Dexibell keyboards - any hands-on experience?

Thinking about replacing my MIDI controller with a piano-weighted keyboard and would like some great pianos. Apart from the usual suspects (Kord, Roland, Yamaha, Nord, Kawai), Dexibell popped up on a search and seem pretty good (full 15-second piano samples, 1.5GB user updateable and SF2 compatible).

But there are relatively few proper reviews or videos, AFAICS, and there's no local stockist, so I'd have to buy sight unseen.

Has anyone here laid hands/ears on them?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dude, I know that this isn't what you asked but..... I bought an M-Audio Hammer 88 last week. If you want an affordable weighted keyboard, this fits the bill.
    For piano, I use Waves Grand Rhapsody Piano.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    I hear you, but I have a weighted controller already. I want a switch-on+play piano for when I am not using the Mac.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    My keys player is classically trained and a music teacher, he swears by dexibell for sound. I believe when he purchased his he in his words ‘tried everything’ because he’d ‘rarely get the green light on a purchase of this magnitude from the wife’; admittedly I think his was the top of the range home piano solution but I believe the samples are the same throughout the range.
    ^ Thanks. I think you are right about the samples being the same for all of them. It's the packaging: keybed, controls, speakers/none, pitch/mod/none that make the £££ difference.

I could keep the existing controller and get the SX7 module (same brain), but ... I think I prefer to have it all integrated as an instrument.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 281
    I don't have Dexibell piano experience, but a general comment re Dexibell instruments,  my Dad bought an L3 last week, specifically for pipe organ sounds.  He is really pleased with the authenticity of the pipe organ and other voices.

The build quality was also a pleasant surprise, it feels like a really well made piece of kit. 

The L3 is made in Italy, I'm not sure this is true of all their products.  I believe the company was formed by ex-Roland employees.
    @Chris.B - I've heard the same about the company's origins. 

I think the SF2 compatibility with somehting (say) SampleRobot ought to give Dexibell longevity - as long as the hardware's reliable. Certainly it will go beyond the fixed samples of Casio/Kawai/Roland. Nord (of course) is a leader in that, but you gotta pay for it.

Still weighing up the options while I wait for my MC2000 controller to sell...
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 281
    My Dad's L3 is only a week old, so can't comment on longevity, but it certainly feels like a quality product. 

Unfortunately I can't offer anything more useful, I don't play the keyboard - I'm having enough trouble getting to grips with 6 strings on my guitar!

Good luck with your search.