SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Pre CBS Fender Stratocaster/Telecaster

What's Hot

Comments

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    I don’t wish to be difficult, but in your OP you say that “custom colours are way out of your price range”.  On the other hand you’re not willing to suggest what that price range is.  You're asking people to offer up guitars in a price range which could be anywhere between 6k and 20k or more. It might be helpful to meet halfway with just a ballpark figure.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Would it not be better to just stop commenting on this post unless you have a Pre CBS Strat and let the OP figure that out with a potential seller?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • BahHumbug said:
    I don’t wish to be difficult, but in your OP you say that “custom colours are way out of your price range”.  On the other hand you’re not willing to suggest what that price range is.  You're asking people to offer up guitars in a price range which could be anywhere between 6k and 20k or more. It might be helpful to meet halfway with just a ballpark figure.  
    I understand your concern with my request, it’s a pretty vague one. If you’ve got an instrument that fits my pretty vague criteria, I’m all ears. 
    In essence, I have between £6k and £20k to spend if that’s your question. However, that doesn’t mean I intend on spending that amount. A custom colour strat can be way more than £20k, with some people asking £20k for a clean sunburst slab. 
    My OP was intended to see what’s out there, ranging from refin to probably too clean for my liking. I think you’re over thinking this a bit, but I appreciate your comments. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • And the hunt continues. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There is one for sale in Poland currently, from a reputable seller. The price... well. It is advertised on Reverb, too, so you might have seen it, @JonDixon35. Still, getting in touch with the guy can't hurt.
    https://reverb.com/item/37930411-fender-stratocaster-1962-sunburst
  • greggreg66greggreg66 Frets: 503
    edited January 2021
    I noticed a few at The North American Guitar, if that helps. I'm sure you've probably seen those though

Edit: Sorry.... for some reason I thought they were in London! Looks like it's Nashville. Sorry!
  • Tadragh1 said:
    There is one for sale in Poland currently, from a reputable seller. The price... well. It is advertised on Reverb, too, so you might have seen it, @JonDixon35. Still, getting in touch with the guy can't hurt.
    https://reverb.com/item/37930411-fender-stratocaster-1962-sunburst
    Thanks for the heads up. That’s a pricey number, beautiful but I’m priced out I’m afraid. 

• I noticed a few at The North American Guitar, if that helps. I'm sure you've probably seen those though

Edit: Sorry.... for some reason I thought they were in London! Looks like it's Nashville. Sorry!
    A trip to Nashville might be the only answer, I’m sure the wife would love that
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    They'll get it over here for you and delivered to you, and you then have a fairly miserly 72 hours to decide if you want to keep it.
    Call me Dave.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
  • Hick81 said:
    That’s a little bit too altered for what I’m looking for, but thanks for pointing it out. 
  • Have you seen this one? Big money but all original by the looks of it... 

https://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/product/1958-fender-stratocaster/

• I’ve got a ‘64 and a ‘65 Tele’ (65 is technically CBS era but prior to any changes).  I don’t often  play either - not to protect them... but they’re simply not as good as my other Tele’s. First grab is always a parts build with Warmoth neck. The pre-CBS & Custom Shop stuff are gathering dust... just assets. 
    'There are plenty more guitars in the sea'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10175
    edited January 2021
    I’ve got a ‘64 and a ‘65 Tele’ (65 is technically CBS era but prior to any changes).  I don’t often  play either - not to protect them... but they’re simply not as good as my other Tele’s. First grab is always a parts build with Warmoth neck. The pre-CBS & Custom Shop stuff are gathering dust... just assets. 
    I do love my 64 Strat but it's largely the same for me. My 59 Custom Shop Strat is a nicer guitar to play, and my Suhr and Musicman guitars are even nicer to play than that. 
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    @TeleMaster and @Andy_Strings have you instruments had refrets?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10175
    tomajoha said:
    Yea. If the frets are low refret it. If its done well and professionally it's a necessary maintenance. I even had the frets reradiused to 9.5 so it plays really nicely. 

Personally, I think those who say it devalues the instrument and don't do it aren't making a huge amount of sense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 905
    tomajoha said:
    Yea. If the frets are low refret it. If its done well and professionally it's a necessary maintenance. I even had the frets reradiused to 9.5 so it plays really nicely. 

Personally, I think those who say it devalues the instrument and don't do it aren't making a huge amount of sense. 
    I thoroughly agree with your approach, having done the same I have found that the vintage stuff smokes the CS stuff? Some microphonics not withstanding!

I suppose it comes back to the myth that all pre-CBS guitars must be great be default I guess
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1418
    This video is interesting viewing. Anyone know which is which?

https://youtu.be/bQ8kEiP3V_8
  • tomajoha said:
    The 64 still has the original frets but if it needed them, I wouldn't hesitate to get it done.., and take the abuse from those who called me names.  =)
    'There are plenty more guitars in the sea'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MototechMototech Frets: 102
    Just as an aside here, there seems to be some confusion amongst sellers about what constitutes "pre CBS".
    I was looking around for something from 1965, the year I was born & saw a fair few '65 Fender's advertised as pre CBS, which they can't  be as CBS took over Fender on January 1st 1965.
    I ended up buying a 1965 Mustang which had been badly refinished, my intention being to get it back to it's original Dakota Red, when I removed the neck, it was dated 8DEC64 & checking the serial it starts L55, which is 1964. Turns out I accidentally bought a real pre CBS Fender!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom