GAS'ing for a new acoustic in 2021 - With a happy ending!

What's Hot

Comments

• 2020 was my year for buying myself a really nice acoustic for my 60th. I was dead set on a Martin and tried about 6 different models without being as knocked out as I would have expected to be for £2k to £3k. Tried a Furch and was blown away, different class of tone, depth, build and I like the neck a lot. Also it was only £1.6k. I guess I am saying don’t get set in a brand or model until you can get your paws on a few and test drive them. 

Do you know which Furch model it is?

And I will try out a few just now isn't a great time to get down to guitar shops hence why I'm asking about on here!
    Rather embarrassingly I can’t remember and I am stuck 120 miles away from it caring for my parents at the moment. I did loads of online research on the Martin’s etc. but just picked the Furch cos I really like it.

It’s struck me for its big deep but well controlled sound. I play acoustic just with fingers and every note makes itself beautifully heard without much effort. May You Never by John Martin that kind of thing. Richard Thompson too. I know the top wood was slightly unusual but again can’t check what it is at this point. Quite a wide board and meaty neck, more so than the Martin’s I tried and my friend’s D18. Having been playing a classical guitar and a National lately I have come to appreciate a bit more to get the paws around. My friends D18 in comparison sounds sweet but more compressed if that makes sense. All the Martin’s I tried sounded quieter and ‘smaller’ than this, the Furch really sings out. 

I know it’s a difficult time but when you can I wholeheartedly recommend a couple of hours in a good store where you can try a fair few guitars for yourself. 
    Definitely going to try out a few before I buy anything, I've never bought a new guitar without playing it first. Once this pandemic is over maybe I'll actually have some money saved up to get a good upgrade!

Will research more into the Furch models, their colour names really confuse me that's all!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Snags said:
    Another vote for checking out Furch, Eastman, maybe Dowina etc. (i.e. some of the Eastern European and Chinese/Far Eastern options) unless having it say "Taylor" or "Martin" on the headstock matters.

Don't worry too much about getting an electro, you can always add a pre-amp or a K&K mini - unless the plugged in sound is the be all and end all, in which case that may change the game slightly.

When I was overcome by lust for a decent acoustic I ended up with a Furch G32CRC (before they went to the slightly unhelpful colour-based naming scheme), despite expecting to have to significantly increase budget in order to get the appropriate Taylor etc.
    Yeah will look for a good acoustic sound first and foremost. Then add something later as it would have a dual use of unplugged and plugged in but if it doesn't sound good naturally then it will never sound good plugged in.

As I said before I'd rather save up and spend a bit more rather than scrimp and get a crappy budget model of a Martin.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Oops, Christmas dyslexia: G23CRC.
  • Snags said:
    Oops, Christmas dyslexia: G23CRC.
    Ha no one wonder I couldn't find it when I typed it into Google!

By the way does anyone know what the OM stands for on acoustic models? I presume the D stands for dreadnought e.g For a Martin D28.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Orchestra model. Same shape as 000 but longer scale length and 1 3/4 nut. Other makers may differ but that’s the Martin spec, who coined all those models in the first place 
  • Hmm ok, and what's the difference between OM and Dreadnought sound wise?

I'm just listening to a clip of the Furch OM-CR (Yellow) and its very full and deep sounding!
    edited January 2021
    In one regard you will get a better balance of tone across the strings on a mid price OM, takes a few more quid to get the same balance on a dreadnaught. Dreads will have more bass. Sometimes boomy and hard to manage  
    OM/000 usually better suited to fingerstyle
    Speaking very very  generally of course, there’s always exceptions. The Gibson J45 for one, find a good one and the bass is tight, focused and punchy. Not flabby and loose like others...

I love factory built American guitars, shoot me down , but they are great. D18, J45 are examples of very good dreadnaught guitars. The two sound very different from one another  especially in the mid range partly because of the shape of the shoulders 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmm yeah I'm more of a strummer than a fingerstyle player. Boomy bass is an issue with some acoustics I've played.

Used to own a J45 actually, but didn't get on with it so I sold it and ended up with my Tak. I don't regret it too much.
    Also think of comfort, I play mostly sat down, kicking around the house anywhere I can get some relative peace.

A dread can be mighty uncomfortable after a while. I personally think the 00 gets it right. I also like 0 size guitars. 
    Some people just can’t abide small guitars, complaining of a boxy tone. I don’t mind that aspect but again, lots of small guitars these days have overcome that trait and sound very grown up, 
  • The new Furch 'colour range' is rather opaque and difficult to understand compared to the previous letter/number system. From the research I did, the now discontinued 23 range was the best bang for your buck. The same quality, tone woods etc as the higher numbered models, but less bling (although they do look pretty special). I chose the G23-CRC. G = Grand Auditorium, 23 = the range (tastefully adorned, but not over the top), CRC = Cedar top, Rosewood back and sides, Cutaway.

This page shows the old 23 cedar/rosewood range:

https://furchguitars.com/en/instruments/discontinued-models/23-cr/

It states that the successor range is the Yellow one, although my G23-CRC has more ornate fret inlays than those on the Yellow CR equivalent.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    For me, the sound of a Dread beats the comfort of an OM.

Both are nice but it's like Les Paul vs PRS-type and I want that full fat tone.
    Schnozz said:

Hard to argue that point. They do sound deliciously full
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    Schnozz said:

For me it's more than just the comfort of an OM; I can't play a dread for more than a few minutes without shoulder pain whereas I have no issue with smaller guitars.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    There's loads of articles out there on body shape and 'intended' use e.g. https://www.sagemusic.co/how-to-choose-an-acoustic-guitar-by-body-shape/

I still hanker for a dread as well as the GA because it heart I'm a relatively unsubtle thumper of chords with little fills or twiddles, rather than a proper finger-picker, but the GA is a reasonable jack-of-all-trades in terms of projection, balance etc.

But you can find instruments that defy the guidelines: a dreadnaught with less presence than an OM etc. etc. so body shape only really gets you in the ballpark.

• Schnozz said:

I believe my Tak is a dreadnought so maybe getting an OM would make a good alternative if I need a different sound.

But yeah I am more a chord strum guy as opposed to a fingerstyle player.
  • Looks like both guitarists have Martin's now and the vocalist looks like he's playing some sort of Furch?

They've obviously pre-recorded this and mixed it too it seems.
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2629
    This is part of what's so cool about acoustics, the sounds really can be quite different regardless of brand or model.  It's a great excuse to go out and strum a good variety . . . and a good excuse to buy one of everything!

Having once owned a Martin DX (mentioned by the op somewhere in the thread) for over 10 years, my advice is to look elsewhere, especially since you've already been playing for a while.  The main perk of those Martins is that they are comfortable (and cheap) and, if you're still in the beginning phase of playing, will perhaps make you sound better than you are.  But they are also made of "high pressure laminate" and glue, they will not improve with age like a real wood guitar and they lack both volume and clarity, particularly if you're playing along with others.

• DavidRDavidR Frets: 728
    Buying an acoustic such a personal thing. Note you're in London but not keen on visiting shops at present and I agree. Don't forget the perennial favourite of many intermediate players on a budget, Yamaha. Yamaha London is on Wardour St. Take a look at website.

BTW used to own Martin 000X1 from their X range. Similar quality to your DX but no electrics. Not bad but not brilliant. Quite a solid guitar. Liked the Stratabond neck quite a lot - the idea of it and the novel appearance. Much better after action tweaked a bit by luthier friend but that's true of a lot of Martins who have a tendency to ship a lot of their instruments with high actions - on the basis that you can always lower them I think!

You're absolutely right in thinking that there's a lot of better guitars out there at the non-premium level. Will you really need electrics? I only ask because unless you're performing you might not use them a lot of the time. The unmodified tone of an acoustic is what I always go for. Not a big fan of the modern tendency, especially with e.g. most Taylors (and nearly all cutaways for some reason) to have electrics just now. Limits choice. But the choice is still huge in comparison with previous decades. Have fun.
  • Yes I don't think any guitar shops will be open for a while wherever we are in the UK!

I actually spoke to the guitarist with the cap on via Instagram - he informed he is playing a 000-42 that Martin made for him - there's a funny story that when they were first making the body they called him and had to tell him it was going to be another 9 months or so as his body spec matched Eric Clapton's who was going out on tour so they had to give it to Eric!

But those 000's are like £5k so there's no way I could afford one. They're smaller in body size I believe and are good for picking whereas I'm a strummer so maybe a D series would suit me better.

I agree I will want to just get the best sounding guitar acoustically first and then add electrics later. I do a lot of online live stream stuff so its easier to plug straight into a mixer. Or maybe I could mic it up with a nice condenser perhaps.
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    Look at the Martin Reimagined 000-28... it's pretty much a 000-42 without the ornate details and bling.
    But it'll sounds pretty damn close and it won't cost you £5k! Especially if you find one used