Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What are your project plans for 2021?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
edited January 2021 in Making & Modding
Project number 1 I've yet to finish my 5 string bass, so that will be continuing next year. It is playable at the moment but need finishing plus I think I'm gonna shave the neck down a bit more. The garage is just too wet and drafty at this time of year so it's been on hold since the end of October.

Project number 2 is a fairly basic 7 string hardtail with one pickup, I may do a painting on the front.

Project number 3 is a very 'rustic' guitar. It feels like a Tele would fit the bill best but I have made two Tele's already so I may go for something else. My Tele's both have Bigsbys so I'd like a guitar with a different sort of trem. Plenty of thinking to do on this one.

What will you guys be up to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    1. When the weather picks up to paint the Coronet which should be complete this year
    2. A carved top Les Paul Double cut in cherry sunburst, with two humbuckers and a Bigsby
    3. Repaint my Les Paul SC which is now partially stripped because I think I could do it better.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7669

I want to return to pedal building in 2021. I've got a few things to finish, including my 8 fuzzes in one enclosure project, and I want to spend a bit of time settling on a process for painting enclosures which looks a bit more to my liking.

Once I've got those out of the way I want to see if I can come up with something of my own and maybe make a limited run of 10 or so if there's any interest. I'm not going to be learning how to program any time soon, so it will be analogue-based whatever happens.

I've got a few ideas I want to try so it should be fun seeing how many chips and transistors I can blow up (one LM386 and one 2N5089 so far :) ).
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    FINALLY get into the queue of jobs

LP Lemon burst - wiring, switch and pickups
    Parts Tele - finish hardware & assembly
    GSP set neck - stain, nitro, hardware and wiring (it is grainfilled ;) )
    ES125 - lot of cleaning, touch up & TLC

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Finish and assemble the PRS Custom 22 style Graham's building for me.

Strip a Saga LP kit I built 12 years ago, refinish it and replace pretty much all the hardware.

Try and get the electronics to work in my PRS SE Angelus; I think the piezo needs replacing. 

Possibly replace the stock pickups in my Ibanez GSA60.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4941
    I plan to get a tech to level and crown the frets on my Epi LP and fit an Earvana shelf nut.

I have avoided using pedals most times but lately I have used a Reverb pedal and a Drive pedal.  Not always together, so next year I plan on building a small pedal board.  Most likely battery powered, I am open to suggestions on how to build it.  A factory built job or one made from wood?

And to get a case for the above mentioned LP.

And finally, to upgrade some components in my Stinger SE guitar combo amp.  Thanks due to our own tech guru @ICBM for his help on this project.

Other than that, I hope to figure out how to play something on the guitar.  God knows I have spent long enough trying, so by now, I ought to be able to play something on the guitar apart from tuning it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    1) Set up the new workshop after the house move
    2) Set up a new home studio
    3) Strip and fully restore my beloved Fobco Star pillar drill
    4) Build a few carved top guitars - PRS and Gibson inspired but not copies
    5) Fretless Bass build for my mate who just had a heart attack and nearly left us. 
    6) Build an arch top ( or try at least, to learn some new techniques) 
    7) Build some brewing equipment and make some beer. 
    8) Grow a lot of chillies
    9) Have a rest and drink the beer and eat curry. 
    10) Reflect on why I didn't get all the projects done, and plan some more...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    My plan for 2021 is to complete some of the projects that I failed to complete in 2020.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    1. Make another headless guitar, but one which hangs from the strap like a Telecaster, and has Telecaster pickups.
    2. Update the Klein with new side dots and different wiring, and tidy up the end of the neck now that I’ve settled on a head piece.
    3. Build a bigger pedal board to accommodate the Digitech Drop and necessary power and signal cables.
    4. Replace my low level workbench to the same design as the high level bench so that I can saw and hammer without the bench moving.
    5. Get some pallets and renew the garden compost bins.
    6. Re-programme my MFC101 midi pedal, and update our lighting rig.

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • A Tweed Princeton has been on my to-do list for far too long.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    To start building again... I have a couple I started in like March but then stopped again..

From these bits
    https://i.imgur.com/NfWtvU9.jpg
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 420
    Looking to get around to painting this and putting it together, got the vast majority of the parts but can't get motivated to do it until gigging is back on the horizon:

• JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Mine’s pretty modest.  Converting my old Harley Benson 335 into a 12-string, as already discussed in another thread.  I had hoped to start before Christmas, and I now have most of the parts, but they key items are the banjo tuners, which (hopefully) are coming from China, so it probably will be a 2021 project.  The one bit, tiny but vital, that I haven’t thought through yet, is the nut.  It will have to be a new one, but do I by a blank and cut it myself, or take a chance on a ready-made one?  I’m not really keen to invest in tools I may never use again.
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Oops!  Just checked on the package on the hall floor in quarantine - it’s the banjo tuners.  My mistake.  Seems I’m waiting on the bridge and stopbar that is supposed to be coming from London.  Ah well, one day my prints will come.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 335 build, if I can! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    335 build, if I can! 
    You definitely can ! 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    My plan for 2021 is to complete some of the projects that I failed to complete in 2020.
    The same. But, err, from 2018.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    I've been planning my carved top guitar for about 15 years! I've had a few false starts and cock-ups but I think I've finally got everything together to finally pull it off. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    I've been planning my carved top guitar for about 15 years! I've had a few false starts and cock-ups but I think I've finally got everything together to finally pull it off. 
    Bloody hell I thought I was slow
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1324
    Hoping to finish my carved top LP build in January. After that, who knows!
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    Workshop makeover in January with a bigger spray booth then get building 

List of planned builds next are

One off custom made Les Paul using English flamed walnut with very flamed maple cap and laminated english flamed walnut and maple 
    Firebird 1
    DC and SC Junior comissions
    I want to make a modern custom if I get time
    My evo2 telepaul build comission
    Got quite a few carved top comission builds next year
    I want an all limba special type build with humbuckers, finished like the old Vs
    Hopefully I'll explore some es 335 type ideas
    I need a home for a set of mojotrons too
    I want a different smaller set neck offset type based on a jazzmaster format

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom