Some advice on breathing techniques to use during early infection with CV

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9898
edited April 2020 in Coronavirus

Looks very convincing to me, any experts on here can validate / refute this video

Related document: https://www.acprc.org.uk/Data/Publication_Downloads/GL-05ACBT.pdf ;
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3669
    Can confirm that's (a) a method physios have been taught, (b) prone lying is being used on covid wards according to what my colleague who works at that hospital mentioned the other day, (c) I recognise (as much as I can recognise anyone) the woman in the video from Queen's Hospital. 

No expertise to comment whether or not doing this is useful during early infection with Covid-19.  I mean, it won't hurt, and it's plausible, but I've no idea whether it's effective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Wouldn't diaphragmatic breathing be a similar sort of thing?

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wouldn't diaphragmatic breathing be a similar sort of thing?
    Um, ish.  But you can do "diaphragmatic" breathing without much thoracic expansion and iirc the method shown, with the deep breaths with relaxed chest and shoulders, plus breath holds, works better for ventilation.  I think that's the idea of prone lying too. #notarespiratioryphysio
  • Right ok.

Bye!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 21577
    Thanks @ToneControl ; @Grunfeld ;

Co-incidentally, I already use the  breathing control as a form of relaxation.  Breathe in over* 5 secs.  Hold for 5 secs.  Breathe out over 5 secs.  Repeat, repeat, repeat .... ad infinitum.

I found it really useful to divert my brain when undergoing painful surgeries!

*over, not "for" 5 secs.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 681
    Buteyko breathing could be utilised too .... great for asthmatics ...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 58035
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for posting this, it’s worth keeping in mind for if the worst happens and you have to survive a bad case on your own.

Should this be made a ‘sticky’?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• hywelghywelg Frets: 3730
    ICBM said:
    Thanks for posting this, it’s worth keeping in mind for if the worst happens and you have to survive a bad case on your own.

Should this be made a ‘sticky’?
    Yes @digitalscream ;
    edited April 2020
    west said:
    Buteyko breathing could be utilised too .... great for asthmatics ...
    @west -- (1) Buteyko breathing would not be indicated for a patient with Covid-19.   (2) Buteyko breathing might be useful as an adjunct in mild asthma.  (3) Buteyko breathing has acquired the hallmarks of pseudoscience -- specifically in the way its proponents ignore scientific evidence which refutes most of the claimed benefits of the technique other than for mild asthma.

In other times I probably wouldn't post something like this because your beliefs are your own business and no disrespect intended, but I think with the seriousness of the Covid-19 situation it's especially important to distinguish science from pseudoscience.  There's an accessible science-based review of the evidence around Buteyko breathing here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 23906
    Stickied.
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 853
    Where’s the video? It’s just a picture. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 30939
    The OP edited the post which fucks the video component of the original post.
    It is a forum bug.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 21577
    @ToneControl edited his original post, which breaks the link to the video.  He needs to repost the link ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    @ToneControl edited his original post, which breaks the link to the video.  He needs to repost the link ...

Here you go:

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 12706
    My sister now self isolating with what sounds like mild Corona ( although with 40 years of panic attacks and hypochondria behind her I slightly suspect it isn’t but she’s many miles away so who knows). I sent her the video link and she’s doing the exercises. Maybe a hint of placebo and the feeling of doing something is better than doing nothing but she’s positive about them. Cheers :smile: 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 4817
    edited April 2020

Looks very convincing to me, any experts on here can validate / refute this video

Related document: https://www.acprc.org.uk/Data/Publication_Downloads/GL-05ACBT.pdf ;
    Yep. It's essentially like doing a cough assist and both the people in the video are legitimate and who they say they are. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 12706
    MrsTheWeary asked how my sister was doing and I said I’d sent her a video link of breathing techniques and she described everything in that video from her time working in hospitals  20+ years ago. So, nothing new but a bit of verification for what it’s worth.
    I did them yesterday and definitely needed the lie down bit at the end. 
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 362
    Look at the Wim Hof method for general breathing n health benefits - not pseudoscience - well researched .  Disclaimer - I use this and only interested in methods that have been medically / scientifically proven ..
     https://www.wimhofmethod.com/practice-the-method

Nasal breathing also promotes better O2 transport and aspects of improved lung dilation.

https://oxygenadvantage.com 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 9559
    edited December 2020
    Edit. Wrong thread
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Not read the whole thread but I suffered badly with breathing during my covid infection. 
    I had an oximeter to monitor my O2 level which dropped as low as 89% at its worst.
    I found that doing deep breathing exercises I could actually watch my O2 level rise. I swear this helped my recovery and stopped me spiralling into a much worse condition