Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Does anyone remember this article/feature from Guitarist magazine (late 90s/early 00s)?

What's Hot

Comments

• horsehorse Frets: 1568
    It sounds like some kind of chameleon shape-shifting mythical beast
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember this. I bought my first issue of Guitarist in I think July 1997 (Jackson Roswell Rhoads on the cover, Joe Perry and Nuno interviews inside) so it was not before that.

Dominic Hilton is the name I remember too.

I didn't read every months and only saw one of the installments I think. I'm pretty sure it said it would be a purple metal flake finish. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 545454545454 Frets: 184
    That's weird, I was thinking about that article recently and had a look through my old mags but couldn't find it. Don't think I ever saw the finished guitar, but am also fairly certain it was Dominic Hilton. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    You guys aren`t old enough! :-)

I think I bought my first copy in 1987 or so, aged 14.......... the only place to find gear info and rock lessons! I loved the Phil Hilbourne stuff, but the bits that were most useful were the Nick Bowcott `in the style of`. 20 or 30 licks in the style of a player, but not an exact copy, and for copyright reasons they didn`t tell you which songs the inspiration came from, so you had to actually listen to the original artist and work it out. And of course no audio to go along with it with the mag!

I still firmly believe that this helped players develop their own style much better than the instant access to note for note stuff we have today. Maybe I`m just old!

No idea on the double cut I`m afraid.........
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    StefB said:
    Wasn’t it a Jazzmaster body with HSH pickups and a large, reverse headstock?
    i sure it was a reverse jag/jazz body.... but full size, unlike the supersonic which is downsized and reshaped a bit

I'm pretty sure it said it would be a purple metal flake finish. 
    this is what i remember...   It was another way the supersonic was similar with its blue flake
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Anyone got a contact for Dom Hilton? Can't dig up anything online. Originally saw someone on Offset Guitars asking about it and I'd love to find it for him. 
    It's now like a song in your head that you can't name. I have to find the answer! 
    I remember this. I bought my first issue of Guitarist in I think July 1997 (Jackson Roswell Rhoads on the cover, Joe Perry and Nuno interviews inside) so it was not before that.

I didn't read every months and only saw one of the installments I think. I'm pretty sure it said it would be a purple metal flake finish. 
    Bloody hell, I remember the issue with the Jackson RR on the cover. That was July 1997?!
    Seems like this guy wrote a lot of educational material around 2000 then dropped off the face of the earth: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=stripbooks&rh=p_27:Dominic+Hilton&s=relevancerank&text=Dominic+Hilton&ref=dp_byline_sr_book_1
    I'm intrigued to see if any of it is how I remember 
  • Loobs said:
    I remember this. I bought my first issue of Guitarist in I think July 1997 (Jackson Roswell Rhoads on the cover, Joe Perry and Nuno interviews inside) so it was not before that.

Bloody hell, I remember the issue with the Jackson RR on the cover. That was July 1997?!
    Or June, yeah. Aerosmith had just released Nine Lives and Nuno put out Schizophonic.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    Loobs said:
    It's now like a song in your head that you can't name. I have to find the answer! 
    It's become like that thread last week about the woman playing guitar with Cathy Dennis on TOTP.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    June 1997 is when the supersonic was reviewed

• Philly_Q said:

I remember it, and I will definitely have the mag somewhere, but not much chance of finding it. 

My house looks a bit like this (only with a lot of guitar cases and empty guitar boxes as well):

Ask the Appraisers Hoarding can be deadly  Ask The Appraisers   arcadianewscom

Philly_Q said:
    Loobs said:
    It's become like that thread last week about the woman playing guitar with Cathy Dennis on TOTP.
    That turned into a debate about veterinary ethics so unless it turns out that building that guitar involved castrating a donkey we are probably okay. 

When I worked in Dudley social services I had to cover duty for another team for a day and ended up visiting this guy who was a hoarder. Quite financially well off man who had lived with his mother all his life and when she died he became depressed and largely gave up caring about anything. His house was full of junk, he would piss on the floor, he would threaten the carers that went in to see him, hardly ate and would get drunk. He had been an engineer and had a workshop out the back of his house with top notch equipment and he kept all of that pristine, he would visit his neighbours and do odd jobs and was very IT literate and would help them sort out internet problems. Very odd man. In the middle of all the junk were two what I think were USA strats, for a brief moment I wondered if he could possibly notice if they went off with me - although should I have been successful in stealing off this man with obvious mental health issues I feel I would have needed to have spent a long time cleaning them. 
    In my defence it was only a passing thought but when you are spending your day in stinky houses you do start wondering 'what am I getting out of this.' I think the moral of this @Philly_Q is the clutter with the magazines and the guitars is okay but when you start pissing on the floor maybe get some help. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:

I think it's definitely later than this. I wasn't buying it at this point.
    Loobs said:

Or June, yeah. Aerosmith had just released Nine Lives and Nuno put out Schizophonic.
    April 1997
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Guitarist-Magazine-CD-April-1997/153837345602?hash=item23d16b9b42:g:AaoAAOSwoDVeTAbV
    I think the moral of this @Philly_Q is the clutter with the magazines and the guitars is okay but when you start pissing on the floor maybe get some help.    

Noted.  I'm not there yet.  ;)
    edited December 2020
    Loobs said:
    WezV said:

I bought a Squier Super-Sonic, just like that one.  Blimey, 23 years ago.

What the hell was that Gary Moore story about?  I don't remember him doing a pop album.  Hard to imagine Guitarist putting "blues is dead" on the cover nowadays, half the readership would drop down dead.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Loobs said:
    WezV said:

I bought a Squier Super-Sonic, just like that one.  Blimey, 23 years ago.

same here, but i think it was when they were selling them off cheap later in 1998