Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What are your project plans for 2021?

What's Hot

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    I've been planning my carved top guitar for about 15 years! I've had a few false starts and cock-ups but I think I've finally got everything together to finally pull it off. 
    Bloody hell I thought I was slow
    Cobblers children. Too busy fixing other people's guitars to find time to do my own!

I closed my repair business in March so have had some time this year to do whatever I like.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    I've been planning my carved top guitar for about 15 years! I've had a few false starts and cock-ups but I think I've finally got everything together to finally pull it off. 
    Bloody hell I thought I was slow
    Cobblers children. Too busy fixing other people's guitars to find time to do my own!

I closed my repair business in March so have had some time this year to do whatever I like.
    That sounds great now, look forward to seeing the progress 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    I've a pile of wood I was going to build a shallow-carve DC-type thing out of, but not sure of shape or approach to take.

Another idea mulled over is a Mosbird: long-scale fanned fret bastard child result of a quickie behind the Dog & Sprocket of a Mosrite and Firebird, or maybe normal fret/longer scale. Doubtful though as would have to sell it and the appeal would be pretty small I guess.... probably just me I should think  : )

I'd like to sell someone the idea of having this thin light chuckable guitar idea in my head built.

I've also wanted to do a 335-ish lam top and a fat classy carved jazzbox for ages, once in a while I look at vac bags or dream up ideas for presses and so on, but doubt those will come to pass anytime soon.

• Well theoretically a lot of projects but the enemy time will probably scupper most of them.

I have a number of Tele and Strat parts casters to put together so hopefully get a start on those during the Christmas shutdown. 

I scored some super cheap wood for an acoustic guitar scratch build like 12 Euro's for Mahogany back rosewood sides and a cheap cedar top in one of the BF deal out here. Its pretty rough wood in terms of slightly warped, covered in saw marks but have never ever tried an acoustic guitar build I felt no point in wasting money of expensive wood as this is going to be messy at best. 

I also have the Fano style guitar I got from Graham@gsp but been honing my spraying skills over the summer and want to do a good job in the Fano/Novo style of lightly stressed direct to the wood look. But keep changing my mind on the colour. 

If that does not keep me occupied I have plenty of wood and stuff laying around.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    All my prospective builds are currently on the back burner while I frantically learn material for a new band project. But in 2021 I hope to make a start on one or more of the following:

(1) Re-build my 68 Custom Princeton Reverb. I’ve already restored the NFB to 60s spec and reduced the excessive bass in the tone stack, but now I’m looking to re-build the guts of the amp on eyelet board and incorporate some other improvements (e.g. Stokes mod). Arguably it makes little sense to trash the innards of a perfectly good amp that’s in working order, but hey, it’s mine and I can do what I like with it.

(2) Weber Maggie-type amp i.e. 5F1 circuit beefed up to run a 6L6. I already have the transformers and a selection of 12in speakers.

(3) Some take on the Ampeg B15 bass amp head. I have the layout for the Ceriatone Aunt Peg - see what they did there? One option would be to pick up a used HRD which should give me the right transformers. The cab could end up as part of build (2).

(4) Another pedal. Maybe a Klone with the dual pot split into one for gain and one for clean mix.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited December 2020
    1. Finish the bass
    2. Finish the Tele/cabronita thing
    3. finish the lap steel. 
    4. More pedals. 
    5. Maybe more lapsteels. 
    6. Couple more 6-string ideas. Thinline Tele and junior. 
    7. Nobody’s keeping score are they? 
    8. An amp....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I'm stealing that!!
  • 1 - Finish off my Lovetone Flanger Clone
    2 - Build a Schumann PLL clone
    3 - Cabronita Build
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Goldtop 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Sell most of my remaining guitar gear and build myself a nice HiFi
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    Firstly, 5 existing guitars to do various work on:

£5 boot sale Squier Strat that I've been fixing up as practice needs a new nut to be finished.

My old acoustic needs a partial refret

My sister's old acoustic has a lifting bridge

My ES Les Paul has a couple of inlays that have lifted

I need to tweak the guitar I built at Crimson a couple of years ago.  Need to move the volume control.  It will look ugly but that's better than it getting in the way.

Also, a non-working pedal build to troubleshoot and finish.

Then a partly finished kit guitar that I've had for years.

After that, I want to do a build from scratch.  Something with a Tele bridge and bridge pickup, but maybe in a single cut style body.

Hope to get 2 or 3 of the repair type things done over the Christmas break.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260

Do another album after our smash top hit album this year.

https://scoorieboy.bandcamp.com/releases

Making a very special T type with a unique finish when Jon at Rexter has finished cooking the body.

• Paint and assemble my bitsa strat
    Do some fret edge filing on some of my cheaper guitars.
    Replace the bridge pickup in my Epiphone SG with a spare Duncan JB. Put in a decent 3 way switch and put some loktight on the jack socket as it keeps coming loose.
    Put shielding tape in my hendrix strat.
    See if I can fix the freting issues on a tanglewood acoustic I found in a skip, (6th and 7th fret are the same notes)

• Very modest, by TFB standards, for me.

Having finished a 21 year guitar build project this year using an Allparts neck, I plan to scratch
    build a neck for my first bitsa and put the neck from that back on my first electric guitar.
  • Build a marshall style amp.

Don't want one I just want something to build and I find those are easier to move without making a loss
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    rze99 said:

Making a very special T type with a unique finish when Jon at Rexter has finished cooking the body.

Sounds good! I've been listening whilst browsing.
  • Toe_Knee said:
    Build a marshall style amp.

Don't want one I just want something to build and I find those are easier to move without making a loss

Given the builds you've done before, it should be excellent quality and whoever buys it is in for an awesome amp.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2335
    tFB Trader
    rze99 said:

when Jon at Rexter has finished cooking the body? Interesting tell all!

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    I think the main goal has to be to get something/anything finished & away 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom