Headphone advice for Helix and Yamaha THR

What's Hot
I use some amazing Pioneer headphones from the 1970s...a family heirloom!!
But they are a bit uncomfortable to wear after a while, and wondering what people recommend. I know impedance rating is important, and only can spend maybe £100 max....but preferrably lower.
Thanks...also, my head (swede) is 7 and 5/8" hat size....v. large!!

Any advice is very welcome...Jon
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you’re not against in ears, shure currently have some killer deals on their se215 Bluetooth and just get a long mmx lead 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 390
    Still looking for headphones...
    (In ear suggestion ..ta, but wouldn't suit me)

BeyerDynamic 770 .... 250 Ohns: any suggestions before I order these.

Thanks Jon
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    lots of threads on headphones in the modelling section on TGP with people saying the 770s are too bright. I have no idea whether that's true - all I know is that reading about headphones has confused me so much that I haven't bought a replacement for my cheapo ones yet ... 

• BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Don't get too hung up on the impedence, the higher ratings are for serious hifi amps which most guitar amps aren't.
    I can recommend the Audio technica ATH-M50 (and ATH-M40) sound really good and are comfortable, well built and light enough to wear for a long time.
    I use mine with my Yamaha THR10 (beige one) and Helix floor and they sound excellent.
    The three swappable cables mean I can use them for general listening too, love them

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3627
    If you are not worried about leakage, i.e. other people hearing you, then AKG K702.  If you need to play without disturbing others then something like the Beyerdynamic DT770.
  • Beyer 770’s, 250 ohms , are what I got for my helix when it was lockdown mk1. They’re great. I managed to snag an Amazon warehouse deal to make it super cheap, too.
    Thanks...sound leakage would be a no no.
    So will look into the two options mentioned.
    Ta Jon
  • I'll disagree and say that you should consider the impedance if you're connecting those headphones to the Helix. The M50X headphones I have sounded fine with audio interfaces and lousy with Helix LT. I bought a pair of Beyer DT880 250 ohm phones and they sorted the problem right out with the LT.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2021
    Thanks..I feel like 007 jumping on those crocodiles across a lake to escape the baddies!! Decision to make carefully
    my audio technicas work fine for me on my helix floor but given what this article says you may be better following @Heartfeltdawn advice above and getting the higher impedence. Always good to learn a bit more :)

• WonkyWonky Frets: 188
    I gave up trying to use headphones with Helix directly. I've tried all the ones everyone says are great with it and they're not.  The interesting thing is that if your helix is plugged into something else, mixing desk, audio interface etc, using any method,   XLR, unbalanced, USB, SPDiff and you plug your phones into that device, everything sounds great.  Leads me to believe that the headphone amp on the Helix is a bit shite TBH.    So most people have something they can plug the Helix into, even if it's a Hi-Fi and that consistently produces better results  and it won't be so picky about what phones you plug in (not that any sound good direct anyway).
    Just my experience.  
    Thanks @wonk i think i’ll go with a mixer as then i can plug anything in and balance the levels easily. 
    Can anyone recommend a mixer?
    I am also looking at a mixer for my Helix.
    Currently considering a Soundcraft Notepad 5 as has a phoneo input and I said cable.
    Maybe something else???