Anyone know about wood burners?

What's Hot

Comments

• chotu495chotu495 Frets: 356
    We have a Woodwarm 5kw. Was about £1500, and after installation, final price was about £2300. 

They’re expensive with a pro install. Chimney lined, insulation filled around it (vermiculite?). Hetas approved instal certificate. Carbon monoxide detector in the room with it and also the bedroom.

The logs we use are kiln-dried.

Wouldn’t ever call it value for money, but they are lovely things to have through the winter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    drofluf said:
    boogieman said:
    Thanks guys. Plenty to think about so far. 

For those who had recent installs, what’s the rough cost of installation? We’d be looking at having the chimney opening widened, installing the liner and a stone or slate hearth put in. 

@Roland we’ve just bought a place in the countryside so wood supply shouldn’t be an issue. We’ve been grabbing deadfall stuff when we see it on public land (there’s a big oak in the lane next to us that’s been dropping branches) and there’s also plenty of local suppliers for seasoned logs. 
    Make sure it’s properly dry before you try to burn it. Damp wood pollutes more, will gum up your chimney and doesn’t put out as much heat. 
    I hear you. My plan is to build a proper log store when we get warmer, drier weather. There’s currently a brick built thing with a timber lid outside which the previous owner used to keep logs in, but the pointing is shot and the lid is rotting away. There was a load of dried wood in there but it turned out to be only trunks from conifers that had been pruned in the garden. Although it burns ok its like dried cardboard and gives off no heat at all. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    All I know is my neighbour's got one.
    Bloody thing stinks. I think he burns old rubber tyres and oily rags in it.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    I've got a clearview stove in the kitchen. It gets pretty cold out here and the clearview is a real beast, all wood comes from the 'estate' and is seasoned before burning. It fully earns it's keep in the winter. For aftercare, I use these guys, midwalestoves who know all there is to know about stoves, fitting them and maintaining them. If you give either of these guys a call I'm sure they will help you out, even if you're not local. Every year the chimney gets a clean and never has the sweep found anything in the there. Clean as a whistle every year, for about ten years now. Such an efficient design.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Sassafras said:
    All I know is my neighbour's got one.
    Bloody thing stinks. I think he burns old rubber tyres and oily rags in it.
    I still remember the time I was in a mate's garden for a drink, when he started burning bits of his old shed in his chiminea. People do that crap, astounding.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1742
    Last year contractors were repairing the gym floor at my local leisure centre and I got a load of solid ash that they’d taken up. It burnt a treat kept us warm for ages.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Well one of the guys who came earlier has quoted already. Just under £5k for the stove, hearth and installation work. That’s a pisstake I reckon, his price for just the  stove is £5-600 more than I can get it elsewhere online so I wonder where else he’s jacking the price up.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    We had a new one a couple of years ago, dont think it was really that much tbh..got the chimney relined, and we keep a window open when its on for sure...Its a lovely thing but i dont light it as much as i used to due to the pollution in the room aspect.  will look out the invoices at the weekend and let you know what we paid
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    People with wood burners are definitely posh. The rest of us have to make do with gas.

People with wood burners are definitely posh. The rest of us have to make do with gas.
    posh in Cornwall is having Gas :)
  • francerfrancer Frets: 369
    i live in a city area and quite a few people near us have them, and if everyone got one I honestly believe our part of town would become unbearable during cold winter nights with all the pollution, how these things ever became considered 'green' is beyond me.

I guess they're a nice thing to have in the countryside I really do understand the attraction but on public health grounds alone they can't ban them quick enough in cities as far as I'm concerned. I know plenty of people will disagree, but that's my experience, sorry. 
    francer said:
    i live in a city area and quite a few people near us have them, and if everyone got one I honestly believe our part of town would become unbearable during cold winter nights with all the pollution, how these things ever became considered 'green' is beyond me.

I guess they're a nice thing to have in the countryside I really do understand the attraction but on public health grounds alone they can't ban them quick enough in cities as far as I'm concerned. I know plenty of people will disagree, but that's my experience, sorry. 
    I agree totally, sad as that makes me feel
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    I live in a very small village (about 100 houses) most of which have a log burner. On winter nights, when the atmospherics are just right (or wrong) the smoke and pollution hangs around for ages. I can only imagine what it's like in a built up area. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4670
    A Vintage French Painted Cast Iron Cylindrical Godin Wood BurningBurner Stove

We had one of these in our place in Cornwall and it was a total pain in the arse.  Give me central heating every time.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    The only thing I know about them is that the government appear to be planning to restrict the type of fuel you use. They can be very bad for pollution, both inside and outside the home.
    From 2022 it's proposed that "house coal" is going to be banned altogether, and wood supplies must be certified under 20% moisture content. Large amounts can be sold wet but cannot be burned until dry.  You may say how can this be controlled but basically if you see smoke coming out of a chimney in future it means "illegal" fuel is being burned.  

TBH it's high time something was done as there's a lot of ignorance about, but it's not too long ago that the government were promoting wood as it was supposedly "carbon neutral".   A bit like when they were encouraging us to buy diesel cars. 

Wood burners and multi fuel stoves will in future become a "feature" rather than a practical method of space heating.

I haven't paid too much attention to these regs as they don't apply in Scotland, where I live.  FREEEDOM...!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    ... either that or they’re piss poor, and burn wood so that they don’t have to pay for coal, gas, or oil.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited January 2021
    boogieman said:
    Thanks guys. Plenty to think about so far. 

For those who had recent installs, what’s the rough cost of installation? We’d be looking at having the chimney opening widened, installing the liner and a stone or slate hearth put in. 

@Roland we’ve just bought a place in the countryside so wood supply shouldn’t be an issue. We’ve been grabbing deadfall stuff when we see it on public land (there’s a big oak in the lane next to us that’s been dropping branches) and there’s also plenty of local suppliers for seasoned logs. 
    We shopped around quite a bit. Ours is freestanding so there's a flue to account for, the work to go through the roof and of course the chimney. 

We went to a few local places and they quoted around 4-5k, including a stove at around 1200 quid. Ended up finding the same Hetas guy who installed them for both shops and went direct. He said the stoves on the website I mentioned were no difference in quality to the more expensive ones, and we ended up getting the whole lot done for 2k (including the stove at around 600 quid).

He said the shops typically rip everyone off big time.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Honest the best thing I've ever fitted, it gives off an amazing hear that spreads through the house, and they add a lovely atmosphere.

There's lots of talk about restrictions on them coming in, but I don't think we will see them banned, they may eventually ban new installations and restrict what can be burned, but if they want to ban them they'd have to find alternatives for people.

The install isn't complicated generally, but since I don't like heights I didn't drop in my own liner.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Here’s a news item about the banning of house coal and restrictions on sales of wet wood:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55636395
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6913
    tFB Trader
    We've had a Little Wenlock for 25 years. These days we hardly ever light it as the winters are so mild.