Introduce Yourself

What's Hot

Comments

• Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Pretty much every pair of trainers/Converse I've ever owned!

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Essex born & bred - but the antithesis of that TOWIE rubbish

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Just to enjoy music without conforming to any stereotypes or preconceived constraints.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

TC Electronic Polytune Clip - sometimes it's the simple things!

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

Tricky this one, but going to go with D-A-D, Grow or Pay

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyGuy Frets: 5

Q1:  Where did you username come from? its just my name ! 

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? uk plymouth 

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? to play better than i do (prolly not hard) and eventually get back into a band when life goes back to "normal"

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? my mesa lonestar 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? mean streets Van halen

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FlipFlip Frets: 68

Q1:  Where did your username come from? It's what my wife's always called me.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Manchester UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? At 77 it has to be to do everything better.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Just one is too limiting. The prettiest guitar I ever owned was a Vega in blonde flame maple, spruce soundboard and gold plated fittings. A client dropped it an broke the head off. Don't like guitar braggers so I'll leave it there, though I'm very happy with a new red Gretsch Electromatic that I was able to afford because I got more that I expected when I sold some old video production gear (my former job). 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Again too limiting but I wish I could play Recuerdos de la Alhambra.

I've been playing since I was 14 and I'm currently teaching my 9-year-old grandson to play. His f-year-old brother wants to learn and will start on a ukulele at Christmas.

• edited November 2020

Hello all!

Q1:  Where did you username come from? About 17 years ago when I was 15 (eek) there was a user on the Metallica forum called Gerbie the Mad Forklift. I think several of us copied his username as a joke once, I just kept it.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? York UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To enjoy it. I spent half my life as a musician, about 5 years as a pro in a band and also doing a lot of functions on the side. As everyone says, the industry is shite and I got disillusioned with it. I'm getting back into playing electric now after a few years off and just want to enjoy it and learn songs I enjoy.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Very tough to say (there's been plenty). Probably a Gibson Flying V with Bareknuckle Cold Sweats. It was black with a chrome pickguard used to blind audience members. Into a Mesa Mark IV.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Right now? Singularity by Devin Townsend. Ask me again tomorrow!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @HerbieTheRadDorklift ; Welcome Herbie! You'll find a few mentions in old threads wondering where you got to, I remember you from the sadly dead Petrucci forum too, of course. Nice to see you again! :sunglasses:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLM said:
    @HerbieTheRadDorklift ; Welcome Herbie! You'll find a few mentions in old threads wondering where you got to, I remember you from the sadly dead Petrucci forum too, of course. Nice to see you again! :sunglasses:
    Cheers! I don't really even know how forums work these days :lol: Is this some kind of Music Radar cast off forum?
  • Hello all,

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Who doesn’t love a bubble car? A bit bonkers, impractical but light hearted and fun! I also have Greek parentage, bubble and squeak = Greek

South Lincs deep in the fens

To gig again after all this is over

My K-Line Springfield, it was Chris’s first NAMM prototype 

Sultans of Swing

• craiglambcraiglamb Frets: 2
    edited November 2020

My name!

Edinburgh.

To play better than yesterday, enjoy it and not take it too seriously.

Dr Z Mini-Z

Just one  :# today it was Red House by Jimi but it’ll be different tomorrow. 

• TTony said:

Q1:  Where did you username come from?   My bass............MkII Ovation Magnum as per Jah Wobble

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?        Windsor, UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?        Keep enjoying playing

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?       Mgnum

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?     Anything by the Sisters of Mercy or Talk Talk

[edit]
    ChristophEar has created a Spotify playlist of all the #1 tracks
    Everyone's #1 tracks.

And I just "stickied" this for as long as we've got lots of new rejoiners arriving!

• Sorry, meant to say I am all bass NO guitars!!   Have several basses....................
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from? - Its my name

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? - Dudley, West Midlands. UK

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? - Just to improve on my guitar playing after a long lay off

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? - Gibson Les Paul

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? - For The Love of God - Steve Vai

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    DLM said:
    Cheers! I don't really even know how forums work these days :lol: Is this some kind of Music Radar cast off forum?
    @HerbieTheRadDorklift This forum software (Vanilla) works a bit differently to the vBulletin stuff, but you'll get the hang of it.

This is indeed a kind of MusicRadar successor. Emperor Fabulous from MusicRadar once set up a temporary forum to tide folk wanting to continue posting during a scheduled MusicRadar outage over. When MR was taken down by Future Publishing after a virus threat, folks looked to see if the Emperor's "lifeboat" was still afloat. That was a wondrous place, for it even had a dedicated subforum for cheese discussion. Anyway, from there plans were hatched to build a user-owned community for the posters from Future's lineage of music forums over the years, and these solidified into theFretboard after it became apparent that Future were not going to restore their forum service.

Here are some threads talking about the old times, and the characters that inhabited them:

(In the last one, only three names are mentioned in the OP by @jonnyburgo as examples, and you are the second! :) )

• DLM said:

How sweet! :D Haha. 
  • JeroJero Frets: 3
    Hi Everyone,

From My name.

I am in Birmingham UK - but I am originally from Brazil...been living in the UK since 2018.

Playing is my main hobby, and have a few ambitions: 1) get better at playing 2) be able to create some music someday / record at home and 3) learn to work with wood to expand my hobby into building guitars.

I am in love with a Two Notes Torpedo Reload - it is so good at allowing me to play my valve amp through my studio monitors with IRs that I think it's a necessity now at home no matter which amp I'm using. Feels so good and is very very convenient.

Can't do it. Impossible. Sorry lol

• Hi - I joined in 2017 but only just got round to posting here.

My son invented a gang of imaginary monsters when he was 3, and the Centregrove was where he said they lived. Quite scary as it was at the back of my 
    wardrobe - funny as we hadn't read him any Narnia books yet!

Cambridgeshire England

To be a much better jazz pianist

1962 SG Special is my goto guitar - into my 1959 Gibson GA8 amp

Faure's Requiem
  • Hi all lurker here finally deciding to post! Still at school and only just got into guitar so a big noob so far

Q1, username: My name is Ryan 18
    Q2, location: from the UK

Q3, musical ambition: Right now I'm just learning the basics on guitar learning at school and enjoying it so far!

Q4, best gear: At the minute I just use the schools guitar nothing special but started saving up recently for my own

Q5, #1 track: Classical Gas is the song that got me into guitar so I would say that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi, I'm Chris. I've been reading posts on here for a while so thought it was about time I joined...

Q1:  Where did your username come from?

I live in Barnet and I sell a few second hand pedals. And the odd amp.

Barnet (outskirts of London). I'm originally from Yorkshire.

To stop playing the same few riffs/solos that I've been knocking out (badly) since I got into Metallica and bought my first guitar in 1993. In other words, to develop the discipline to practice.

I've got a couple of 'proper' guitars (Les Paul, Strat) but my "best" bit of gear is actually a StewMac Les Paul kit guitar I 'built' myself. I might not save it first in a fire, but I'd pick it up to play before the others.

I'm not sure such a thing exists, but if I was forced to choose....probably Brighton Rock by Queen. My dad gave me some old tapes to record over in the early 80s and one of them was a recording of Sheer Heart Attack.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • provprov Frets: 9

contraction of my surname, I've no imagination.

IOM

To stop being fairly terrible.

my Tele

The Police: Bring on the night.

• Hello. Another lurker here, finally breaking cover. My name is Tony and I am a guitar addict.

Q1: My username comes from my business - I run a small film/TV post production business.

Q2: After 20 years in London, I now live by the sea in north Cornwall.

Q3: My primary musical ambition is to get back to the level I was as a (reasonably) promising guitar playing teenager after too long neglecting music in order to earn a crust...

Q4: My best bit of gear is a Gibson SG Gothic (it's beaten up and has the usual Gibson tuning issues but it means a lot to me).

Q5: This week, my #1 track ever is Achilles Last Stand.
  • Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Have used it on various forums since I was young and the interests became a 'thing'. It is ironic if course...

Leicestershire

To not suck.

Oh, and to collect every available bootleg of Bruce Springsteen's live performances!!!

My blonde Telecaster which is my no. 1.

Impossible to choose really. Thunder Road maybe...