Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best way to spend £1,000- £1,500

What's Hot
I have just been left some money by a close relative and in memory of her I want to spend the money on a guitar. I have been changing my mind regularly on whether to buy acoustic or electric, but as I play acoustic far more, I think that is where I would be best to put my money.

Acoustic wise at present I have a Breedlove Atlas AC-SR25 Plus and a Faith Neptune Trembesi. I would therefore want something different in looks and sound. The Breedlove has a very bright resonant tone where the Faith is darker and more mellow.

I will have ideally £1,000 to spend but may be able to push it by a few hundred for the right instrument. I realise that the only way to truly decide is to play a load (and I certainly don't want to buy blind) but I don't know where is best to put my money. It would need to have a pickup too.

Due to the sentimental value it will be a keeper so resale is not going to be an issue for me. 

I would value any advice on what guitars are good value for that money and what might be good that is different to the acoustics I already have. 

I love the look of a J45 but they are about double what I have to spend. What else is worth considering. I assume that as I don't have the money for "vintage" that buying new would give me the best array of choice rather than used. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    edited November 2020
    I've got a J45 style recommendation that has blown me away...

Guild DS 240 - a mere £449. It came tuned straight out of the box, and has rarely needed tuning since.

Background

Ive owned a lot of decent acoustics; Taylor 814ce, W65, 912, RRR, 614 ce 30th anniversary fall ltd, J45, Collins, Atkin The 43 (loved that one).

Then, I had to really reluctantly sell my Atkin to fund a business deal. My mate had a Guild DS240, and I played it and completely loved it. Amazingly, probably the best acoustic neck Ive played and it sounds like a £2000 guitar.

Ive just fitted a K&K Pure Mini and it sounds superb.

Not a high end, but def a keeper for life for me, due to its playability and low value.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would buy a nice 1940’s Kalamazoo KG-11 or KG-14... they’re vintage, Gibson USA made & different sonically to what you have. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Furch.  You would need to go second hand for the higher end of the range, or get one of the cheaper ones new.
  • I've got a J45 style recommendation that has blown me away...

Guild DS 240 - a mere £449. It came tuned straight out of the box, and has rarely needed tuning since.

Background

Ive owned a lot of decent acoustics; Taylor 814ce, W65, 912, RRR, 614 ce 30th anniversary fall ltd, J45, Collins, Atkin The 43 (loved that one).

Then, I had to really reluctantly sell my Atkin to fund a business deal. My mate had a Guild DS240, and I played it and completely loved it. Amazingly, probably the best acoustic neck Ive played and it sounds like a £2000 guitar.

Ive just fitted a K&K Pure Mini and it sounds superb.

Not a high end, but def a keeper for life for me, due to its playability and low value.

That looks nice. I don't usually like the Guild headstock shape but that one is lovely. Is it all solid wood or laminated back/sides?
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I would by old and cool. 

Yamaha FG-300 Or another FG but neck angles will start being a thing on others. 
    There’s a VERY nice FG-580 on Reverb
    Harmony H1260 Sovereign 

Kalamazoo KG-11, possibly but pushing it I think can’t get a 14 on your budget these days

Pre-War Harmony possibly 
    All great sub £1000 classics 

Newer but still cool
    Gibson J15 or J35
    Martin 15 series 

New I would consider a Gibson G-45. 

• Andy79 said:
    I would by old and cool. 

Yamaha FG-300 Or another FG but neck angles will start being a thing on others. 
    There’s a VERY nice FG-580 on Reverb
    Harmony H1260 Sovereign 

Kalamazoo KG-11, possibly but pushing it I think can’t get a 14 on your budget these days

Pre-War Harmony possibly 
    All great sub £1000 classics 

Newer but still cool
    Gibson J15 or J35
    Martin 15 series 

New I would consider a Gibson G-45. 

Love the look of the J15 in Walnut burst - I quite fancy sunburst for a change and think on the Gibsons they work really well. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Express music have a sunburst Martin DSS-17 in budget-ish
  • Andy79 said:
    Express music have a sunburst Martin DSS-17 in budget-ish
    That's very nice but I'd need a pickup and that would cost me too much in the end sadly
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    You might find a used Avalon for £1500
    That's a top-notch UK luthier-built Lowden-design instrument worth over £3k new
    some used Larrivees can be found under that, I'd prefer them out of the big brands for that budget

If you forget about buying first-world-made guitars, you will find some stuff that's good but it's harder to rely on brands, and resale values could be poor

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1568
  • Yamaha FS or FG red label reissue. You're in the 5 series made in Japan range with that budget but I have one one the 3 series Chinese made guitars and am blown away by the quality.
  • Peach are selling YamahaLL6's for £399. Lovely guitar and a jaw dropping price. The only drawback is that it does not have on board pre amp.

Take a look and see what you think?
  • Yes, agree with the Yamaha recommendation. The Japanese made FGX5 is within budget. These are classic guitars and very playable.
  • I’ll have a lovely Avalon A2-20 for sale soon :)
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited November 2020
    If you are looking for a sentimental / marker guitar, my view is that you are looking at it from the wrong angle. Regarding a pick up etc, you have a budget, get a guitar that, in this context, means something  to you, of the highest quality, brand etc that says something to you then, if it is a keeper, get a pick up in there down the line ( couple of hundred at worst from a decentt guitar tech). If I was you, and I, certainly I am not  , look at used listings with highest solid wood spec then decide. Good luck

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    My used J-35 for a grand was literally my best ever guitar purchase, we're inseparable. 

This is the day it arrived.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegill said:
    I’ll have a lovely Avalon A2-20 for sale soon :)
    Do let me know when you do and I'll certainly have a look
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    I forgot:
    have you heard of Frailers?

https://www.frailers.com/acoustic-guitars/

They (at least used to) import used guitars from the US , and often have great bargains