Why I joined, and what I'm looking for here

What's Hot

Comments

• moremore Frets: 230
    Hello all
     New to this site , but I have been involved in music business  most of my life  as a Luthier and retailer.I have now reached the age of  retirement, so   have  started a new  small business,  Alchemy  Strings  , posted a link in Made In England. My strings are actuly made in America by the one of the  oldest and biggest manufacture of musical strings. They supply  most of the big brands  . The difference with my strings is they don't come in fancy packaging or sold  via a string of distributors and retailers.

My personal  go-to instruments at moment are the ukulele and cigar box guitar . I'm a bedroom player .but music  has  supported me  both physically and mentally  and hopefully  will  continue to do so for a little while longer.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Been on this site for ages but only really engaged when buying things.
    Going to make more of an effort to participate.

Massive Floyd head with a good dose of Police fandom too.
    Love collecting and playing boutique pedals.

I gig (when Boris allows) in a covers band - ironically playing bass and often with no pedals on.

I normally come here to see whats for sale but I'll try and read some more of the chat.
  • 60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
    Hello;

Joined because i needed advice, am clueless and i didn't know where to ask really :)
    I think that sums it up quite fairly!

(world's best introduction ever)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hello Freters,

I'm here for some decent banter and to see what's out there - advice, guitar and gearwise, and hopefully contribute as best I can. Been playing a long, long time but there is always something to learn. If I can share anything I have learned so far, and if it is any use to others - all to the good.

With there being virtualy no meeting up at gigs at the mo, it would be good to swap stories, experiences and views.
    Also due to the above (and to keep myself sane over winter months), I'm starting on the journey into making my own guitar(s)
    I have my eye an old mahogany cabinet in the hall which would be much better re-purposed as an SG or LP.
    So hope to get some good advice and find out about others experieces.

May not have looked around enough yet so only a suggestion... how about a dedicated "Wanted" section i.e. "Guitars wanted", "Amps wanted" and "Parts wanted" etc. I would happily browse it over a coffee?? and it might spur me into getting stuff out of the back of the cupboard. What do you think?

Cheers

Powderfinger
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 108
    Hi - joined because I am an old codger well-matured adult who has just taken up the guitar, and wants to learn stuff
  • 19831983 Frets: 21
    Joined about a year ago after buying an old guitar that had been previously sold here. There was some non disclosed issues which let me to join the forum in order to contact one of the guitar's previous owners. The chap was a total gent and very kindly corrected/confirmed some details re: the electronics in my guitar.

I settled nicely with the guy who I bought the guitar from and ended up happy. 

I still have the guitar, it gets a lot of use, and also discovered what a great place this is. Have traded/sold some bits and met some cool people along the way.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I got recommended here by a friend who has sold stuff here before. So my initial reason is to trade a guitar that I've not had much luck with on Gumtree.
    It's also nice to have an old style forum again, Facebook and Reddit have killed most of them off, which is sad because there's no sense of community there.
    Maximum volume yields maximum results
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I wanted a forum that is alive. There are lots out there where the last post is September.

I also look to pick up hints and tips. I'm never going to be a great player (I'm just a chord hack) although I took some guitar lessons recently to try and pick out "tunes". It's slow but it's coming on. Plan to go back in the new year once I'm reasonably competent at the things I've learned.
  • thejkrthejkr Frets: 10
    • Why you joined and what you want
    Ive been searching for a European forum like this one forever. Im delighted to have finally discovered this community. Im here to learn more about guitar building and to show support for lesser known luthiers.
    • Any specific suggestions or request
    Great site. Well organized. Good job. Thank you! Not a criticism, but it's a bit tricky to figure out where the established luthiers post guitars for sale. I initially thought they might have an icon on their profile page which you click and are redirected to a thread in the classifieds section. Perhaps this is something to consider :-)
  • Being honest, I do have a guitar to sell and I thought it'd be better to deal with likeminded and knowledgeable individuals at a forum like this than having to put up with Joe public offering me 50 pence on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace. And the less said about eBay the better.

All that said, I have been a member at a lot of forums over the years and it seems like a good community here and one I would be more than happy to hang around at and get involved with (though I find communities like this are often very bad for your GAS if you're not careful!!!)...
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    This town ain't big enough for the both of us... ;)

Welcome.
  • I initially signed up after finding this site whilst browsing for reviews and information for the Boss GT-1 that I'd just bought at the time.

I find some of the personal gear reviews on here very enlightening, especially the recent reviews of the ToneMaster amps, HX Stomp, etc.

At the moment I'm enjoying some the home builds that are going on. There's some very talented builders on this site.
  • mikewmikew Frets: 16
    Came across this as I was googling for what is my current dream guitar - a never ending rabbit warren of new ideas and escalating cost!
    I realise I'm not the only one now  -is buying 3 guitars this year too many?? What else is there to spend it on? Holidays are out the window and I can honestly say I've made more progress as a player this year than the last 10.
    Already the selection of guitars forum members have and sell is far more interesting than other sites, and shops.
    Money is burning a hole.........
  • AlxAlx Frets: 1
    Hey. I found the forum searching reviews of an online guitar dealer and the posts here were helpful.
    I've been playing acoustic guitars for 30-odd years but in the last three or four have really dug into it and improved so I treated myself to my first electric back in August, a nice MIM tele with a gorgeous sounding tonemaster deluxe reverb. What's surprised me most is how playing the tele has helped my acoustic skills.
    These things have made me happy so I've joined here to browse, ask the occasional dumb question and get some direction about where to go gearwise, particularly re pedals and getting a nice 'nice' offset. All the best.

• I joined because I wanted somewhere that was fairly vendor agnostic, (lots of forums for specific brands, not so many for general guitar) and that was active. I had a look around as a lurker and the community seemed to be good and well moderated when necessary.
    As someone who is really new to guitar and looking to improve their skills and knowledge, having a community of like-minded people available to turn to is really valuable. I've skirted the guitar world for years now, but haven't really done anything serious with it until now. I'm keen to learn as much as I can from people with a lot more experience than me.
  • Found this place whilst looking for Gear4music vs Thomann.

And this forum popped up.

So I decided to join.

I've been playing on and off for 50 years but still waiting to get half deçent

I have been better in the past but my chops are way off their best now.

Annette
  • Paule.MPaule.M Frets: 2
    I've just joined ! I'd like to know more tips for a beginner. I tried to play years ago ... Didn't really work. So now I bought myself a Ukulele, and it's not enough now. I come here for info about what is important when u buy a guitar and everything ....

• RobbRobb Frets: 9
    Bit like Alx really as I've been playing acoustic for many a year.  I did briefly have a fling with electric (I still have the Vox MkXII but it is in a sad state of repair) but it dropped off as I got married / had kids and playing acoustic was just so much easier (and quieter). 
    Just started recording stuff myself and thought I would buy an electric to see what it would bring to the table.  Long story short, I am now the proud owner of an Eggle Los Angeles Pro 2 and needed a bit of an insight into how to get the best out of it.  Joined the Eggle board and found this at the same time, so now I'm on both. Seeing the guitars on sale has also piqued my interest and I'm probably going to buy a hollow body or Telecaster type guitar next so see what different tones they may bring into the equation, so this board ticks both needs.
    Not a lot to say about how to make the board better; they are what they are, but the mods appear to have a great handle on how to keep things organised as well as friendly, open and interesting.  Good job.
  • DavloDavlo Frets: 3
    Hi. I've joined the group because I've finally decided to sell my marshall  amp and 4 x 12 (just haven't got room anymore)
    The cab is 1968 with Celestion G 12 M greenbacks x 4. It's in fully working order but truly terrible cosmetic condition due to being dragged around the back of a van and various rehearsal rooms etc. back in the day. 
    The amp is a 1978 super lead 100w with the master volume and high and low sensitivity inputs.
    Basically just want some advice as to whether to leave as is or to think about restoration?W ill post in the amps section later when I've got bit more time and will put pics up etc. 
    Fascinating forum by the way, glad I found you!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1449
    edited April 2021
    Hi, 
    My name is Jon. I have always been a fan of British music and gear. I moved to York 8 years ago after wandering around the world (I am a scientist), but it hasn’t been until my wife gave me a quality Les Paul clone for my birthday that I got a little bit more serious about learning guitar & music in general. Aside from clocking hundreds of hours of practice, I have been gearing up lately, and have once again been impressed and fascinated by several perhaps underrated UK makers/designers. I want to learn more, and this forum seemed well populated by respectful, older folk who will probably know a lot gear-wise. I also did a bit of basic repair work on a guitar recently so I’m also into that. 

Thanks for hosting this site. I can empathise with other posters about Facebook killing forums. I like forums and I don’t find Facebook inspiring. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie