Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone else lost motivation?

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
My main band has fallen by the wayside (I.e. no contact between any of us since March... ok by me though, as was sick of being the one doing all the work etc.). I’ve joined another band, and they’re a decent bunch of folk, but I just can’t be arsed trying to learn this huge backlog of songs. 

No idea why I’m feeling like this - I enjoy playing, but I’m not sure if it’s due to the songs not being what I’d prefer to play, the complication of the other guitarist learning random bits, the lack of any foreseeable gigs, or just losing the passion for it.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing in lockdown?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No but I’m sorry to hear that you’re in a rut. I’m bursting at the seams to get out and play.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1260
    Yes, a bit. It’s on and off with me. I’ve gone down the retail therapy route (two new guitars this year) which has helped inspire me a bit. 

Keeping contact with my two main band mates has helped too, they’re all good friends so I guess that’s an advantage. 

The big struggle is having no gigs in the diary or for the foreseeable future....that’s tough and I feel your pain!
  • Yes, I’ve hardly played guitar since my last gig in March. 

We do pub covers as a bit of a laugh, and to be honest before lockdown I was finding the late nights and lugging stuff up and down the stairs a bit off a pain that was starting to outweigh the enjoyment side of it. 

I was hoping that lockdown would see me itching to get back out there, but it’s been the opposite. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3633
    It can happen at the best of times so no wonder in the current climate.  Take a break, just don't do anything permanent such as quit the band or sell your gear.

Over the years the most common excuse I've heard from people about lack of progress was "we don't have sufficient time".  Well bollocks, it's about motivation.  Lockdown and fulough has given people loads of extra time but, without the prospect of gigs. the motivation drains away and nothing gets done.  The motivation will return the second a gig comes into view.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    I got pretty demotivated during the first lockdown. I would sit in my music room and not feel like starting anything.

Then I started keeping a Bullet Journal which for me was a way of ‘capturing’ all the things I wanted to do, ideas for things to try, and also my amp and pedal builds. Sometimes I give myself a target of things to do during a day, other times I just note what I’ve done.

Currently my main activities are working through the Bass White Pages (present from my son) and learning 45 songs on guitar for a band I will be gigging with once the zombie plague subsides.
  • I'm still playing a lot.. just not the stuff in the set. It sounds like my band is the same as @not_the_dj s and I was quite glad of the break in March truth be told. We're still in regular contact and had two rehearsals in September. We rattled through our stuff with minimal problems so I think we can get out there again pretty quickly. I've found learning the suggestions for additions very difficult. My enthusiasm for a cover comes from us jamming something out and then learning it properly for the next week, usually. I'm currently getting much mileage from TrueFire in terms of personal motivation though. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    We’re all missing playing together, not just gigs but rehearsals too. Earlier this year we managed two rehearsals in Covid secure environments, but don’t expect any gigs until next summer. In the mean time we’re having fortnightly Zoom calls to keep in touch.

Without the stimulus of gigs or rehearsals I’ve not been playing much. For a while I was tempted by retail therapy, either a new valve combo which I’d never have a use for, or upgrading to an Axe FX III. I decided that I don’t really need either. Instead I have spent time modifying settings my existing settings. This is something that I try to avoid when there are gigs coming up because of the risk of upsetting the sound
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Not really, just slightly different focus right now. I've got a Feb deadline to finish the new album (it's been a year .... ) and so I'm focusing more on mixing and production right now than I am on playing. I did do a playthrough video for our Facebook yesterday though of an old song that we've not played live in 6 years!! It was a bit rusty, but people seemed to like it.

Bye!

• RolandRoland Frets: 8592
    ... My enthusiasm for a cover comes from us jamming something out and then learning it properly for the next week, ... 
    I enjoy learning and arranging songs, but you’re right: it doesn’t work in isolation. We need to play together to know whether an arrangement works in a band setting with the other instruments and they way we each play. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I’ve been lucky enough to do quite a few gigs (socially distanced) over the year. Maybe 30 including 2 sold out ones in last week, but other than Gigging, I’ve had no desire to sit and play, or buy gear, which is what scares me. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31370
    I have totally lost motivation. We were doing around 50 gigs a year until March and apart from mountain biking with the singer I haven't seen any of them since. The bassist has jacked after nine years of playing together in various lineups and I no longer have finger callouses as I no longer really play. 

I've stopped playing guitar completely for years on end before, but I was much younger and fell back into it easily. I'm battling hand injuries, tendon issues, arthritis and apathy these days, so who knows, I may not bother again. 

• I've barely touched a guitar since our last band rehearsal in Feb.

During lockdown I've been getting my musical kicks from learning to play the piano.  I started in June, passed my first ever music exam in November, and practice every day.

Meanwhile the band are still in touch and we're all still keen to play together again once we can, so I'm not stressing it too much.  And I'm certainly not selling any of my gear :)
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • we,ve manged a couple of rehearsals since march, did a gig about 3 weeks ago, i enjoyed it but dont miss it all as much as i thought i would. ive been practising guitar but not band stuff and 2 months ago bought a cello and teaching myself at a slow pace. I do chat to my band members but i resent the fact that they have made zero effort and it showed at the recent gig, although we were well recieved and i doubt it was noticeable.  I have been thinking about when / if things return to normal trying to finding a different band, maybe in addition to my covers band, perhaps a folky or steampunk band needing a basic cello and mandolin player. I guess i havnt lost motivation but im keen to add something different to my playing 
  • We’ve done a hand full of gigs during the latter part of the year, most have been really good but the penultimate one wasn’t very well managed in terms of social distancing etc and the last one (done as an acoustic thing) was played to barely anyone. I must say, with nothing booked now until May (and who knows if that will happen), I’ve lost a bit of interest as even doing a gig just isn’t like it used to be and can be a bit hard work. 

I’ve not picked a guitar up since mid December and am supposed to be learning some new songs for the set, but I just can’t be arsed at the minute.
  • This has been a horribly inactive year. Our keyboard player is high risk and shielding, which meant even after restrictions were lifted we were very cautious and didn’t get together. So the last time we were together as a band, was the weekend before the first lockdown. It’s been a very frustrating time and I haven’t made the best (musical) use of it; however, there has been a promotion at work and a newborn in the interim, so maybe I’m expecting too much of myself. I miss the outlet of music though, it has always been my mental health barometer and therapy, not having that has been tough.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Not related to the current shutdown situation, but in tha past a band falling apart resulted in a loss of motivation for about a year. Then another 16 years in a great band which ended in another bout of not playing guitar for many months. On both occasions random invitations to jam or gig had the effect of snapping me out of it ond way or another. 
    Keep the faith, in all the years I've had a relationship with my guitar(s), I've never found it to let me down, it awaits ready for action when you are.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    I've not played out since Feb. Some of my friends and I formed a covers start up in 2018. It was very low key jamming once a month.

This year was supposed to be when we got summer gigs. I was going to have a festival in my garden. OK a BBQ with music. We were then going to do some low level gigs.

Im concerned that after a year off its going to be hard to get momentum. It will probably be OK.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Lost motivation, yes, but, I'm still desperate to get out playing again. I just don't have the drive to practice at the mo.

I'm usually on acoustic for pub sessions and drums in a band. I can't see me playing in either for a while.

I have managed to do a small amount of recording, but, my focus has turned to my other hobbies recently (photography being one).
  • I haven't practised songs from the set of the cover band. There was one Zoom chat in May or something, and a few words exchanged by WhatsApp. One of them was about a gig we could have lined up in May and I get the feeling the band could collapse. I'm not sure I'd feel sad if it did.

I've been amusing myself with getting to know Reaper and playing guitar more than the bass I do/did with the covers band. 

Things will become clearer within ourselves when the go-ahead is given for live entertainment. Whether things return to normal or there will be provisions (performers, staff and punters need vaccinated), changes in personal lives, etc we just wait.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    Motivation lost a bit here for band stuff, although the 2 gigs we were lucky enough to squeeze in between lockdowns in 2020 I still thoroughly enjoyed.

Keep thinking about leaving the band, but deep down I know I'd really regret that, and enjoy spending time with them socislly aswell as playing music.

So currently just concentrating on playing what I want and trying to write rather than just learn new covers. Trying to stay inspired and not just waste time basically - Everything else will sort itself out I due course!