Teach yourself piano ideas?

What's Hot
I have a decent synth with full size keys which has been under the spare bed for years.
I've never got my head round playing piano and it's about time I did so any suggestions on teaching myself how would be fab. I tried Piano for Dummies a long time ago which was ok, I loaned it to someone and never got it back so don't know if it's worth trying it again or if there are much better books/apps/courses available.

Main problems: pretty poor at reading music, and my left hand technique is next to useless.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• greejngreejn Frets: 127
    I've got some free lessons on hubpages.com looking at piano for guitarists, might help...
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    greejn said:
    I've got some free lessons on hubpages.com looking at piano for guitarists, might help...
    You got a link?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I learned chords and I have great fun putting any old chord chart up and singing along bashing a song out. I'm a pub pianist! ('cept I don't go to pubs). Root note octaves with the left hand, 3 finger chords (mostly) with the right. I'd do a clip to show how well it works but I'm a sh*te singer and you kind of need the melody going on as well.
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Jon Green on spinditty or hubpages.com
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15477
    I've been thinking about this for a while now, so kinda glad this topic came up. I spent to morning watching these vids: Learn the Piano Book 1 | EASY | Beginners | Lesson 1 & 2/40 - YouTube

I used her beginners violin stuff for a while and found it good, the piano one looks good. The vids go along with a downloadable book. Goes as a fairly gentle, but challenging, pace. Doesn't seem to rush into stuff, and has free videos to go along with the program. I might pick up a beginners keyboard and have a pop.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    I’m finally learning piano and how to read music with SimplyPiano. Furthermore, it’s got my children learning too. 100€ for a year and it is working. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

Although I wish I had lessons because my techniques is poor I actually found learning how to play the piano pretty easy because it made perfect sense musically. Generally the left hand breaks a chord into arpeggio's and plays a pattern and the right hand plays a melody at the same time, sometimes chipping in to extent the length of an arpeggio using the sustain pedal. So I just practiced playing common chord arpeggio's with the left hand until I could do them without thinking about it and then started adding the melody with the right hand. It's so much easier to do this on a piano than it is on the guitar.  

So I think learning the correct finger placement is really important and having a solid understanding of how to make arpeggio's in every key by knowing the scale intervals is important too. This is a good example of what I like, this person has a great left hand 

2 piano bargain bits of software are Mainstage 3 for Mac and Mini Grand for PC and Mac ... both less than £30 and both sound great, really good pianos 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Oh I like a bit of Chi Mai alright. Some good ideas here, thanks for the input guys.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I took 6 months of lessons and then just played every day.
  • Most guitar players I know can also play Piano because there fingers on both hands can play differently.
    at the same time.