Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best way to spend £1,000- £1,500

What's Hot

Comments

• I do really like the look of those. The downside to buying used is finding something within reasonable distance of me (Lincoln) and having the option to try before I buy in case it doesn't gel.

The real advantage to buying new is being able to (when they are open) go round shops and try a lot, but then you get more for your money used. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebear said:
    If you are looking for a sentimental / marker guitar, my view is that you are looking at it from the wrong angle. Regarding a pick up etc, you have a budget, get a guitar that, in this context, means something  to you, of the highest quality, brand etc that says something to you then, if it is a keeper, get a pick up in there down the line ( couple of hundred at worst from a decentt guitar tech). If I was you, and I, certainly I am not  , look at used listings with highest solid wood spec then decide. Good luck

That is a very good point - worth me being a bit ore flexible in what I look for
  • I forgot:
    have you heard of Frailers?

https://www.frailers.com/acoustic-guitars/

They (at least used to) import used guitars from the US , and often have great bargains
    I haven't but will have a look - thanks
  • I do really like the look of those. The downside to buying used is finding something within reasonable distance of me (Lincoln) and having the option to try before I buy in case it doesn't gel.

The real advantage to buying new is being able to (when they are open) go round shops and try a lot, but then you get more for your money used. 
    Yes I think that's always the case. I have put a few friends onto them and some have bought with out trying them and they absolutely love them if it's worth knowing. If you can wait until lockdown relaxes my best advice would be to go to Frailers in Runcorn (2hr 30mins) if you drive as they have a vast collection which you could try and just go with what your heart tells you to buy :P Good luck!
  • I forgot:

They (at least used to) import used guitars from the US , and often have great bargains
    Ahhhh what @ToneControl said  =)

Yes I think that's always the case. I have put a few friends onto them and some have bought with out trying them and they absolutely love them if it's worth knowing. If you can wait until lockdown relaxes my best advice would be to go to Frailers in Runcorn (2hr 30mins) if you drive as they have a vast collection which you could try and just go with what your heart tells you to buy :P Good luck!
    Thanks for that - Runcorn is very near my Parents in Cheshire so next time I'm allowed there would be worth a visit
  • p90fool said:
    My used J-35 for a grand was literally my best ever guitar purchase, we're inseparable.
    I'd also recommend going for a SH J-35.

Great guitars.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 730
    tFB Trader
    Eastman are worth a look - you'll get a lot of guitar for your money for that budget. 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    I forgot:

I haven't but will have a look - thanks
    Frank who owns the store is in his 70s. No massive budget to keep the store running, which is good. He used to go the US every year and buy loads of acoustics. Recently, it's not been possible to easily import rosewood, he told me he was "down about 70 guitars a year" I think early last year. Hopefully that might change now CITEs has been relaxed

It's a lovely old shop, with so many nice guitars, you can park on the road within 100m
    I've seen a guy go in there, and tell him he'd just come up from London on the train to "buy a Martin", which he was quickly able to do.

Best of luck
    I do really like the look of those. The downside to buying used is finding something within reasonable distance of me (Lincoln) and having the option to try before I buy in case it doesn't gel.

Thanks for that - Runcorn is very near my Parents in Cheshire so next time I'm allowed there would be worth a visit
    whereabouts are your parents living?

whereabouts are your parents living?
    They are in Chester so only 20 mins away
  • BobHBobH Frets: 4
    Buy what you love and really desire. What makes your heart beat faster when you listen to it and see it. Quality is all! :-)

• I forgot:

The fella in there is a miserable sod. I'd try Ideal Sounds just up the road from Frailers. Karl,the owner,is a sound fella and has some real bargains in there. He's also an excellent Luthier and has done some good stuff for me and comes highly recommended from my own guitar teacher.
  • cmacguitarcmacguitar Frets: 23
    edited November 2020
    I forgot:

The fella in there is a miserable sod. I'd try Ideal Sounds just up the road from Frailers. Karl,the owner,is a sound fella and has some real bargains in there. He's also an excellent Luthier and has done some good stuff for me and comes highly recommended from my own guitar teacher.
    He's been helpful when ever I've been in. He does like to chat a lot but I've never had an issue with him. I would still recommend going to Frailers when you are able to.
    I forgot:

He's been helpful when ever I've been in. He does like to chat a lot but I've never had an issue with him. I would still recommend going to Frailers when you are able to.
    Whether someone gets on with him or not (I found him fine), I can't think of anywhere in the UK with so many second hand pro acoustic guitars
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    BobH said:
    Buy what you love and really desire.
    This. You can get a used J-45 for under £1500.

You’ll know already that Gibsons are quite variable so you may not want to buy the first one you see, but they’re not rare.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I forgot:

Can he do repairs on acoustics?
  • I forgot:

Whether someone gets on with him or not (I found him fine), I can't think of anywhere in the UK with so many second hand pro acoustic guitars
    I'm going to my local shop on Saturday to see what they have and see if I come away with anything. If not, I'll have to wait my time and try and get to Frailers one day.
  • Off today to our local shop today to see what they have and try a few. I know they have  Taylor 710e for a good price so very interested in trying that. Will have to see if I end up coming away with anything!
  • MolemanMoleman Frets: 133
    If we’re talking new acoustics then how about a Yamaha FG5 Red Label? Made in Japan quality that will last a lifetime.