Deep Mind 12 D and Squarp Pyramid inbound.....

What's Hot
paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
edited December 2020 in Other Instruments
the former as I have no fully analogue synths - and the control sequencer sold this over a Rev 2 (and its a Juno clone which will work in my 80s projects better Im guessing).

The latter ..... look VERY powerful.  Will take a while to get my head round it but should allow me to sequence my Fandoms drums in a similar way to TRs8 capabilities - and allow sequencing of all my synths in a very open way.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    That Squarp thing looks clever. Too clever for me - I await Roland remembering the MV8000 and doing it with modern tech. The MC-707 is almost there, but just 8 tracks and no audio from disk! :(

Meanwhile, now that there's enough £££ in my gear-slush-fund, I find that the Dreadbox Typhon is out of stock everywhere. :(
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    I'm abusing a QY700 sequencer with its amazingly awful '90s manual. Tight sequencer, with poor '90s layout!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    That QY700 is a proper, proper thing. Had one and loved it. The early AWM sounds date it badly (without a LOT of editing), but once you get your head around Yamaha's WTF interface ideas, it's brilliant.

Sort of miss mine (although I have few external synths to drive these days).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    Thankfully, I have plenty of hardware synths and so my QY is mainly used for sequencing those. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• This Pyramid is fabulous.....

Not scratched the surface, but a couple of hours noodling.  Put individual drums across 5 tracks, just one pattern (each can hold 32).  Then a bass line from Peak, a pad from fantom - with a sequenced filter sweep from Pyramid via Midi cc, and arp from Virus and a melody from Deep Mind.

I lost about 2 hours just running them and dropping them in and out..... changing the drums by just dropping the kick or snare etc.

Recording is a breeze, in live or step.  Ive not sequenced anything static yet lol.... but there are so many options and so many ways to work.

Using the drum sounds from Fantom (OK not ACB that TR8s has) I can do most of what Tr8s does....   TRs gives 11 tracks you can individually bring in out etc.  Pyramid you could have 64 if you wanted....    TR8 has 8 variations - pyramid offers 32....   The only thing I cant do (that Ive found yet) is to link the patterns - so I can change all the drum patterns with a single button press....  OK I can just do complete drum tracks and its not a problem - and I have 32, but couldnt bring individual drums in/out then.

Its possible to do that in sequence mode of course (linking them or manually sequencing them) - but it would be need to link several tracks so one "pattern" change changes them all - from a live performance POV.

• stonevibe said:
    Thankfully, I have plenty of hardware synths and so my QY is mainly used for sequencing those. 
    No such thing as "plenty of hardware synths" - only "lack of space for more hardware synths".

• Hum.   Not sure if Deep Mind is a keeper or not.

Sounds good - but the single Osc (no Saw n the 2nd) is more limiting that I thought it would be.  OM I can use the square as a second rather than a sub, or I can use 2 voices in unison (which takes it down to 6 voice poly - but then a P65/IOB6 are also 6 voice). 

Thing is, neither are that flexible.   using the square doenst sound the same (obviously) and means s I cant add a sub.  Using unison and I cant change the volume balance between the saws.

The reason for the choice was the control sequencer.   Gives me options the DSi/Sequential synths dont BUT with the Pyramid I can do a lot of that - though not being on board the synth limits a little.  Im also looking at a Dreadbox Python as a Mono and VCO synth (neither of which I have) and much of what Id want the control seq for I can do on that.

Seriously considering sending the DM back or a REV 2....

That wasnt initially in consideration (the OB6/P6 were) as its fairly similar top my peak (OK it is different but not massively). Cant afford the OB6/P6 as I bought the pyramid (and probably python once in stock) at the same time. I could keep the DM for a while and sell it on (at a loss obviously but not much relatively given the price point) down the line when I CAN afford an OB6/P6.   Only have a coupe of days to decide really.