Inexpensive used practice amp?

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
The lad is over the moon with his Birthday guitar (thanks @uberscott ) and also got nearly £100 from various family members - what might he expect to find as a good used buy for a bedroom amp with those funds? 

He'll doubtless want to be able to make both clean and crunchy sounds. Nothing with menus. 
What would you be looking out for? 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yamaha THR5 - does various stages of great clean and dirty, with knobs, no menus. 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    Peavey Bandit 65 - I had one in my youth, and recently picked one up again. Superb amps! Why did I ever get rid?

R.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Line 6 Spider 20 - you can get one new for that price.

The older Spider 15 goes for not much more than half that second hand, so you could get a pedal as well, which might be more useful since a lot of cheaper amps don't have a footswitch option.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Vox 5 mini rhythm. Works off mains or battery. Built in drum machine. I have a THR10 as well but it's the Vox that gets switched on most!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    Vox 5 mini rhythm. Works off mains or battery. Built in drum machine. I have a THR10 as well but it's the Vox that gets switched on most!
    I love mine too, should also have mentioned it... but I haven't been able to use it for months, it was at my singer's house when lockdown started. Hopefully it still is!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    ICBM said:
    Vox 5 mini rhythm. Works off mains or battery. Built in drum machine. I have a THR10 as well but it's the Vox that gets switched on most!
    I love mine too, should also have mentioned it... but I haven't been able to use it for months, it was at my singer's house when lockdown started. Hopefully it still is!

There is no reason he can't put it on your doorstep matey!

Dave.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I bought a Tech21 Trademark 10 for about 70 quid.
    It's a great fun little amp.
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    blackstar fly 3    it is really all you need for a beginner
  • Roland Microcube.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Sassafras said:
    Oh I had one of those way back when - liked it 
    Red ones are better. 
    Cheers.

That Vox Mini 5 looks neat - can be had new for 120 so that may be an option 
    Red ones are better. 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1088
    I always really enjoyed Marshall MGs as a teenager before I got my head stuck up my arse with valve this and handwired that 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Fender Champion 20?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Yamaha THR5 or 10, great sounds and solid build.
    I bought my son the Vox 5 mini rhythm and it's an excellent amp - I think it's the Brian May plays at home!

• uberscottuberscott Frets: 130
    Delighted he likes the guitar! :) 
    ecc83 said:

There is no reason he can't put it on your doorstep matey!
    It would be illegal at the moment... we’re in different local authority areas. In fact, I left it at her house on purpose, I just didn’t expect it would be so long!

It’s actually got another advantage for a singer/guitarist - it has a mic channel too. You can put the reverb on that as well as the guitar. It’s probably just about loud enough to use for guitar and vocals at a little café gig, although we’ve never tried it.

Sassafras said:
    I played one of those for the first time recently. I’ve never really liked the bigger ones - there’s something odd about the overdrive sounds I can’t get on with - but the little one actually sounds great, and remarkably ‘big’ for something with that small a speaker.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Lots of Peavey Backstage (and other) practice amps knocking about for not a lot. I agree ^^^^ THR 5/10 would be ace as they have a good headphone-out for the benefit of the rest of the household ;) (also pretty portable)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    THR10s seem to be a bit more even used and 5s rater used - plus anything that’s collect is off the cards for the foreseeable obviously 

If it were my money for me I’d be tempted by the little Vox one - tuner, drumbeats, basic fx- neat. And 119 new.

He may want to go cheaper - will have a dig in to it with him at the weekend. 

Space is an issue at his rooms at his Mums too - so even if a bargain Bandit copped up it’s probably too big .

Red ones are better. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I got A Marshall MG10 thrown in with a very used  Squier SE strat .I ignored it and was going to give it away  but I tried it and was very surprised how good the cleans were . Overdrive was usable and can be improved  ..I then tried it with a Joyo American sound pedal  and it was much better .It aint the bees knees but certainly a butterflys elbow .