Don't you just hate losing stuff around the house ....

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
So, still trying to get my strat right in terms of bridge pickup. I decided to fit one that I bought recently but haven't tried. I was all psyched up for it but ... the bloody thing has disappeared off the face of the earth!!! Can't find it anywhere. There are limited places that I keep stuff like that but it is nowhere to be seen. I started getting really angry and swearing at it under my breath, I even threatened to damage something if it didn't show up (embarrassed to say this is actually true). Normally I threaten to damage the thing I'm looking for if it doesn't show up, but as well as being counterproductive (eg why would it come out of hiding), one can't go damaging an expensive component. I therefore told him that one of my metal drawers would be inflicted with a screwdriver-induced scar if he didn't appear. 

I'm just going back to see if he's turned up ......

er .... do I need professional help?

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Happens to me all the time. I put something down and seconds later have no recollection where it is. I’ve been like this forever, so not a sign of anything! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Your lucky I go into a room then can’t remember why i’am here.  =)
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    axisus said:
    So, still trying to get my strat right in terms of bridge pickup. I decided to fit one that I bought recently but haven't tried. I was all psyched up for it but ... the bloody thing has disappeared off the face of the earth!!! Can't find it anywhere. There are limited places that I keep stuff like that but it is nowhere to be seen. I started getting really angry and swearing at it under my breath, I even threatened to damage something if it didn't show up (embarrassed to say this is actually true). Normally I threaten to damage the thing I'm looking for if it doesn't show up, but as well as being counterproductive (eg why would it come out of hiding), one can't go damaging an expensive component. I therefore told him that one of my metal drawers would be inflicted with a screwdriver-induced scar if he didn't appear. 

I'm just going back to see if he's turned up ......

er .... do I need professional help?

the trick is to give up and buy another. You will then find the original approx two day after the replacement arrives
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Sounds like fate has intervened.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Worst thing is on the stairs.  Our Maud asks me a question, and then I can't remember if I was going up or down.  :'(

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18374
    edited November 2020
    Tell me about it.
    I was sending some Tele saddles to a fellow tFB member, but I couldn't find them. Not in all my usual organised 'guitar stuff' boxes, so almost took the house apart but no joy, bloody infuriating.
    Gave up, then a week later I dropped some loose change & raking about under the furniture to recover it, I found them! Yay!!!
    Packaged them up & sent them off, feeling really warm & smug. Then it seems that the post office have only gone & lost them.
     Life, are you having a laugh?  p

Update: it arrived!  Post Office only took 7 days to send a first class letter from Durham to London  :#
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1563
    Paging Marie Kondo, Marie Kondo to thread /1994996/ please..
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    I've lost count of the things I've bought, put down somewhere, then lost and had to buy another.  When we move, I'm going to find a mountain of bits, no doubt.  The most frustrating though is the wife's wedding ring.  She lost that years ago and it annoys the hell out of me that right now, somewhere, it's there.  Sitting there, waiting to be discovered.  As I'm typing this, it's there....  I just have no clue where 'there' is.....  but it's there.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    edited November 2020
    Are you married? I generally find anything of mine which has mysteriously disappeared has been thrown away by missus Munckee including a load of pickguards I had spare once. 

If it’s money then all three of my housemates (her or two kids) have sticky fingers.  
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Slightly different experience but my studio floor is scaffold boards with a shadow gap between.

In places the shadow gap is wider than it would ideally be and in the spring I dropped a ferrule out the back of my telecaster on to the floor. Somehow is fell silently onto a wooden floor and disappeared.

I spent hours looking for that flipping thing, running a pencil through the grooves with a torch, still haven't found it. I've even tried dropping spare ferrules onto the floor to see what happens and every time they roll across the floor and the sound makes it obvious where they are. Without fail.

In the summer I dropped my solder sucker on the same floor. It was primed and activated on impact. The push end is an aluminium button with a thread, and this flew off on impact. I heard a knock as it hit something under my desk and searched under there. For hours. 

Eventually I did find it. It had somehow managed to find it's way - again silently - into a seemingly impossible location behind a computer in the corner of the room and landed between the floor grooves. I have tried to work out how it got there from where it fell, past seven metal and wooden obstacles, but it's beyond me. 

In the autumn I spent a day filling the gaps with offcuts of foam. Have lost nothing since.  ;)
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    In the car?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    Your lucky I go into a room then can’t remember why i’am here.  =)
    Big bang and evolution Is a popular theory.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I once emptied out the entire contents of my college dorm room including bed, the lot! Into the hallway because I had lost the keys to lock up and was rushing to get out on the town for a lash up with the lads. I found the keys, hanging in the first place I probably should have looked..... in the door! I may have been a little stoned though.

I have also been stupid enough to get angry at not being able to find something I’m sure I had only just put down only to realise I’m still holding it!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    edited November 2020
    I've looked for my reading glasses and found them on my face.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Dropping screws onto the floor is a constant source of pain for me as the screws in a lot of stuff I fix like iPhones are very tiny. I don't even bother searching by eye anymore, I have a metal ruler covered in neodymium magnets and I sweep that across the carpet to retrieve them. 
    I once waited a week for a capacitor to turn up, got distracted by the phone while opening the package and threw the package and the capacitor away. Did the same thing with an LCD cable that I had to get from the USA too :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Found the little bastard .....
    axisus said:
    Where????!!!!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I remember searching high and low for my yo-yo once. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    viz said:
    I remember searching high and low for my yo-yo once. 
    Life has its ups and downs.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
    viz said:
    axisus said:
    Where????!!!!
    Yeah.. WHERE ?????  You can't leave us hanging.  This is like all those infuriating threads you find when searching for the solution to a problem you're having with your computer and you find someone else has the exact same issue and has a thread going asking for help and they come back a few days later with "Thanks guys, but I've sorted it now." - with [gritted teeth] no explanation of the solution [/gritted teeth].
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.