970s.  Townshend likes to portray himself as the boring steady guy in a band full of lead players, but he was bloody amazing in those days.
    I think they were fairly prolific, they just spread the really best stuff across all their output for a long time
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    Redlester said:

That version of MG is one of THE definitive rock performances. 

No other band gets close to that. 

Not to mention packing a whole host of classic guitar tones into 14 mins. 
    It marks the point they finally completed the transition from sharp, edgy Mods to overblown self-indulgent Rockers.

They did plenty of good stuff afterwards (I still think Who’s Next and Quadrophenia are the peak) but the Townshend who wrote My Generation said everything that needed to be said in 3 minutes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Definitely the early stuff for me...

Meaty, Beaty Big and Bouncy
    This is the correct answer.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I'm no Who fan but I bought Who’s Next expecting to love it. I only really liked Won't get fooled again.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    axisus said:
    I'm no Who fan but I bought Who’s Next expecting to love it. I only really liked Won't get fooled again.
    I am a Who fan and I think Who’s Next is a long way from being their best album. 
  • I went off on a Who binge after reading this and hearing Love reign o’er me on Planet Rock (hadn’t heard it before and liked it, reminded me of how good the Who could be in a non Rock way).

It has to be said though...they did some really dubious stuff over the years. I could only listen to about half of Who Are you, for instance...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Not a lot of love for Tommy? It's not my favourite at all either. It sounds under produced to me, like Beatles tracks before George Martin added strings, the production seems to drag the album down.
    Played to death at me in music lessons at school by trendy art school type teachers.  Can't stand it.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5400
    My very first exposure to anything The Who was the Tommy movie... idly watched what was probably a heavily-edited-for-TV version on a Sunday afternoon or something during a lazy summer. So for a while as a very young person I thought that Elton John was the guy behind 'Pinball Wizard'. I liked it.
    Whitecat said:
    My very first exposure to anything The Who was the Tommy movie... idly watched what was probably a heavily-edited-for-TV version on a Sunday afternoon or something during a lazy summer. So for a while as a very young person I thought that Elton John was the guy behind 'Pinball Wizard'. I liked it.
    The re-recorded versions of the Tommy songs for the 1975 movie are not as good as the original 1969 album versions, even though the production of the 1969 album is lacking, all my opinion of course. 

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    ronnyb said:
    The soundtrack to ‘McVicar’ is worth a listen too. I think it’s a Who album in all but name.
    Must correct that. A bit of googling reveals that Daltrey sang all the tracks but none of the material was written by who members. They did play on some of the tracks though.
  • Whitecat said:
    The re-recorded versions of the Tommy songs for the 1975 movie are not as good as the original 1969 album versions, even though the production of the 1969 album is lacking, all my opinion of course. 
    Kit Lambert was a bit tight with the dough to have had it recorded ina decent studio. Moonie and The Ox play their parts rather straight (certainly compared to how they did them live) as the band was in so much debt and were likely to have been dropped from most of their contracts if the album failed to sell.
    edited October 2020
    Whitecat said:
    Kit Lambert was a bit tight with the dough to have had it recorded ina decent studio. Moonie and The Ox play their parts rather straight (certainly compared to how they did them live) as the band was in so much debt and were likely to have been dropped from most of their contracts if the album failed to sell.
    Yeah, you're right, I know The Who did get into a bit of bother financially. It's a shame as with a proper production, and producer, Tommy could have been improved with addition of more carefully constructed overdubs, strings and some other backing. It would have costs a fortune though. I remember George Martin explaining how he got a full 30 piece orchestra in for the Abbey Road overdubs on Golden Slumbers, Carry That Weight, The End, Something and Here Comes The Sun and set them up in Studio 1 of Abbey Road with CCTV link to the control room. It must have cost a packet at Musicians Union rates for them boys. 

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Instructive to see Roger Daltrey on Gogglebox last night, extolling the virtues of mixing still and sparkling water 50/50 - apparently too much fizz makes him fart.

Rock'n'roll, baby!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For me The Who Sell out is a brilliant concept album, each song interweaves with a Radio Jingle. 
    Heinz Baked beans, Rotosound strings etc. 

“Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom