PJ Pickups

What's Hot
HaychHaych Frets: 5596
I have a cheap Squier Affinity PJ bass that I use for recording.

It's not a bad instrument for the price, and better with a bit of work and a few tweaks, but it lacks a bit of clarity and punch and am wondering if a set of new pickups would help with that?

As I know toffee about bass what might be a good set of PJ pickups to buy in search of getting a better tone onto SSD?

Thanks in advance.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Seymour Duncan quarter pounder PJ is a stalwart set for upgrade. The EMG geezer butler set is a good option as well. Worth listening to vids online to get a view of the difference. 

Of course there’s loads of hand wound to choose from, and they won’t actually be that much more expensive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5596
    Seymour Duncan quarter pounder PJ is a stalwart set for upgrade. The EMG geezer butler set is a good option as well. Worth listening to vids online to get a view of the difference. 

Of course there’s loads of hand wound to choose from, and they won’t actually be that much more expensive. 
    I was looking at the SD PJ set, but I know toffee about bass so wouldn't know if it would be a worthy upgrade or a waste of 150 notes.

Haych said:

I was looking at the SD PJ set, but I know toffee about bass so wouldn't know if it would be a worthy upgrade or a waste of 150 notes.
    Depends on what you want to achieve. 

What’s unsatisfactory about your tone at the moment?
    Just re-reading your post - punch and clarity?
    Both the SD and EMG set will give you some more of that, but a hand wound set enables you to say exactly what sort of tone you are looking for..
    Yeah, it's hard to describe, but it's on the muffled and dark side at the moment.  If it had a bit (or maybe a lot, I dunno) more definition and distinction to the tone (clarity) and a bit more power to it (punch) then I reckon it would be not a bad little bass really.

Of course, it can sound ace and it could still be the player (i.e. me) that's making it sound garbage.

Haych said:
    Yeah, it's hard to describe, but it's on the muffled and dark side at the moment.  If it had a bit (or maybe a lot, I dunno) more definition and distinction to the tone (clarity) and a bit more power to it (punch) then I reckon it would be not a bad little bass really.

Of course, it can sound ace and it could still be the player (i.e. me) that's making it sound garbage.
    Have you had a good look at pickup height and angle? It’s actually really important on bass that it’s right and can make a big difference. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23967
    I'd go with the EMG-X set over the Geezers.

The SD QP set are ok - but their biggest problem is the P pickup doesn't sound like a P. t has too much bass and not enough mids. Fine if that is what you want, but it's not a precision sound.

My favourite passive set would be the Aguilar 60s wind set with the humcancelling J. But they are expensive.

EMG-X series is my vote - and they seem to be a bit cheaper than the Geezers too at the moment. Amazingly quiet for recording as well.
    Haych said:

Have you had a good look at pickup height and angle? It’s actually really important on bass that it’s right and can make a big difference. 
    Well, it seems reasonable to me but like I say I know toffee about bass so I might be way off the mark.

I'd go with the EMG-X set over the Geezers.

The SD QP set are ok - but their biggest problem is the P pickup doesn't sound like a P. t has too much bass and not enough mids. Fine if that is what you want, but it's not a precision sound.

My favourite passive set would be the Aguilar 60s wind set with the humcancelling J. But they are expensive.

EMG-X series is my vote - and they seem to be a bit cheaper than the Geezers too at the moment. Amazingly quiet for recording as well.
    I’ve had the Aguilar set in the past, and the EMG-X set (!)

I preferred the geezers to the X’s but that’s personal taste. The Aguilars are good, but I’m not sure I’d recommend them for a cheaper bass - feels like overkill when there’s other good options out there. 

The SD QP P in my set is actually not bad at a P bass sound - I would agree there’s less mids, but not as much as I’d expected from the reviews 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Seymour Duncan quarter pounder
    FFS, the product name is written on the packaging. It is SPB-3 Quarter Pound for Precision Bass.

Quarter Pounder is a registered trade mark of McDonald's.

My advice to anyone installing a Quarter Pounder™ in a bass guitar is to combine it with a Greasebucket™ tone control.

Impeach Bridgehouse! 
    Be seeing you.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Seymour Duncan quarter pounder
    FFS, the product name is written on the packaging. It is SPB-3 Quarter Pound for Precision Bass.

Quarter Pounder is a registered trade mark of McDonald's.

My advice to anyone installing a Quarter Pounder™ in a bass guitar is to combine it with a Greasebucket™ tone control.

Impeach Bridgehouse! 
    <IP tracking software turned on>
    <monitor mode activated>

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you experimented with compression and EQ? Will be cheaper than hardware upgrade if it's only for studio work.
    Have you experimented with compression and EQ? Will be cheaper than hardware upgrade if it's only for studio work.
    Yep, this is about the best I can get it and I've EQ'd it to an inch of it's life.  Even then it starts to get a bit mushy below B, which I didn't use much for this little ditty.

Don't expect much, the playing/timing etc is awful but it was just a quick thing to experiment with the bass tones:

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Haych said:
    Squier Affinity PJ bass … lacks a bit of clarity and punch
    My first move would be to change the strings. The factory ones are rubbish.

The stock Affinity pickups will almost certainly be the stud poles and underslung ceramic type. Optimise the P pickup sound by adjusting it to taste. Optimise the J pickup by disconnecting it from the controls and removing it completely.

Be seeing you.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Haych said:
    Squier Affinity PJ bass … lacks a bit of clarity and punch
    My first move would be to change the strings. The factory ones are rubbish.

The stock Affinity pickups will almost certainly be the stud poles and underslung ceramic type. Optimise the P pickup sound by adjusting it to taste. Optimise the J pickup by disconnecting it from the controls and removing it completely.

Strings are D'Addario, I'm pretty sure.  They've been changed since I bought it a couple of times.

I take it you're not a fan of the J Pickup.

I was going to modify it so they were on separate outputs so they could be recorded simultaneously to different tracks and blended in the DAW.  Still might but whether it serves a useful purpose is another thing altogether.

• I have a Squier PJ, not an Affinity but the level above - Standard is it? - Indonesian made.

I replaced the pickups, initially getting a second-hand SD Quarter Pound (er...is that ok, Funkfingers?) for the bridge position J but I couldn't find a cheap second-hand SD P pick-up and ended up buying a brand new Tonerider Precision Plus.

I was very impressed with the Tonerider - sounded great, 'proper' Fender pick-up style construction (no plastic bobbins, cloth hook-up wire). Cost around £30 a few years ago.

You couldn't go far wrong with a Tonerider PJ set (probably somewhere between £60-70 now?)
  • I had the Geezer P pickup and I was much happier after replacing it with the Duncan SPB1. It’s been a while since the Geezer was in but I remember feeling like it didn’t quite have enough clarity for me. 

The SPB1 sounds just like I expect a P bass to sound. I’m not sure what J pickup would balance best with it but I’d happily recommend it as a choice for a P pickup. FWIW I play fairly heavy rock music, despite it being a ‘vintage’ style pickup it handles higher gain tones and steel strings great
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Personally I wouldn't even consider a PJ set unless the J was overwound compared to the P and preferably hum-cancelling - eg a Duncan Hot Jazz Stack combined with any vintage-style P pickup.

Otherwise the J is a weak, thin-sounding hum generator whose only function is to make the P pickup sound good on its own and bad when combined... just a way to ruin a good P-Bass, basically.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The Fender '62 Custom Shop P pickup is ideal for a 'classic' punchy P sound.
    Fender Custom Shop '62 Precision Bass Pickup (gak.co.uk)

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1473
    When I was building a PJ for a friend, I used a SD Quarter Pound and a SD Musicman SMB-4A in the bridge position.  He was in a metal band and was a big fan of Steve Harris, so he wanted a full sound, though they had some Rush like tunes.  With series/parallel switching on the Musicman and the blend, you had a very large palate of tones.