Edit: tele Jr type build. Kit route or nay?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
edited November 2020 in Making & Modding
Howdee all, looking down the line at the list of things I'd *like* to do, I have been thinking of a an SG Jr type guitar, but with a TOM and stoptail and HB size P90.

Potentially, for the money I'd pay to get someone to help put it together etc, I might be able to get something off the shelf, (used Gordon Smith if it popped up), I was looking to go for the minimal look, potentially no pickguard.

I could get the body specs from the likes of Precision Guitar Kits in the USA, but if there were options this side of the pond....

Would go for a thin finish.

I would not buy the neck off a kit website. Last time I did that, it needed a whole lot of work, refrets etc...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Just buy a pre-owned doublecut GS-1 and upgrade the pickup and electronics.
    Be seeing you.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    @GSPBASSES still has one of the LPJ DC on this thread available I believe, if that was of interest instead?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/187180/gsp-sale-now-with-lpjs-and-a-sp6#latest

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a precision kit still waiting to be done although it's moved a bit closer in the next couple of weeks just experimenting trying to get a Gibson TV Gold finish I saw on a SG from peach. Its mostly been held up due to lack of time and finish indecision as I kept ending up back at Cherry LOL

A big thumbs up for precision stuff. I finally brought it out to Spain this year with the view I have supposedly way more time now and that has to be pretty seasoned wood they use as most of the guitar build bodies I bought over to practice spraying on have shrunk this year due to the low humidity but the Precision neck joint is still spot-on as I tried a dry fit ahead of putting it together.

I was going to the states a couple of times a year for work back in 2015 and used to bring them back in my suitcase they were happy to deliver to a US friends place. I think if you get stuck into shipping duty Vat etc they are going to get a bit pricey. 

There are some Asian SG kits out there but have no experience. 

Personally, if there is one of GSP's Juniors still for sale I would snap that up I have had a couple from Graham great guitars and way better by a country mile than the average Ebay kit.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jez6345789 I am in Spain at the moment but had panned on getting anything sent to Ireland. Never took into account shrinking wood ! I’ll have a look at your recommendation on other thread
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    +1 @GSPBASSES ; Excellent builds.
  • Would/could @GSPBASSES do an SG body with a hardtail bridge...
  • @Creed_Clicks, to be honest, the microclimate here is bizarre 200m from the sea and the humidity is like 40% yeah it goes up and down odd days it hits 35% all great for my arthritis hence main reason for spending time here but the swing is crazy 70-80% when its high but then low as 35-40 at some point during the day. 

I would not worry too much about shrinkage I have not seen problems with other guitars just some old bodies I have I was practising spraying on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Jez6345789 I’m in Granada. Could do with a good dose of rain here !
  • Been thinking now of going back to an idea I had a year or so ago, a bolt on neck jr type guitar. A tele body, and not sure how set up would be with a bolt on neck. e.g. would a hardtail or wraparound bridge work with the angle of the neck on body, or would it be best to go with a regular tele hardtail bridge, soap bar p90 rather than a dog ear, which does look kind of cool in a tele body too I think.
    Or just a single coil size tele p90 in the ashtray bridge....
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Hmm. Two different animals.

Telecaster with P90(s) should be easier to screw together and set up.

Glued-together mahogany object with stud-mounted bridge/tailpiece and shorter scale length delivers the sound and string tension feel. (Even the PRS 25” scale changes things noticeably.)
    Be seeing you.
  • I had an LP Junior kit earlier this year. For whatever reason I could never get used to the wraparound like it felt it was in the way of my palm.
    I am thinking the SG Junior might be different but fear I might be wrong hence me thinking of a bolt on now.
    after some research I’ve scrapped the idea of a wraparound on a tele style.
    Those LP and SG juniors sound so good though....