SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

NOW changed from a 34" scale to a 30" scale bass.

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
edited January 2021 in Basses £
SOLD my 2019 USA Fender Precision Performer bass bought earlier last year.
Always wanted a four string bass ands hoped to learn, but the long scale is too much for me!!

Now bought a 30" Mustang...ACE!!!
Jon

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Highly recommend trying a shorter scale, I have basses that are primarily 30" but also some that are 32" - worth considering those too. I find 32" is the sweet spot in terms of ease of playing and low end tone but you can get plenty of nice low end out of a 30" too. 

I would recommend keeping an eye out for an Epiphone Allen Woody as a way in to short scale basses, they are very high quality and can be picked up fairly cheap. There are also a few 32" Fender Japan precisions out there. If you want to spend more, I would highly recommend getting a custom made bass from Maruszczyk (public-peace.de) - they do most in a range of scale length options, and the Mister Tee is by far the best short scale bass I've ever played. So good, I bought 3 of them :-)

FYI, your precision might sell quicker on basschat.co.uk - in my experience, this bass subforum on FB doesn't seem that highly viewed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a bunch of decent shorties out there right now, so you're in luck. The Squier Jag SS and Gretsch Jets are both cheap and decent quality to try one out before you switch scales permanently.

If you want to get a feel for how a 30 scale feels vs a 34 then drop a capo on second fret and tune down a step. That should be close enough to the scale length and tension for you to get the idea. 
  • 30" basses never sound quite as good on the Low E. 32" is apparently a good compromise but have not tried one in person.
  • Changing from a 34” helped my ageing fingers considerably, currently using a 30” EB-0 and my favourite a fretless 31.5”, haven’t noticed any problem with the low E on either.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    I use 30" exclusively these days and prefer the older European models due to their slim necks - the neck width is pretty much the same at the 12th fret as at the nut. These necks tend to be deeper in shape (think Nocaster Tele) and forming barre chord shapes is a breeze anywhere on the neck. Older Hofner solid bodies are excellent basses though they do need a proper setup and the pickups can require attention but once setup properly they can sound similar to Rickenbackers due to the louder bridge pickup being very close to the bridge. Sixties Italian EKO basses have a similar format and are worth checking out.
  • Thanks for the advice...Jon
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23906
    I’ve got a couple of Ibanez Mezzo 32 scale.
    They are amazing for the money.

Even the 5 string low B is very good. Strung with either Dunlop flats or Newtone rounds. 
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 161
    I've always been a fan of the Fender Mustang (and Musicmaster), I "upgraded" to a P Bass then a Music Man and it isn't the same world. I have some of each now, and the Mustang often sounds better, depending upon what is required. It lacks nothing in tone and is better to play. A couple of years ago I bought a Squier SS (short scale) Jaguar Bass, with P/J pickups. It was under £200 and is amazing. Find one! You could cover any gig or recording with it, and it is so easy to play. I've been playing 40 years plus and owned all sorts, that Jaguar SS takes some beating at ANY price! As recommended by borntohang above, too! It is so cheap I'd rather take it to a gig than a Mustang, in case it gets dinged. 
  • Zoonyboy said:
    I've always been a fan of the Fender Mustang (and Musicmaster), I "upgraded" to a P Bass then a Music Man and it isn't the same world. I have some of each now, and the Mustang often sounds better, depending upon what is required. It lacks nothing in tone and is better to play. A couple of years ago I bought a Squier SS (short scale) Jaguar Bass, with P/J pickups. It was under £200 and is amazing. Find one! You could cover any gig or recording with it, and it is so easy to play. I've been playing 40 years plus and owned all sorts, that Jaguar SS takes some beating at ANY price! As recommended by borntohang above, too! It is so cheap I'd rather take it to a gig than a Mustang, in case it gets dinged. 
    They're surprisingly solid - just need a set of 105/110s instead of the stock strings to tighten up the low E a bit. A friend picked one up after playing mine as his 70s Musicmaster was getting too fragile to tour and he wanted a replacement. Easy to cop that vibe with flats on. 
  • I've changed from 34 to 31.5. What an incredible change. I was finding long wedding gigs were getting hard on my fingers, but the change has made a difference. I can do things on my medium scale that I couldn't do on a 34.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Just bought a USA Mustang bass from PMT. Came yesterday and I jammed along to Jools last night. So much easier to play.
    Now have the box to package my P/J Fender Performer s/burst bass ....will list this here.
    Thanks for the advice...happy new year.
    Jon
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    My Fender Performer bass is now on here for sale!

• Pm sent