Victory Sheriff vs Marshall Studio Vintage

What's Hot
FlotsamFlotsam Frets: 53
Hello, excellent people of TFB. I'm new on here, after some time as a lurker, and I'd appreciate some advice on amp choice.

My dark and angry moods are well covered by a Mesa Studio preamp, a Victory V30mkII and a PRS MT15 (absolutely incredible amp for the money) but I need something for more fun and joyful moments, when I attempt to channel my inner Kossoff, Page and Young. So, I'm after superlead classic rock crunchiness here and no need for any sort of modern versatility, really. It's for home use and hopefully gigs again one day... I live in a detached place far enough from neighbours with a very tolerant wife, so volume is not a problem. I'm not much of a pedal or effects guy and I wouldn't want to use much more than an occasional splash of reverb in the loop, with all the gain and tone coming from the amp, really - maybe a bit of boost or fuzz up front now and then. I've narrowed it down to the Victory Sheriff models (22 or 44) and the Marshall Studio vintage (20w mini 1959SLP). Has anyone on here owned and/or played both? Does anyone have any helpful feedback or advice, based on experience with these amps?

Many thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I'm afraid I can't help but may I have your house and your wife please?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspek said:
    I'm afraid I can't help but may I have your house and your wife please?

Well, if you're happy to finish off the enormous amount of work to be done in the house and remove about 60 tonnes of rubble from the garden, something could be arranged!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    I adore my Sheriff 22 but haven't tried the Marshall Studio heads. With the Sheriff having 2 channels, I assume it would be a bit like having both the Plexi and the 800, as that's more or less what the two channels are based on. 

The only drawback to the Sheriff is that the post phase inverter master volume means it's quite tricky to set up volume boosts, and any effects in the loop will need their levels bringing down a bit.
    Tim
  • I haven’t played the sheriff but I have played the sv20h.
    I think it’ll nail what you’re after , but they do need to be played at decent volume to get that sound, which sounds like it shouldn’t be an issue for you. 
  • Yes, the SV20H is very, very tempting - in terms of price and authenticity. I reckon I'll need some sort of attenuation, if only to prevent hearing trouble! The Sheriff has the PPIMV, power scaling and a super low speaker out (on the 22) so possibly a little more practical. In normal times, I'd just go to a dealer, try both and leave with my favourite. But these are not normal times, sadly... I think it might come down to what I can find in stock or even on eBay of Doom.
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6626
    SV20H and an Iron Man 2 Mini attenuator is amazing. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • soma1975 said:
    Ooh. Tell me more! I have a 16ohm cab. Isn't the mini limited to 8ohm?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Flotsam said:

I have a 16ohm cab. Isn't the mini limited to 8ohm?
    Not specific to this question, just saw this and thought it was worth answering...

The amp sees the attenuator as the load not the cab. As long as the amp is matched to the attenuator and the attenuator is set to at least -3dB down (ie not bypassed, with most of them) then the speaker impedance doesn't really matter, and if it's set to at least -6dB then it doesn't matter at all.

So for this you would set the amp to 8 ohms if that's the attenuator impedance. Even if you accidentally bypass it, if the amp is set to 8 ohms and the cab is 16, it will be fine unless you're absolutely driving the nuts off it, which is very unlikely at home, since it will be LOUD :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    Flotsam said:

I have a 16ohm cab. Isn't the mini limited to 8ohm?
    Not specific to this question, just saw this and thought it was worth answering...

The amp sees the attenuator as the load not the cab. As long as the amp is matched to the attenuator and the attenuator is set to at least -3dB down (ie not bypassed, with most of them) then the speaker impedance doesn't really matter, and if it's set to at least -6dB then it doesn't matter at all.

So for this you would set the amp to 8 ohms if that's the attenuator impedance. Even if you accidentally bypass it, if the amp is set to 8 ohms and the cab is 16, it will be fine unless you're absolutely driving the nuts off it, which is very unlikely at home, since it will be LOUD :).

Ah! Thank you. This makes sense. That Ironman Mini does look like a very well designed piece of kit and with any kind of plexi-ish amp, I imagine I'd be attenuating in just about any situation.
  • Another vote for the Ironman mini. I use it with my 18 watt Marshall clone and it works a treat. Keeps the tone and whacks down the volume. Great as I live in a terraced house. 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6626
    edited December 2020
    Flotsam said:
    soma1975 said:
    Ooh. Tell me more! I have a 16ohm cab. Isn't the mini limited to 8ohm?

Ah yes it is. A 8ohm speaker isn't expensive though

Absolutely glorious tones in the front room at conversation level. 

EDIT: I see the experts have given much better answer.

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 135
    I think the SV20H takes attenuators very well. I use mine with a cheap Jettenuator and it's loads of fun night and day.
  • FlotsamFlotsam Frets: 53
    Just to update this thread, I have bought the SV20H. It's exactly the tone I was looking for. That isn't surprising; what is surprising is just how loud this little thing gets. I had it attenuated (-20dB) and on the 5 watt setting through just a 1x12" and it was brutal in my small practice room. I'll be using this through a load box and IR into my Genelecs for practice, that's for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ryanverbenaryanverbena Frets: 388
    I have owned both these amps - you made the right choice. The Sheriff is a fantastic amp in its own right, although a little smooth for classic plexi. I would pitch it somewhere between a jtm45 and a plexi.

But for what you described the SV20H is gonna bang right on the money. Gotta jumper those input channels too!
    I've actually bought the Sheriff v4 preamp in the meantime as well. I haven't tried that in the loop/4CM with the SV20H but it should go really well, driving the phase inverter with the masters up and the gain low. I reckon channel 2 on the preamp might make for a great complementary solo voice.
    Just a quick update. I have spent a few hours with the amp now. It's really, really great. In the absence of a decent attenuator, I'm running it through a Torpedo Captor and CAB M though studio speakers most of the time. Nonetheless, it sounds absolutely glorious when jumpered and with the right channel mix for the guitar you're using. Obviously, it's not hugely versatile but it nails the 70s classic rock vibe. I cannot see why Marshall didn't release the Studio amp series years ago...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited July 2021
    Love the SV20H! Been sort of rediscovering plexi-style amps recently after playing a few nice ones. Always thought I was an 800 person but I really like the fatter and warmer sound of the plexis, especially on the 20w as you can crank it up and get that nice "spongey" EVH sort of sound and feel. With a boost they can still get heavy. Much as I'd like a 1987x it's so impractical!

I've been thinking about trying one of these to compliment my Jubilee, would love the full Studio collection eventually haha. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 333
    The GAS is so strong for an SV20, but I really, really don't need one!
    Well, I definitely didn't think I needed one but now I have it, I realise that I did. It really is ace.