Cello gas

want to try my hand at a cello. Low budget and want to avoid buying some rubbish off amazon. any recommendations? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 229
    Thought about trying a cello a few years ago.
    Put off by crazy prices of even basic kit that was worth bothering with.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    try a rental place. I still have my rental violin, a primovera 200 I think it is. I think stentor do a good, low budget one as well. Be warned, violin strings are about £10 each, and upwards. They are cheap compared to cello strings!!!

Try and go to a proper violin family luthier, get it all set up for you.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• I picked up from ebay a stentor.  seems ok and good condition (not that id know) £200.   there are cheaper ones out there but  stentor seem to have a decent name for the low end ones. I have seen strings for about £100 each but ive also seen complete sets for about £12. go figure. Anyway, even if i cant get to play it, it s a nice bit of furniture. I would like to find a teacher to at least get me started and avoid bad techniques.
  • Call a local violin dealer.  They will know what is available and generally give excellent advice.  You might get one that has been traded in.

Stentor is OK starter brand.  My daughter is a violinist but plays cello too.  She has upgraded from a Stentor but it was fine for her starting out.
  • Call a local violin dealer.  They will know what is available and generally give excellent advice.  You might get one that has been traded in.

Stentor is OK starter brand.  My daughter is a violinist but plays cello too.  She has upgraded from a Stentor but it was fine for her starting out.
    yes, i picked up a stentor 2.  seems ok (not that i really know) but been scratching away with it  a few wakes now.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I advised Rolls in this thread with assistance from my professional cellist better half:

• DLM said:
    I advised Rolls in this thread with assistance from my professional cellist better half:

ive been teaching myself with a couple of books and youtube lessons for a couple of months, quite pleased with my progress but not expecting to join the london philharmonic yet. I do need a teacher but finding one in these lockdown times is not possible. Im really glad i started though, thoroughly enjoying it, its also made me play guitae more, as a bonus.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Excellent! :) We're definitely not fishing for business, but: after years of resisting my suggestion, she's proven she can make it work online (though it's not ideal for absolute beginners, admittedly), so you could explore the option of taking online lessons, perhaps with someone local to you that you can then transition to in-person with when we get through all this.